What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 30, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #13,396 of 14,566
I do not recommend messing around with a Pi unless you are a DIY sort. If you like to DIY then go for it. But if you are not a DIY person, get an Elac Discovery Connect which gives you wifi, Roon, Airplay, Bluetooth, basically anything you can throw at it. Digital output if you wish to connect to your DAC or analog out with it's own DAC for flexibility.

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #13,397 of 14,566
I do not recommend messing around with a Pi unless you are a DIY sort. If you like to DIY then go for it. But if you are not a DIY person, get an Elac Discovery Connect which gives you wifi, Roon, Airplay, Bluetooth, basically anything you can throw at it. Digital output if you wish to connect to your DAC or analog out with it's own DAC for flexibility.
I agree. I would say, however, that the level of DIY is within reach of most people I’ve tried to talk into it. It’s got it’s scary moments, but most people get through it.
This thread describes how to put together a Pi2AES in lots of detail: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...-to-pi2aes-throw-away-your-pc-or-laptop.8878/

The process to build a flirc case is much less. If you wanted to try to build an RPistreamer and got stuck there are many of us who would happily jump on a call and talk you through it. And then you get to be satisfied. But I suppose you knew that about diy!

Good luck!

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #13,398 of 14,566
Finally up for air, eh @wink!
1612095459779.png

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #13,399 of 14,566
Bifrost probably won’t come up for repair for another month at least, if not two. Should I get a modi multibit to have as a spare? Another alternative is a chord mojo. I see some on eBay in the mid high 300s.

Advise me O schiit thread

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #13,401 of 14,566
Yggdrasil 2 with Unison and be done. 5 years on (thanks to upgradeability) and I have no desire in trying any other "latest and greatest". Both of mine have been bullet-proof (So far).
I will upgrade to Unison after the CD spinner releases.

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #13,402 of 14,566
Yggdrasil 2 with Unison and be done. 5 years on (thanks to upgradeability) and I have no desire in trying any other "latest and greatest". Both of mine have been bullet-proof (So far).
I will upgrade to Unison after the CD spinner releases.
+1

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #13,403 of 14,566
Feb 5, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #13,404 of 14,566
I got the Mojo for now - I am in escrow and don't want more big possessions - but I am hoping that Yggy will be in my future sometime early next year.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #13,405 of 14,566
I am in escrow and don't want more big possessions
Lurv. Have definitely been there.

got mojo 2 and gumby. Very happy. Spent note on tube rolling than I thought possible, more than mojo itself, but fun adventure. Enjoy! Think hard about Gumby vs Yggy - I listened to a friends and decided I couldn’t justify the price for my ears. I also had a used Gumby with Unison come along before a used Yggy, so I leapt and rationalized :) good luck on house!

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #13,406 of 14,566
Has anyone tried the Walsh Ohm speakers? I'm considering getting some for the condo.

Then again, I'm also considering a baby grand, despite an upright piano being objectively the more reasonable purchase.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #13,407 of 14,566
Walsh Ohms were very highly regarded in the day, and I suspect they still are, but they do not integrate well in all rooms. The setups I have heard were either startlingly good or flat and disappointing, with the same model speaker, depending on the room. If you are curious, get some and try them. They have an in-home test policy I think.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #13,408 of 14,566
Has anyone tried the Walsh Ohm speakers? I'm considering getting some for the condo.

Then again, I'm also considering a baby grand, despite an upright piano being objectively the more reasonable purchase.
Walsh Ohms were very highly regarded in the day, and I suspect they still are, but they do not integrate well in all rooms. The setups I have heard were either startlingly good or flat and disappointing, with the same model speaker, depending on the room. If you are curious, get some and try them. They have an in-home test policy I think.

So if you are okay waiting ~4 months, I can let you know. Placed an order for Walsh 1000s Thursday, long lead time due to waves hands indicating general condition. They do have a 120 day trial policy as well.

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #13,409 of 14,566

I have heard the Ohm Walsh at the NY audio show. I recall they have a diffuse sound. Also, they used a lot of plants to treat the room. It is possible that the speakers require similar objects in the room to breakup the sound.

Have you considered an upright grand?

Feb 8, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #13,410 of 14,566
My place on the schiit queue has moved up one! Hopefully I will be able to do a bifrost/mojo comparison review. It's certainly a handy, whimsical little device, but ultimately I am not bullish on the portable amp/dac market. If you want portable, make better AirPods ala sennheiser. If you want desktop, invest in a traditional chain. The best I could imagine would be if you already require a dac/amp as in KSE1500. Then, adding in an a lossless chip for streaming and the proprietary code of a really good DAC might make the difference. Having a cable go from phone to dac in my pocket has always been a dreadful experience for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back