What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 4, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #8,761 of 14,566
Interesting article in Stereophile about vintage gear and analog tone control. Makes Loki even more interesting especially if there were settings for different record labels. Of course the thing we need most is a little box that can dial back the heavy compression on modern day recordings.

“The Scott is from that era when preamps offered a variety of EQ settings," he continues. "If I have an old London or Columbia record I can set the EQ specifically for those records. The Scott came with a chart that shows every EQ setting for every record label. I like that flexibility and it does make a difference. There's a pre-mid-50s Columbia setting, RIAA, AES, which is the European standard apart from London for EMI, then a European 78 setting. Each one sounds different, particularly with the early Columbia records which I used to think had mediocre sound, but with the right playback setting they sound great."

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #8,763 of 14,566
Kind of feeling down about the end of summer, but the resurrection symphony is providing some comfort

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #8,768 of 14,566
Listening to a Gumby as I read this, Happy Birthday Mike!

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #8,769 of 14,566
Listening to my Yggdrasil on a gloriously sunny Sunday afternoon (we don't usually get many of these)!

Thank you Mike and wishing you a very Happy 70th Birthday

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #8,770 of 14,566
Interesting article in Stereophile about vintage gear and analog tone control. Makes Loki even more interesting especially if there were settings for different record labels. Of course the thing we need most is a little box that can dial back the heavy compression on modern day recordings.

“The Scott is from that era when preamps offered a variety of EQ settings," he continues. "If I have an old London or Columbia record I can set the EQ specifically for those records. The Scott came with a chart that shows every EQ setting for every record label. I like that flexibility and it does make a difference. There's a pre-mid-50s Columbia setting, RIAA, AES, which is the European standard apart from London for EMI, then a European 78 setting. Each one sounds different, particularly with the early Columbia records which I used to think had mediocre sound, but with the right playback setting they sound great."

I find that an old-school Denon DL-103 brings new life to highly compressed recordings, whether modern or older.

It's a highly 'opinionated', meaty cart that can miss out on the detail and minutiae of modern pristine, audiophile pressings (e.g. Acoustic Sounds limited edition jazz re-pressings) with good dynamic range, but it's perfect for adding some fun back into overly compressed recordings.

It's spherical stylus is also good on mono recordings, too.

Apologies in advance if you were talking digital media, but the reference to vintage record label EQs made me think vinyl.

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #8,771 of 14,566
@Baldr Happy B-day Sir, another day I'm enjoying Yggy, thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #8,775 of 14,566
Mike, God bless and I can’t wait to see what you create over the next ten years. Im camping so Ill have to settle for my battery powered fulla 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back