What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #13,381 of 14,566
@Baldr

Hi Mike,
please can you shed some light on what happens to an USB signal in the Urd from input to output.

Thank you

Matt

BEFORE URD

AFTER URD

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #13,382 of 14,566
Listened to Meistersinger last night - I find Jochum too slow sometimes, and Domingo is not the heldentenor of kollo or Lorenz, but it was very pleasant to listen to nonetheless.
The bifrost has no sound output right now, tried every input and multiple cords, so it will be sent off to schiit in due course, but I decided to hop in line for the unison, and that line seems to be somewhat lengthy right now.
Looking forward to some nice espresso this am.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #13,383 of 14,566
Listened to Meistersinger last night - I find Jochum too slow sometimes, and Domingo is not the heldentenor of kollo or Lorenz, but it was very pleasant to listen to nonetheless.
The bifrost has no sound output right now, tried every input and multiple cords, so it will be sent off to schiit in due course, but I decided to hop in line for the unison, and that line seems to be somewhat lengthy right now.
MJ2 not accidentally switched to the XLR inputs???

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #13,385 of 14,566
For Bayreuth live try Bohm 1966.@bosiemoncrieff is the resident expert on all things Wagner.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #13,386 of 14,566
Re Wagner: read my review of the discography and then pick the ones you want.

RE dac issues: It's not MJ2, MJ2 works fine straight out of the iMac's headphone jack & KSE1500 has no sound line in from Bifrost.

It's a bifrost problem. Still, 5 years w/ no issues is pretty great.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #13,387 of 14,566
Re Wagner: read my review of the discography and then pick the ones you want.

RE dac issues: It's not MJ2, MJ2 works fine straight out of the iMac's headphone jack & KSE1500 has no sound line in from Bifrost.

It's a bifrost problem. Still, 5 years w/ no issues is pretty great.

better to fail at 4 yrs 11 mos (warranty) instead of 5 yrs 1 mos (no warranty) :rolling_eyes:

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #13,388 of 14,566
Not sure if it because I am using a drip coffee maker, if the grind is wrong, or its just me (I know the 3rd one is certainly questionable), but the local to me roaster's Italian roast is too dark, their French roast is good, Italian is more char than anything else.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #13,392 of 14,566
The wait on the bifrost looks like it could be months. I'm 44th in line and haven't moved at all in the last two weeks.

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #13,394 of 14,566
The upgrade system sends you a link that you can check.

The ASUS dvd blu ray drive seems to be shot, giving me lots of stutters when I import CDs. Do they usually go bust after a couple years?

Looking forward to Schiit transport. Also thinking about getting a streamer, if the computer is in a different room from the speakers. What would people recommend for that? Raspberry pi? Is anything airplay 2 compatible? Poly and mojo might work for the reading nook, but I think the eventual yggy will need to be with the speakers.

What were the recs for 4 pin XLR cables? I got one that was dead and had to return.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #13,395 of 14,566
On streamer, I use the Pi2AES, which is a fantastic RPi based system that you assemble yourself and which has BNC/SPDIF/TOSLINK/AES outputs in addition to USB; I use RopieeeXL on it and BNC(SPDIF) into my Gungnir MB. If you have an Yggy, definitely try AES. Total cost of about $250, and you can find details on how to put it together on SBAF - let me know and I’ll send the link. But a flirc cased RPi would be $70, and that is fine if you like Unison.

I use Monoprice XLR cables for about $10 from Amazon. They’re fine/great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back