What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 15, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #8,371 of 14,565
I think in order for music to slow down, the Gumby would have to be travelling at or near the speed of light.

Or it could be the Scotch.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #8,372 of 14,565
I still don't get how my Gumby makes the music sound slower. It's a strange effect.

Perhaps you are simply finding it more "relaxed" sounding because of the multibit sound signature that people find more natural and "analog" sounding, vs many DS implementations that tend to have more "digititus" and over-emphasised and brittle highs (like the ESS Sabre stuff). Relaxed, lower-sibilance sound can sometimes feel like its "slower". Gumby is also just a bit on the "warm" or "full" side of things too, so this may also contribute to that slower feeling.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #8,373 of 14,565
I think in order for music to slow down, the Gumby would have to be travelling at or near the speed of light.

Or it could be the Scotch.

Ah, but see the music was not actually slowed so I am the one that was traveling at the speed of light. Maybe that Scotch wasn't what I thought it was....?

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #8,374 of 14,565
Discrete resistor ladder DACs are generally significantly more expensive than IC R2R DACs, implying superior circuitry performance, but because the linear response error is cumulative with resistor mismatching, much of the discrete resistor cost is in producing nearly identical resistances through laser trimming or other.

Ultimately, ladder resistance matching determines faithful and linear D/A conversion, so that manufactured matched resistor precision should be the overriding DAC component criterion, all other considerations being equal.

I'm sure that Schiit's low end market niche determined implementation of an IC R2R DAC chip for their multibit DAC products in this case, albeit the most precise still in production suitable for audio high fidelity application.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #8,376 of 14,565
That's what I thought, but there's a discrete solution being sold at the $349 price point. I just can't imagine that technology has advanced to the point where a well engineered and sonically credible unit can be made at that price. Has tech advanced to this point?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #8,377 of 14,565
I'd be interested to hear what kind of non classical music baldr listens to (bluegrass).

I've been listening to a bunch of Americana lately. John Prine, Jason Isbell, Guy Clark, Sturgil Simpson, amongst many others. (I don't know if all of this falls under Americana, but it's what Spotify and Tidal has given me.) Alot of that has songs with a bluegrass feel.

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #8,378 of 14,565
That's what I thought, but there's a discrete solution being sold at the $349 price point. I just can't imagine that technology has advanced to the point where a wellwell engine and sonically credibke unit can be made at that price. Has tech advanced to this point?
The DAC in question(The DAC who shall not be named) uses resistors of 0.5% varience. The TotalDAC uses resistors of much higher quality.

My take on this product is that it might be superior to Modi multibit for high bit depth(where I feel that even DS outperfoms it), but Modi multi bit should be superior for Redbook. This is complete conjecture on my part and the value of my opinion should probably be valued in direct proportion to what you paid for it

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #8,379 of 14,565
God, Boris Godunov was a snooze fest. I was there for three and a half hours, and heard maybe a half hour of interesting music.

Maybe you need stronger coffee?:wink:

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #8,381 of 14,565
The DAC in question(The DAC who shall not be named) uses resistors of 0.5% varience. The TotalDAC uses resistors of much higher quality.
The one I was looking at (uses 74LVHC shift registers) had resistors of 0.05% to 0.01% tolerance depending on spec.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #8,383 of 14,565
I had a long discussion over Chinese dinner tonight with @HumanFly about DAC's.
Our conclusion was that the sloppier the DAC the less chance of depression by ugly music production.
So it serves a purpose to NOT buy a good DAC because so much albums are badly produced.
Now that's another look at quality no?

Jun 15, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #8,384 of 14,565
I've been listening to a bunch of Americana lately.John Prine, Jason Isbell, Guy Clark, Sturgil Simpson, amongst many others. (I don't know if all of this falls under Americana, but it's what Spotify and Tidal has given me.) A lot of that has songs with a bluegrass feel.

My daughter texted me just the other day while in the car to a pool party with her daughters complaining of trying to sing along to a bluegrass rendition of Dark Side of the Moon. This for an album that made the top 100 list for over 10 years in a row, if not falling under the category "Is nothing sacred?", may well be indicative of a growing trend.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #8,385 of 14,565
Discrete resistor ladder DACs are generally significantly more expensive than IC R2R DACs, implying superior circuitry performance....

It's not a good idea to assume that more expensive means better. I suspect Mike would agree that discrete is not necessarily better or worse. It all depends on implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back