1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)

Discussion in 'Mike Moffat (Baldr)' started by baldr, Oct 13, 2015.
First

Back
612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621
623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632
Next

Last
  1. CAPT Deadpool
    Their are a few of us here with either Hifiberry hats or 502DAC Hats, I own the later and I built a Hifiberry based Pi for a friend on here, both running Moode. What PSU did you use? I've just been using a USB cable plugged into a tripp-lite or a Apple iPad brick. I don't know if it is worth the $50 for the ifipower.

2. madwolfa
    Question to @Baldr - would Sol include a dust cover by any chance? I have two kids and a cat...

riffrafff likes this.
  3. Lucser
    I have used the same for a while. Currently I use a 5V iFiPower. I plan for long time to build a linear PSU with 2 separate rails to power separately the pi and 502DAC. I have all the parts, the PCB but still looking for a good transformer, some more free time and ... a bit of diligence from my part :). I think iFiPower is an improvement over a generic charger but I didn’t have the time to make comparisons between them and at this price, the time is more precious. The PSU part, if someone want to build one, I consider it DIY requiring some minimum skills but for the player itself no DIY skills or tools required.
    For the ones interested, to put together the player you just need to put the two boards together by the GPIO connector, download an image file and following some step by step instructions to write on a microsd card and make the settings. Volumio is the easiest one, you just write the image file on the memory card with a dedicated application, insert the card in the Raspberry Pi, power it and access the interface from any device with a web browser. Then you change the settings in the interface to suit your DAC and media file location and play. Moode is requiring some additional steps in order to create the memory card, otherwise everything else is the same. For the case there are several available someplaces, depending on your board of choice but a good looking box of the appropriate size is enough and since you have nothing to operate on the player so you can just install it out of sight and foget about it.
    For the price (~100-200usd) of the PI and any of the existing cards it worth the experience. In the end, if you think is not good enough for your reference system, you will have at least a very convenient and compact player that you can use anywhere in your house or workplace. Highly recommended.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    ItsAllInMyHead and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  4. earnmyturns
    My work system is Pi 2 + Pi Touch screen + 502DAC (as a S/PDIF source only) running piCorePlayer. Audiophonics LPS. I needed to adjust up the LPS output voltage (it has an adjsutment screw) to prevent lightning bolt complaint from Pi from voltage drop. It all works beautifully now.

CAPT Deadpool likes this.
  5. KoshNaranek
  6. Ableza
    I use a Sonore Ultrarendu. Comparing it directly with my CD transport both through Yggdrasil, the sound is so close as to be the same to my ears.

7. EricDH
    Looks like you will have to make a choice......

liamo, barondla and riffrafff like this.
  8. CAPT Deadpool
    Want!

Working my way though the old postings.

9. bosiemoncrieff
    There's a lot that is inaudible to my ears.

I'm on the fence about whether to get the Peak or the EK43S first - on the one hand, the EK43S is the more versatile grinder, on the other it's the espresso that my Breville SGP has the greatest trouble with. EK43 and the new S version are rightly considered the kings of grinders - they do exactly one thing well (grind) but have no capability for dosing, holding portafilters, etc. I would have to measure the beans out into a cup, weigh it, grind it into the cup, and then put it into the portafilter.

10. HumanFly
    bosiemoncrieff and JohnnyCanuck like this.
  11. bosiemoncrieff
  12. earnmyturns
    When I first read this, I thought you meant one of these rare beasts (I just acquired SN #22), but then I realized your coffee obsession is greater than my audio obsession -- although I'm a bit of a coffee snob myself.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    bosiemoncrieff likes this.
  13. bosiemoncrieff
    It's a gorgeous espresso machine. It's just beautiful.

Although I don't regret purchasing the Double Boiler, I'm aware that spending 4-5x on the espresso machine what I spent on the grinder is a poor balance - the price ratio should be closer to 1:1 - though once you hit Mahlkonig there's not much higher you can go.

Gave my second (of three) Arabella tickets to a less-well-off colleague, so we'll have to wait till the end of the month to get a another sense of how it is. Gonna check this out tomorrow.

I'm reading Opera as Drama and really getting into Joseph Kerman. Buy his books on amazon. They're cheap.

The opening salvo on Puccini from Opera as Drama's introduction is priceless — "a shabby little shocker" — at times, he feels like a more bougie and british compatriot of Mike's.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  14. Baldr
    I arrived back home from RMAF and an extended week of National Park visiting in Southern Utah over the weekend. Wow! Bryce Canyon, Arches, Capitol Reef, Zion, and Canyonlands. The capper was the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Simply stunning. Almost argues intelligent universe design.

So back here at Schiit setting up the order of the cast parts for the Sol. (Someone asked if we include a dustcover – Sorry, no. There are folks on ebay who custom fabricate them, albeit for mucho $$$.) We need to go to the foundry to work out some cosmetic aspects of said cast parts. Then we will be at the point where everything should be on order for the Sol. I stand by first quarter 2019 delivery.

Next on the horizon will be the transport, the music processor/DAC front end, and a (tease, tease) top secret apparatus for the second quarter next year. The transport needs a bit of programming from Ivana, a button/control processor which is a major imbedded step towards the Schiit Pie, and a layout of the signal processing section. Call that second/third quarter 2019.

The music processor is a bit further out. The gadget engineering/proof of concept is done. I will be soon playing with an expander to see if it feasible in a lack of sonic fuctivity sense. The key is independent unlimit/expansion params which could be a giant whet dream. The only way to judge is to do it.

The new USB is done through Beta. A major caveat is that it is our first USB section and will need quite a bit of Beta eval since I want to ensure it really will work with any equipment, any time, and anywhere. More will be revealed.

So all of this Schiit is being worked on – should come out in this order:

1. Sol.

2. Transport

3. That which cannot be uttered.

4. Music processor/Swiss Army Knife/DAC front end; Hell, I don’t know WTF to call it.

Stay tuned – I hope to finish the ten year plan in five! It is good to be back!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
  15. Ripper2860
    We're gonna need a bigger rack!! :wink:

First

Back
612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621
623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632
Next

Last