What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 15, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #9,301 of 14,565
Oh I'll probably just get the 3L but I said 10 for effect

listening to Rudolf Serkin rock the third beethoven concerto. @Baldr's bimby does magic with the Airmotiv 4S - even if i should spring for transducers worthier of their dac - alas, perhaps not the most appropriate in the bachelor pad

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #9,302 of 14,565
JRiver has the ability to change the tempo, too, independent of pitch. I haven't fooled with it.
I suspect some radio stations use it to speed-up music, making more time for on-air commercials.

:)
Yes it (Jriver) does, I have been using it this way for a few years now.

I shifted the pitch to closer to 432Hz (not the C=256) tuning and have no desire to disable it, even in those few rare cases where I should.

JJ

Oct 16, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #9,303 of 14,565
Bosie,

You seem to keep finding other things to buy every time a Yggy is within your reach. (I could be mis-remembering but; move to a new apartment, artwork for new apartment, speakers for new apartment, new Macbook, coffee related apparatus...)
Yggus Interruptus?

Don't forget the espresso machine itself and KSE1500

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #9,304 of 14,565
As much as I love playing with new gear and Schiit, I think money is best spent on transducers first. After you have top-of-the-line headphones, speakers, whatever, you should look into better amps and DACs.

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #9,305 of 14,565
As much as I love playing with new gear and Schiit, I think money is best spent on transducers first. After you have top-of-the-line headphones, speakers, whatever, you should look into better amps and DACs.
I'm kind of maxxed out on transducers. The 1.1 upgrade Ether C Flows for my headphone systems is blowing me away. The KEF Reference 1s + REL T7is on the Yggy v2-sourced 2-channel system downstairs are unlikely to be beaten for that particular space, at least within my time budget for evaluating speakers. So, my spare geek time and spend are going into DACs and head amps, and a bit into streamers, which are lot easier to switch around to compare. My current question is whether NOS DACs are my long-term bet for hybrid headamps. When my Yggy downstairs was v1, I wasn't convinced it would be a good headphone DAC, which is why I got into NOS. But now, with the v2 versions of Gumby and Yggy, I'm wondering. Except that in the meanwhile I got a NOS Metrum Onyx to evaluate on my home headphone system, it's sounding pretty seductive.

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #9,307 of 14,565
I'm kind of maxxed out on transducers. The 1.1 upgrade Ether C Flows for my headphone systems is blowing me away. The KEF Reference 1s + REL T7is on the Yggy v2-sourced 2-channel system downstairs are unlikely to be beaten for that particular space, at least within my time budget for evaluating speakers. So, my spare geek time and spend are going into DACs and head amps, and a bit into streamers, which are lot easier to switch around to compare. My current question is whether NOS DACs are my long-term bet for hybrid headamps. When my Yggy downstairs was v1, I wasn't convinced it would be a good headphone DAC, which is why I got into NOS. But now, with the v2 versions of Gumby and Yggy, I'm wondering. Except that in the meanwhile I got a NOS Metrum Onyx to evaluate on my home headphone system, it's sounding pretty seductive.

That is exactly how I feel with my Monitor Audio Platinum PL100 II & BK XXLS400 with my Gumby, sounds so life like if I listen to live music and close my eyes it is almost like actually being there!

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #9,308 of 14,565
If you haven't you should give the Raidho D1.1 a listen, they might change your mind...
There we go into the small new car price region... The dealer where I got my KEFs does carry Raidho. Trouble trouble.

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #9,311 of 14,565
For the clumsy like me good speakers are expensive.
If I tried to build a set myself they wouldn't be identical so no go.
I am not allowed to think about speakers that is why focus on headphone now

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #9,313 of 14,565
No one pays retail for them though. You can find them on 'gon for 10 - 12k which is still expensive, but man are they some amazing sounding speakers!
That's a bit more than I paid for my KEF speakers new...

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #9,314 of 14,565
Posted similar on the Jason’s thread then I realized that for the digital part here is the better place.
Very interesting interview with a lot of news regarding many products and ideas. For me personally the most interesting part was the USB item. As understood, the ”receiver” part is done and probably the next dacs will have it as USB input. What was more intresting was that also a USB hub is under work so that the other end of the USB chain will be addressed. As i understood the candidates to receive it are the music processor (former Gadget) and a possible transport. Now I have understood that Schiit is not intrested in designing a streamer and I fully agree that is not necessary due to the same reasons expressed by Jason and Mike in the interview. I also noted Mike’s position on the streamers in general (sounding as ass..) but I hope, that at least partially, he will reconsider. Let me explain my case that probably is not quite unique. I do not have a big house, actually due to the work we changed the living place every 3-4 years. Usually we live in rented apartments, not very small but neither big to accommodate a dedicated audio space and most important the apartment is not mine. In these conditions even the CD collection became a burdain and now all of them are safely stored in boxes after they were ripped as flac files and stored on a NAS.
The next issue was that for USB connected DACs, the computer was close to the audio system that was far from optimal (family use, estetic reason, audio quality etc) so I start looking for a solution. I First I’ve look at the dedicated streamers and “audio computers/servers” offers but after deep consideration I was not convinced that deserve the huge prices that are asked. Finally I decided to go with a self built solution so I’ve used a raspberry pi and an Odroid C2 as computers and a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro and a 502DAC HATs. The last two are extension boards for the RasPi or Odroid C2 that use the I2S interface from the Gpio for the audio and output a digital signal SPDIF or AES to the DAC. The device is connected to the network (wire or WIFI) and could function as standalone using either Volumio or Moode players or could act as an UPNP renderer for other players intalled on a PC ( in my case Audirvana on an iMac). I have also in use a Schiit Eitr for the same purpose but it is using the not so good Raspberry Pi USB output. The solution solved many of the problems and is very convenient in use. For ~200usd (Pi, board, software and psu) plus less than 1 hour for installation and settings is great.
Now my point is that will be great if Schiit will design such extention board for Raspberry pi based on their USB implementation. It will not be a streamer to require software development and maintenance except the driver part but this probably is anyhow to be solved if their USB will be used with the Schiit Pi announced to be developed for the internal use in different Schiit digital products (transport, music processor, DACs). Also will be the last piece needed to have the posibility to configure o full Schiit system from the digital source to the amp for the ones that from various reasons could not build/mantain a physical music library (CDs or vynil).
If not asking too much, it will be great if Mike would like to address this idea even in very short form (yes/no).
Thank you and good luck with your very busy plan for the next 10 years. Hopefully many will take much less than that :).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back