What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #9,197 of 14,566
As usual with all things in this hobby some will like it, some won't, I'll be making up my own mind.

Oct 9, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #9,198 of 14,566
JRiver's DSP Studio allows the pitch to be changed from A=440Hz to A=432Hz (or about anywhere else).
It's a percentage change. So, I set the pitch at A=432Hz (-2%) and left it there for awhile.

At first, I thought that I liked it there, but after awhile it became annoying.
Everything just sounded flat and "too slow."
The pitch adjustment is not supposed to affect tempo (per JR) but a lot of music sounded slow, to me.
So, I set it back to A=440Hz.

Perhaps some music - possibly classical and acoustic guitar (like the example posted here) - may benefit from the lower pitch tuning.
It's probably also a matter of brain programming.
If I always heard a symphony or piano tuned to A=432Hz, then A=440Hz would likely sound too fast/bright.

An interesting experiment. If you want me to try a certain piece of music, just ask. :)

Oct 9, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #9,200 of 14,566
Oct 9, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #9,201 of 14,566
Ass is quite a broad term. :)

I'm just making slight adjustments to EQ and pitch in JR.
I remember Mike wrote that digital tuning eats up effective bits of resolution, at around 5dB of EQ. So, I watch it.

I would very much like to explore analogue EQ via the Loki Max - need balanced connections for my rig!

So net there 'ya go.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #9,202 of 14,566
You can say it's "just" a DSP, but no one has to date made a DSP that doesn't sound like ass.
Whatever this is it's clearly not what I think it is. I used a digital tuner back when I was in band to ensure my woodwinds were in good order. Can someone please explain what else this "gadget" is doing? Because a digital tuner is nothing new or special, you can buy one at any music shop.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #9,203 of 14,566
Oh this is bizarre. I've never heard of a tuner used to tune the sound of a loudspeaker. I understand the use of one to tune your sax, your string or even your drum kit, but... loudspeakers? I guess technically they are "instruments" but I honestly thought this whole time we were talking about something for real world instruments.

Oct 9, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #9,204 of 14,566
Whatever this is it's clearly not what I think it is. I used a digital tuner back when I was in band to ensure my woodwinds were in good order. Can someone please explain what else this "gadget" is doing? Because a digital tuner is nothing new or special, you can buy one at any music shop.
That sort of "digital tuner" only gave you a read out of some sort to let you know that your instrument was or was not in tune. It didn't change the pitch of what you were playing, you did. The gadget is nothing like that. If you are interested in a description do a search for the term in posts from Baldr.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #9,205 of 14,566
Oh this is bizarre. I've never heard of a tuner used to tune the sound of a loudspeaker. I understand the use of one to tune your sax, your string or even your drum kit, but... loudspeakers? I guess technically they are "instruments" but I honestly thought this whole time we were talking about something for real world instruments.
It's a transposing device and here used to transpose all harmony (so the song as a whole) down.
It's for canned music only.
So A4 is not 440Hz but 432Hz and C4 is not 261.62Hz but 256Hz (Verdi Pitch/Tuning).
The rest of the song will transpose accordingly
For you as a musician it's far easier.
You ask the Oboe for a 432Hz A key and the whole orchestra pitches with that as a base.
Or you tune your own A to 432Hz with your own digital tuner.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #9,206 of 14,566
I have been using the DSP functions within Jriver for several years now and have multiple functions all running at the same time.
Starting with down sampling everything to 44.1 for any track with a faster bit rate, LOTS of EQ including SSBB (SubSonic Bass Boost), pitch shifting to 432Hz, channel balance, PRT (Phase Reversal Tweak) and others.

It decidedly does not sound like ass, in fact the EQ I use, compensates for the 800's bass drop off (the SSBB) by adding +16dB at 15Hz.
This is affected by other adjustments so the overall bass boost is ≈ +5dB.
This delivers bass below 20Hz that can be felt in the chest, and no I don't know how that is possible either.

These adjustments took a while to dial them all in and all of my early attempts to use DSP were 'unsatisfactory' (did sound like ass) until SonarWorks came along and showed me what was possible.

Yes I do agree that DSP can sound like ass when haphazardly set up, but that isn't always the case, and true enough it does take a fair amount of fussing with the dials, so to speak.
But I simply wouldn't run my system without these 'enhancements'.
I wrote up my 3 key DSP 'enhancements' and posted them in the cookbook thread for those with a curious bent.

JJ

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #9,207 of 14,566
Sounds like you know how to clean a grinder! I'm a big light roast enthusiast, so I have few problems with oil. To each his own, however.
I heard on a CBC Radio show a couple of months ago that there’s an ~3 minute window for getting the most desirable roast (i.e., maximum caffeine, least perceived bitterness). I roast beans on a frying pan... generate a pissload of oily smoke.... and I think I’ve got the hang of it. And yet, I still have to give my grinder a smack to the head to dislodge all that ground goodness!
On the A= 432 vs 440 thing, all you have to do is listen.
Night and day to me, but from what Mike and Jason say only 60 to 70% can hear the difference, thus the definition of tone deaf?
I doubt many here can not tell the difference being in this hobby....{snip}...

As usual with all things in this hobby some will like it, some won't, I'll be making up my own mind.

You can say it's "just" a DSP, but no one has to date made a DSP that doesn't sound like ass.
DSP means ‘digital sound processor’, eh. I’m curious to see how Schiit markets it alongside the Loki Mini. Will the Gadget cannibalize sales of their other (& future) tone-control doohickies?
As I re-rip my CD collection, I use Foobar2000’s ‘AcurrateRip’ and ‘GainReplay’ features. In a manner, I guess these are also a type of DSP.... I’m reminded that DSP doesn’t equal bad.
Ass is quite a broad term. :)....{snip}....I'm just making slight adjustments to EQ and pitch in JR.....{sinip}....I remember Mike wrote that digital tuning eats up effective bits of resolution, at around 5dB of EQ. So, I watch it.......{snip}....I would very much like to explore analogue EQ via the Loki Max - need balanced connections for my rig!.....{snip}....So net there 'ya go.
Mmmmmm, ass (woops, wrong slang :ksc75smile:). Re: lost resolution with EQ. It’s an interesting trade-off, that I suspect the Loki also does. What I discovered is that farting around with my Loki with podcasts made no detectable difference on my headphones. I’m going to plunk on my cans and pipe that YouTube episode through my listening nook to see if I can detect a significant difference....

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #9,208 of 14,566
A=432 from the video feels to me that I am not that relaxed. Its like Im expecting the next beat or strum in advance.

Weird

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #9,209 of 14,566
It's not a tuner, it's a pitch shifting device that modifies the tuning/pitch of the original product. Got it?

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #9,210 of 14,566
My understanding of the Loki product(s) is they EQ the analog signal path.
They are not digital devices, so not DSP.

That is why I'm interested in the Loki max.
I can already do DSP in JR, but, per Mike - changing EQ in the analog path is the way to go.

I respect his judgment, of course, why else would they be working on this product. :)
And, I want Loki Max because my rig is fully balanced, and never going back to SE.

FWIW, friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back