What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #8,823 of 14,566
If you connect the outer barrel of its DC power plug to ground it drastically reduces the high impedance noise the switch passes on.
I did as you described.
Today I did the ground trick.
The difference in sound was not even a bit modest.
It was huge!!
It's the background noise (that you not even knew was there) one eliminates this way.
A real upgrade and a must for everyone who plays digital over ethernet.
DO IT!!!
Intriguing... When you say "ground the outher barrel", what do you ground it to? 1) switch's case, or 2) the ground of the AC power side?

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #8,824 of 14,566
Intriguing... When you say "ground the outher barrel", what do you ground it to? 1) switch's case, or 2) the ground of the AC power side?
I grounded to the AC power side.
So took a Schuko plug (EU) and connected the cable with that.
The Powerblock you see is network only so there's no audio plugged in that.

Netgear.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #8,825 of 14,566
I grounded to the AC power side.
So took a Schuko plug (EU) and connected the cable with that.
The Powerblock you see is network only so there's no audio plugged in that.

Thanks! I have my audio systems already on separate Furman power distributors, and I have the same switches you do. I guess a little weekend project...

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #8,826 of 14,566

The AC ground. The SMPS of the switch uses a two-prong plug (at least in the US) so there is no ground on the chassis. To make my ground, I used a ring terminal of the appropriate size on the DC barrel connector and ran a wire to a banana plug that I then plugged into AC ground. Pietro’s method of using a full plug works great too.

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #8,827 of 14,566
I did as you described.
I had all data go via the same router.
Now the audio part is isolated with the switch, which made a difference in itself yesterday evening.
Today I did the ground trick.
The difference in sound was not even a bit modest.
It was huge!!
It's the background noise (that you not even knew was there) one eliminates this way.
A real upgrade and a must for everyone who plays digital over ethernet.
DO IT!!!

Awesome! I am glad it was a noticeable improvement.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #8,828 of 14,566
The AC ground. The SMPS of the switch uses a two-prong plug (at least in the US) so there is no ground on the chassis. To make my ground, I used a ring terminal of the appropriate size on the DC barrel connector and ran a wire to a banana plug that I then plugged into AC ground. Pietro’s method of using a full plug works great too.

I have never noticed much of an issue but this is fascinating and I may have to check it out. Few days go bye without my learning something new within electronics or cables and you are certainly to be commended Winders for taking the time to explain this.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #8,829 of 14,566
I have never noticed much of an issue but this is fascinating and I may have to check it out. Few days go bye without my learning something new within electronics or cables and you are certainly to be commended Winders for taking the time to explain this.

Keep in mind this "trick" does not provide benefit with all switches. The Netgear GS108 is a switch where it does make a difference. This information came from John Swenson. He is UpTone Audio's product designer and I believe he does work for Sonore as well. I found the information useful and am happy to pass it along.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #8,830 of 14,566
I've heard ground hum before but my Mimby to Jotunhiem is dead silent on the hiss/ground hum angle. All I hear is the music and some times my old enemy Tinnitus.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #8,831 of 14,566
This switch "mod" has nothing to do with ground hum or ground loops. It is about reducing high impedance noise that would otherwise be passed on by the switch.

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #8,832 of 14,566
Keep in mind this "trick" does not provide benefit with all switches. The Netgear GS108 is a switch where it does make a difference. This information came from John Swenson. He is UpTone Audio's product designer and I believe he does work for Sonore as well. I found the information useful and am happy to pass it along.

Ok thanks, I had skimmed some of the info and I was going to go back and reread it when time allowed. I have specific areas of interest but things like switches and routers I let my son recommend to me since it is more his field. Generally when he visits he just looks at my system and says there is something better out there and runs out and buys it and installs it. Similarly if he is getting new audio gear and I show an interest, he generally sends me one as well.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #8,833 of 14,566
I asked UpTone Audio for an update and got the following answer:

Hi Pietro:
I did not know you would be posting my e-mail reply. I assumed from your query that you had already read a bit about our in-development EtherREGEN over on the CA forum, But since I see word of it might have just come from a mention here at Head-Fi (not my usual hangout), perhaps a couple of links to greater detail are in order.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...tails-please-dont-ask-too-many-questions-yet/
and an update post made more recently,
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...udio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=860167

John is also developing a sophisticated, multi-board measurement system that injects a specific jitter pattern marker (he calls it the Golden Gate Bridge as the marker resembles the Cisco logo) into Ethernet or USB upstream clocks, then through a DAC, then captures with high-speed 32-bit SAR A/D converters, and runs it through wavelet analysis s/w (sort of a 3D FFT). If/when the marker shows up in the analysis of the analog output, that will prove that the phase-noise fingerprints of upstream data clocks (as well as signal integrity modification by USB cables, etc.) can indeed make it through. Such could blow the doors wide open--showing the first real measured validation (at the analog output; we already can see a lot with tests such as eye-patten in the digital domain) of what so many report hearing with cables, USB decrapifiers, Ethernet switches, etc.
Of course then we will show how our specialty isolation blocks the marker.

Sorry if all this is off-topic for this thread. I really can't tell from the thread title what the topics are here. But with almost 9,000 posts I guess it wanders a lot anyway! :darthsmile:

--Alex C.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #8,835 of 14,566
Yep. This thread has most certainly been a long and strange trip ... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back