What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 11, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #9,227 of 14,564
This has been exactly my issue with the Gadget. The tuning is part of the performance, just like the tempo. If a musician plays something in A=440 and again in A=432, they would play it differently. Retuning a 440 recording to 432 isn't representative of how the musician would actually play the same music in 432.

So I feel that the Gadget doesn't just change the sound. It effectively changes the performance.

I accept that some people feel just do whatever sounds best to you, but the artist intention matters to me. Suppose there is a Gadget-2 to adjust playback speed without affecting pitch or degrading sound quality. Would you use it on your favorite recordings?

JRiver has the ability to change the tempo, too, independent of pitch. I haven't fooled with it.
I suspect some radio stations use it to speed-up music, making more time for on-air commercials.

:)

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #9,228 of 14,564
It's called a "Gadget" because it is just that. It's a gadget, a plaything, an electronic widget. It's for experimenters and those who like to play around and try new things with their music. It is not intended to be for everyone, nor is it intended to be the path to enlightenment. If you read Mike's commentary on the development it began as just an idea, a "what if" exercise. A challenge. It turned into a potentially unique implementation of DSP and mathematics, like the mega-combo-burrito-filter. It's still a prototype. If it becomes a product I will likely try it. I might like it. I might hate it. But I promise not to judge its worth to anyone but myself. :)

Oct 11, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #9,229 of 14,564
I'll be surprised if the Gadget becomes a real product for sale this year.

Oct 11, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #9,231 of 14,564
And not ever in this form.

This might be true. I'm actually hoping for a balanced gadget with switchable output (Loki Maxi style if i were to push my wish a bit further).

Also I'd like to echo the same sentitments as @Ableza

I might like it. I might hate it. But I promise not to judge its worth to anyone but myself

but for sure i will buy it :)

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #9,232 of 14,564
...{snip}....
We do not re-color a Rembrandt because we would like it better.....{snip}....

Canadian musician Joni Mitchell mused about that once in a live concert (that I heard on tape/CD?). An audience member wanted her to play Ladies Of The Canyon, like she did in 1970... almost the same quote. Might be misquoting her but the sentiment's the same.

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #9,233 of 14,564
It's called a "Gadget" because it is just that. It's a gadget, a plaything, an electronic widget. It's for experimenters and those who like to play around and try new things with their music. It is not intended to be for everyone, nor is it intended to be the path to enlightenment. If you read Mike's commentary on the development it began as just an idea, a "what if" exercise. A challenge. It turned into a potentially unique implementation of DSP and mathematics, like the mega-combo-burrito-filter. It's still a prototype. If it becomes a product I will likely try it. I might like it. I might hate it. But I promise not to judge its worth to anyone but myself. :)
...like my Loki Mini. Interesting musing, @Ableza .

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #9,234 of 14,564
- SNIP- It's still a prototype. If it becomes a product I will likely try it. I might like it. I might hate it. But I promise not to judge its worth to anyone but myself. :)
I'm distraught! How can I decide to purchase a yet-to-be-released product w/o first hearing your judgment. :wink:

I'll take the reins. If you won't judge it for others, I will.

Everyone should buy the Gadget if/when it's released. It will be worth it.

It will allow you to sync the tuning of the music to your inner-self. You and your music can literally be in-tune with the universe. You can do A=440 to see if it meshes with Metallica. Then you can try C=256 and see how that floats your boat with Boney M. If you try A=435 with Verdi's Requiem; skies will clear; children will sing; PCT and those who Wind him up will mend fences as a demonstration of hope for peace in the middle east. It will bring joy to the world!

It still won't be as good for SQ as when I put the new rhodium filament fuse in my DAC, but we're talking about subtle changes here, folks, not night and day.

*Benefits and side-effects have not been evaluated by the FDA/EPA/AMA/ABA/FCC/FTC/CPSC/DMV/NHTSA/TSA/SEC/ASCAP/UL/ISO/AATCC/ASTM or any other regulatory agencies, standards bodies, or trade organizations either legitimate or illegitimate.

Seriously though, I will be getting one, if/when it's released. It sounds neat-o.

Oct 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #9,235 of 14,564
Oct 12, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #9,236 of 14,564
I think it's tremendous to speculate about Schiit launching new digital products.
That is a big part of the fun over on Jason's analog side of Head-Fi. Why should Jason have all the fun, 'eh Bosie?

And, not only if/when we will buy, but how we will connect two or three in our home/work/garage systems.

Then comes the evaluation! The new technology merges with our whisky, bourbon, beer, wine, pizza, coffee, opera, bluegrass, cats & dogs, among other essential components of life.
Sonic experimentation and eventual nirvana are coming, mates!
Buckle up!! :)

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #9,237 of 14,564
Next up at the @Baldr Skunk-Works ...

The Reverberator!!

(Early prototype picture provided by anonymous source. Tape inputs signals an upcoming cassette or reel-to-reel in the future.)

16200794653_f56b37df8b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #9,238 of 14,564
I think it's tremendous to speculate about Schiit launching new digital products.
That is a big part of the fun over on Jason's analog side of Head-Fi. Why should Jason have all the fun, 'eh Bosie?

And, not only if/when we will buy, but how we will connect two or three in our home/work/garage systems.

Then comes the evaluation! The new technology merges with our whisky, bourbon, beer, wine, pizza, coffee, opera, bluegrass, cats & dogs, among other essential components of life.
Sonic experimentation and eventual nirvana are coming, mates!
Buckle up!! :)
Wait a Minute!
When did we discuss Pizza?
Did I miss it?

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #9,239 of 14,564
Wait a Minute!
When did we discuss Pizza?
Did I miss it?

Pizza crust and spaghetti sauce recipes!
Both posted by Pietro ... the ultimate renaissance man ... I believe on Jason's thread.

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #9,240 of 14,564
Only the thinnest pizza crust. Change my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back