What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #10,021 of 14,566
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #10,022 of 14,566
Also maybe the reason D/S Jil hasn't sold well is the missing Multibit factor.
Just my intuitive feeling, but I think the consumer audio market for standalone A-to-D converters is minuscule and not profitable. Looking at the Schiit's product lineup, I would have already guessed Jil to be one of the slowest selling items.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #10,023 of 14,566
Single speed? All CD transports/players have variable speed motors by necessity. The laser track is written to be read back at a constant linear velocity. The disc spins faster as the head reads towards the inner diameter (about 2.5x faster than the outer diameter).

I've wondered whether there could be an advantage to using a portable or car mechanism because they need built-in redundancy to cope with adverse conditions (vibration, temperature, dirt, etc)

Do players that do CD, DVD, BRD, and UHD all use the same (variable) speed motor? I'd venture a guess that most of the motors out there in use are to fit a variety of playback schemes.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #10,024 of 14,566
From Mike's Jan. transport post, I took it that the transport will handle resolutions higher than 16/44.1 cd quality.

He said "So the transport will include a USB host (audio output), and a BWD with destination clock features, in addition to AES and S/PDIF ROW features. We do have a proto running, that still has a few bugs to fix, mostly in our USB interface. What we have our attention on now is a stubborn bit selection 16/24/32. What a waste of time 32 audio bit is, kinda like a hub cap on a pizza, but people expect it, so we waste our time."

Why build a cd only transport when the top two Schiit dacs handle higher resolution? Think hi res up to 192 will be fine. No SACD, since Schiit dacs don't incorporate DSD.

Feb 26, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #10,025 of 14,566
So looking at this paper only leaves me more confused. The title is Multibit Delta Sigma ADC.... So I thought Multibit and Delta Sigma were mutually exclusive?
A sentence from that paper: "However, the performance bottleneck is usually the linearity of the internal multibit digital-to-analog converter (DAC), which needs to be at least as good as that of the overall ADC."
So, the delta-sigma ADC has an internal multibit DAC. Go figure. So little do I know about ADC's...

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #10,026 of 14,566
A sentence from that paper: "However, the performance bottleneck is usually the linearity of the internal multibit digital-to-analog converter (DAC), which needs to be at least as good as that of the overall ADC."
So, the delta-sigma ADC has an internal multibit DAC. Go figure. So little do I know about ADC's...
I glanced at the paper. The internal DAC is used in a feedback circuit to correct ADC nonlinearity. Roughly speaking, it takes the ADC output, converts it to an analog correction signal, which is then added to the ADC's input as a correction.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #10,027 of 14,566
From Mike's Jan. transport post, I took it that the transport will handle resolutions higher than 16/44.1 cd quality.

He said "So the transport will include a USB host (audio output), and a BWD with destination clock features, in addition to AES and S/PDIF ROW features. We do have a proto running, that still has a few bugs to fix, mostly in our USB interface. What we have our attention on now is a stubborn bit selection 16/24/32. What a waste of time 32 audio bit is, kinda like a hub cap on a pizza, but people expect it, so we waste our time."

Why build a cd only transport when the top two Schiit dacs handle higher resolution? Think hi res up to 192 will be fine. No SACD, since Schiit dacs don't incorporate DSD.

No, it will be a CD transport only.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #10,028 of 14,566

Don't confuse multiple bit sigma delta DAC chips with what Mike calls a multibit DAC.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #10,031 of 14,566
I always wondered why early CDs were marketed with just 45 or so minutes. Or albums like Pink Floyd's The Wall, was spread out over 2 discs. It appears that modern discs are packed up to 75-80 minutes of tracks... and bonus tracks... and out takes... Not all audio CDs are produced equally, it seems.
If I'm understanding what you mentioned about early CDs, I don't believe they were limited to 45 minutes at all. That's not to say there weren't any produced with ONLY 45 minutes on it. The original design was for 72 minutes, and that because the president (I think it was the president) of Sony wanted to be sure Beethoven's 9th symphony could fit on one CD. I'm not sure any standard CDs now can go past 80 minutes.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #10,032 of 14,566
It was about ADC's, not DAC's.

Ok, don't confuse multibit sigma delta ADCs with what Mike would call a multibit ADC.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #10,033 of 14,566
What is the oldest Linux kernel version which will support the Unison (Schiit) USB board. messed if I know – the oldest working kernel I have personally compiled and verified is 4.19. If I had infinite time I would build them all backwards until failure. I suspect any kernel incorporating UAC2 should work.

Code:
$ git log --oneline include/linux/usb/audio.h
8fee4aff8c89 ALSA: usbaudio: introduce new types for audio class v2
$ git name-rev 8fee4aff8c89
8fee4aff8c89 tags/v2.6.34-rc1~3^2~5^2~4

So likely anything v2.6.35 and later, +- bugs and the like has UAC2.

Feb 27, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #10,035 of 14,566
Why don’t we all just wait to see what the new products are over the next few months?

Then we'd have nothing to talk about, and the thread would consist only of cat gifs. :smile_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back