What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 15, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #8,793 of 14,566
FLAC and ALAC are compressed audio. I think you may be specifically referring to lossless compression vs lossy compression. To your point, however, you are correct. No way to uncompress lossy audio like mp3.
I'm actually referring to the analog compressors used for dynamic range compression. That's what actually crushes the mix. I don't really care about lossy /lossless digital file compression. A well mixed, un-squished 320 kbps is fine with me.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #8,794 of 14,566
@Pietro,

We will be in Italy for a two weeks vacation, nice to be out of the sandpit for some time. I will practice what I have learned here and drink BEER with my pizza (instead of wine). Cultural awareness thanks to the Head-Fi forum.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #8,796 of 14,566
@Pietro,

We will be in Italy for a two weeks vacation, nice to be out of the sandpit for some time. I will practice what I have learned here and drink BEER with my pizza (instead of wine). Cultural awareness thanks to the Head-Fi forum.
Good... Don't forget: No cappuccino after 9AM and drink your espresso at the bar.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #8,797 of 14,566
Good... Don't forget: No cappuccino after 9AM and drink your espresso at the bar.

I know, have picked that up during my previous vacations in Italy. My wife will keep violating that rule though. But then, she is Arab, and Arabs don't follow any rules (spend 5 minutes in the traffic here in Saudi Arabia and you'll know what I mean).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #8,798 of 14,566
A switch would work too.
One with jitter free data passage.

Jitter really isn't the problem with switches and routers. At least not how we typically use them. The problem we need to be concerned with is how much noise is passed through the switch to the endpoint or DAC (if it has an Ethernet input). Even though 100 MBit and GigE Ethernet use transformers for isolation (similar to what Schiit did with the Eitr and Gen 5 USB), they still pass on high impedance noise. This can be mitigated using the right general purpose switch. UpTone Audio is designing a switch right now that will block most of this noise to an even greater degree.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #8,799 of 14,566
Jitter really isn't the problem with switches and routers. At least not how we typically use them. The problem we need to be concerned with is how much noise is passed through the switch to the endpoint or DAC (if it has an Ethernet input). Even though 100 MBit and GigE Ethernet use transformers for isolation (similar to what Schiit did with the Eitr and Gen 5 USB), they still pass on high impedance noise. This can be mitigated using the right general purpose switch. UpTone Audio is designing a switch right now that will block most of this noise to an even greater degree.
Thanks, that's very useful information.
I found one just now: https://www.myhifishop.de/Devices:::1.html?XTCsid=24a5q40hsa5vtklmt6rc0cc7b5
You have some thoughts about this one? Is it similar?

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #8,800 of 14,566
I found one just now: https://www.myhifishop.de/Devices:::1.html?XTCsid=24a5q40hsa5vtklmt6rc0cc7b5

For the group this article on Wired.com is titled "How Sonos is Building the Audio Internet"

https://www.wired.com/story/sonos-nick-millington-exclusive-interview/

Disclaimer: I don't own or plan to own any Sonos products. They cost too much for what they do. I want to use my own speakers and amplifiers so their current products don't appeal to me.[/QUOTE]

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #8,802 of 14,566
Ethernet packets are ethernet packets, so once it's using Ethernet trying to optimize a router for audio is likely a fools errand. The communication protocol is key, in my opinion, meaning how the audio data gets wrapped up into ethernet packets and how it is received on the other end. This should have much more impact than the transmission mechanism.

But then I could be wrong, networking is not my forte.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #8,803 of 14,566
Ethernet packets are ethernet packets, so once it's using Ethernet trying to optimize a router for audio is likely a fools errand. The communication protocol is key, in my opinion, meaning how the audio data gets wrapped up into ethernet packets and how it is received on the other end. This should have much more impact than the transmission mechanism.

But then I could be wrong, networking is not my forte.
Well that's the whole point.
Here too are two camps.
Listening tests tend to lean in favor of better switches for shielding the audiopart of the ethernet of noise.
I would like Mike's vision.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #8,804 of 14,566
For the group this article on Wired.com is titled "How Sonos is Building the Audio Internet"

https://www.wired.com/story/sonos-nick-millington-exclusive-interview/

Disclaimer: I don't own or plan to own any Sonos products. They cost too much for what they do. I want to use my own speakers and amplifiers so their current products don't appeal to me.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that. I have quite a few Sonos products so that was an interesting read. I do agree that some of their products, especially the Connect and Connect:Amp, which you would use to add Sonos to an existing system, are overpriced, But their speakers actually sound pretty good and the ecosystem is tough to beat.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #8,805 of 14,566

Well, no, I don't think those switches are worth what they sell for and I don't think they do anything on the high impedance noise front. You don't need audio grade caps in an Ethernet switch. What a joke. There is no audio to the switch. As far as the switch is concerned, there are just data packets. I would look at the inexpensive NETGEAR GS108. If you connect the outer barrel of its DC power plug to ground it drastically reduces the high impedance noise the switch passes on. The switch fantastic if you do this and it costs less than $50 US.

Well that's the whole point.
Here too are two camps.
Listening tests tend to lean in favor of better switches for shielding the audiopart of the ethernet of noise.
I would like Mike's vision.

I don't think that is the case. First, there is no "audiopart" with Ethernet. Second, the Netgear switch I mention above passes on very little noise if setup as I describe. I have not seen any test that shows anything that beats the Netgear for low noise with UTP. Don't use STP, by the way.

Mike liked my post above so maybe that indicates what Mike thinks.

Based on what John Swenson, who is designing the switch for UpTone Audio, has shown and is saying, the Netgear is great. His new switch will probably do better. But, will there be an audible difference? Unknown.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back