What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 18, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #5,133 of 14,566
A whole world just opened up to me. Frequencies and what they mean to people of all times and places.
Pretty cool how sound and music are so deeply embedded in the human species and how certain patterns and frequencies have been with us for millennia.
Maybe in two thousand years from now someone will claim the millenial-whoop was very significant for the advancement of the human race and it must have been planted into stupid peoples brains by extra-terrestials.
Because obviously!-ish.
:)

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #5,136 of 14,566
I only know Humboldt County because of Humboldt Fog, the iconic goat cheese, which I adore. Costco has it for a better price than whole foods, but that might just be a bay area thing. Haven't seen it that I recall in culver city costco (half a block from our Venice home).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #5,138 of 14,566
Curious about something where I have no knowledge. @Baldr had said that digital DSP only has 6 bits of ... IDK .. resolution? Play? Anyway, why is that?

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #5,141 of 14,566
Mike was saying that +6dB is as high as you want to go with DSP before you start really screwing up the sound.

Oct 19, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #5,142 of 14,566
Curious about something where I have no knowledge. @Baldr had said that digital DSP only has 6 bits of ... IDK .. resolution? Play? Anyway, why is that?

Pretty sure that is a comment about delta sigma DACs. Not sure where the "P" came from.

Mike was saying that +6dB is as high as you want to go with DSP before you start really screwing up the sound.
Now I know less than I did before :smile_phones:

Would still like to see the Baldr quote ...

Oct 19, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #5,143 of 14,566
Now I know less than I did before :smile_phones:

Would still like to see the Baldr quote ...

Hi, jimmers,

please see this post, where Mike explains the whole concept. In particular, he said:

An attenuation greater than 6 db takes one bit of resolution, 12db two bits, 18db three bits, etc. Since most typical room problems are in a 20-30 range, and most can eq problems are only slightly less, the loss of 4-5 bits of resolution is quite feasible. Ugh. The huge advantage of the analog equalizer is that it absolutely takes NO resolution away from the signal. That is huge.

But the whole post is highly informative.

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #5,144 of 14,566
Well, it is nice to be back in and settled from RMAF. As usual, my viewpoints are myopic as I spent the vast majority of the time in the Schiit Can-Jam area. I once again had no convenient opportunity to escape and view the two-channel area. I suppose I will have to be content with listening to my own system at home.

I was pleased with the Gadget's reception. The majority of those who listened "got it", even with the loud distractions of the shows' environs. I had an opportunity to speak with several press members, all of who realized that it is a fun device, which of course why we do this hobby. We now have a Gadget up and running at the Schittr, and as a project it is all but ready to put in production.

Ivana for now is working on the translation of UAC2 audio (USB2) into a microprocessor. This will be a project of some duration. The reason for the moment is not to build a Gen V USB killer, but more for us to have a better low-cost solution. Most DACs which would glue to common USB solutions (XMOS, Cmedia, etc.) are I2S Sigma Delta types, which exhibit relatively high levels of sonic asstivity. Since we have a DSP processor in our entire upgardable line, we can configure much higher quality DACs, an ability which can be realized at the under $200 market when we have the USB running in our own micro. We will no longer be constrained by "audio" DACs.

In order to fully implement the next versions of the Manhattan, we will need to utilize processors which are much more powerful and less DSP specific. This will be yet another learning curve for us which we will get to as soon as we conquer our proprietary USB interface.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back