What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #8,402 of 14,565
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #8,403 of 14,565
I guess if it's good it's going to get covered.

Good argument. About a month before Bob Dylan was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2016, I had the good fortune to lay in the soundtrack CD to I'm Not There, the movie of his life. The movie soundtrack is a series of covers of his songs, all rendered by top musical artists and groups of our day. Amazingly well done as a project effort, and a most fitting tribute to Dylan's music and poetry as it were. I thought it an appropriate and timely find. I was particularly taken by Antony and the Johnsons' (now Anohni) haunting cover of Bob Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

But country Nirvana?? C'mon... :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #8,404 of 14,565
My daughter texted me just the other day while in the car to a pool party with her daughters complaining of trying to sing along to a bluegrass rendition of Dark Side of the Moon. This for an album that made the top 100 list for over 10 years in a row, if not falling under the category "Is nothing sacred?", may well be indicative of a growing trend.
Poor man's wipsie "Dark side of Moonshine"
It's a fine album indeed.

folder.jpg

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #8,405 of 14,565
I find that the balcony sound is softer than the grand tier, more round and smooth, less aggressive.

I still prefer the grand tier.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #8,406 of 14,565
Boy do I look forward to you being proven wrong on that.

With pictures.

Pictures of headphones and Schiit in Antarctica.

[I recommend the Lyr 2. My favorite hand warmer.]
...apparently, Schiit products are near the Arctic Circle...

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #8,407 of 14,565
I have been researching using spikes or rubber feet, or something else to rest my towers on, and it has taken me to a number of audio sites. The signature of one fellow struck me as appropriate for this thread.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines." Nelson Pass

Jun 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #8,408 of 14,565
I have been researching using spikes or rubber feet, or something else to rest my towers on, and it has taken me to a number of audio sites. The signature of one fellow struck me as appropriate for this thread.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines." Nelson Pass

"Latest ideas show that music probably came before language, which in turn led to our culture. In many ways, music is what being human is all about. We have a primordial need to make, receive, and share music. Without it, we are incomplete."
- Neal Young
(in Stereophile June 2015 p.137)

Jun 18, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #8,410 of 14,565
My daughter texted me just the other day while in the car to a pool party with her daughters complaining of trying to sing along to a bluegrass rendition of Dark Side of the Moon. This for an album that made the top 100 list for over 10 years in a row, if not falling under the category "Is nothing sacred?", may well be indicative of a growing trend.

Are you sure it was bluegrass? The Chesky catalog has a "Jazz Side of the Moon" on it.

I'm more a fan of the Easy Stars All Stars' "Dub Side of the Moon". But that's just this phillistine's opinion :wink:

EDIT: I see PCT has identified the bluegrass version. Nice find.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #8,411 of 14,565
Good argument. About a month before Bob Dylan was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2016, I had the good fortune to lay in the soundtrack CD to I'm Not There, the movie of his life. The movie soundtrack is a series of covers of his songs, all rendered by top musical artists and groups of our day. Amazingly well done as a project effort, and a most fitting tribute to Dylan's music and poetry as it were. I thought it an appropriate and timely find. I was particularly taken by Antony and the Johnsons' (now Anohni) haunting cover of Bob Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

Thanks! I didn't know about that one. That just went on this week's buy list, soon to be part of my collection.

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #8,412 of 14,565
God, Boris Godunov was a snooze fest. I was there for three and a half hours, and heard maybe a half hour of interesting music.

Because of the composer or because of the performance?

Jun 18, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #8,415 of 14,565
Are you sure it was bluegrass? The Chesky catalog has a "Jazz Side of the Moon" on it.

I'm more a fan of the Easy Stars All Stars' "Dub Side of the Moon". But that's just this phillistine's opinion :wink:

EDIT: I see PCT has identified the bluegrass version. Nice find.
Dolly Parton did a country/bluegrass version of stairway to heaven. It was pretty great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back