What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 4, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #12,931 of 14,566
I agree; I was merely curious about this particular facet of the GAIN system as mentioned by @Baldr in this older post:

Isn't the point of the megaburrito filter that it retains the original samples?
I'm by no means an expert here, just working from my very basic understanding of signal processing... A PCM DAC receives a sequence of digital samples, and creates a continuous waveform from them. Each sample ideally represent an instantaneous measurement of the original analog waveform, with the samples regularly separated in time at the sample rate (such as 44.1k samples/second). What happens to the analog waveform between the sample points? That's the job of the reconstruction filter in the DAC. Now let's go to the ADC that created the samples. Each sample is an ideal point measurement of the captured waveform, but in physical reality, any such measurement is averaged (smeared) over a short time interval (think of the shutter speed in a camera for an analogy, and how a fast moving subject gets smeared if the shutter speed is too slow). So, the ADC needs a means of dealing with this smearing that avoids creating audible artifacts — stuff not on the original waveform — especially for fast transients — such as the leading edges of percussion or plucked string sounds. That's where some kind of digital filter comes in, such as the "inverse megaburrito" filter that @Baldr mentions.

You can see how the ADC and DAC filters are in some sense each other's inverse: the ADC filter figures out how to create instantaneous samples that reflect the full analog waveform in a desired way, while the DAC filter works to recreate the full waveform from the instantaneous samples.

For anyone who has heard of Nyquist's theorem all of this may seem redundant, but the theorem is not quite in force in the physical world because real music and real electronics are not strictly band-limited as the theorem requires.

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #12,934 of 14,566
Thank you again, @earnmyturns .

It would be interesting to read about how the megaburrito filter handled analog-to-digital conversion differently from other filters (I imagine Parks McClellan for D/S ADCs.) I own a few MoFi records from Mike's GAIN system era and they sound really good through a Schiit MB DAC.

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #12,935 of 14,566
As the most junior guy in the DD’s radio room, my dad said the other sailors sent him to make their coffee (1942ish). He’d never had a cup, so obv never made it either. Therefore filled with water, saw coffee in the percolator basket, turned it on. Yes, they were previously used grounds. Surprisingly, he lived...

At morning stand easy, the Flight Chief sent the young erk to the canteen
"Get me a pork pie".
"What if they don't have any, Chief".
"Just get me anything."

He came back with 20 cigarettes.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #12,939 of 14,566
I recently changed the audio output of my older Yamaha disc changer from optical to coax. The impetus for the change was that IIRC, Baldr had said that toslink sounds like ass. I did not know what to expect be different, if anything.

My ears are telling me I am hearing more detail in the music, especially drums. I am pleasantly surprised by the difference. Has anyone experienced a similar result.

At some point, I will do an A-B comparison, but for now I am going to listen to familiar music to see if I keep hearing differences.

Sep 4, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #12,940 of 14,566
I recently changed the audio output of my older Yamaha disc changer from optical to coax. The impetus for the change was that IIRC, Baldr had said that toslink sounds like ass. I did not know what to expect be different, if anything.

My ears are telling me I am hearing more detail in the music, especially drums. I am pleasantly surprised by the difference. Has anyone experienced a similar result.

At some point, I will do an A-B comparison, but for now I am going to listen to familiar music to see if I keep hearing differences.

yes, IMO definitely an improvement using coax (instead of optical) on my setup: sony NS500V -> Bifrost OG -> Asgard 2 -> mid-tier planars.

note that according to the specs, most (if not all) Schiit DAC's use the same AK4113 S/PDIF receiver to handle both the coaxial and optical inputs, (plus other interfaces on BF2, Gumby, Yggy), so this difference is likely across their entire line.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #12,941 of 14,566
snip
Isn't the point of the megaburrito filter that it retains the original samples?
From my understanding the Megaburrito filter is, in part, and greatly simplified, a solution to essentially divide by 0, (a mathematical conundrum).

Translated this means that both the EXACT amplitude AND the EXACT time at which that amplitude occurres are used in the calculations and so the output waveform is more time and amplitude aligned to each other, and thus the analog waveform is more precisely re-created.

IOW since the output waveform is more precise in both domains, (amplitude and time) those subtle inner details, which we so appreciate and value, are more precisely re-created as well.
This in turn means that more of the subtle nuances inherent in the music are created (with their proper timing) and so we hear a higher degree of SQ with the harmonics and low level signals being more evident and aligned to their 'parent' sources.

This is the goal of any DAC, to faithfully re-create the original complex analog musical signal, and the Megaburrito re-creation algorithms pay attention to the time domain, which are 'linked' to the amplitude calculations.
This added precision then 'adds' those cherished inner details (or doesn't miscalculate them based upon inaccuracies) resulting in a more precise re-creation of the original signal as it was originally digitized.

Just my 2¢ :thinking:

JJ :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #12,942 of 14,566

Toslink, as I understand it, suffers from consuming too much coffee. Da*$#it! I hate it when these new phones take autocorrect to new levels! What I mean to say is that Toslink has issues with jitter...

Sep 4, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #12,943 of 14,566
This was my experience as well. Unison USB was also an easily noticeable upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back