What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 18, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #4,756 of 14,566
I'm going to make a prediction that one the surprises that @Jason Stoddard has for you is a Class D amp. One that doesn't sound like ass. You know it's coming.
I politely hope you're completely wrong. Also, Jason has said he hates Class D with a passion many times. Schiit, in my humble opinion, has nothing to gain from Class D. All of their amps are superior in every way.

Sep 19, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #4,757 of 14,566
Is the processor you're using proprietary? Is its name secret?
I politely hope you're completely wrong. Also, Jason has said he hates Class D with a passion many times. Schiit, in my humble opinion, has nothing to gain from Class D. All of their amps are superior in every way.

cac4e2c8253fb24e086b56d9539e862a--tape-measure-perfectly-imperfect.jpg

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #4,758 of 14,566
Some conjecture on this gadget thing.

Consider four performances with Chris Thile playing mandoline.

1. Live, A=440hz
2. Recorded and reproduced, A=440hz
3. Live, C=256hz
4. Recorded and reproduced, C=256hz

They may all be very nice, but I'm going to say the two live performances are going to emotionally best the recorded, and the two recorded performances will be mostly indifferentiable to each other.
Let's do the same again but bring in Edgar Meyer on bass to lay down some foundational tones over which Thile's mandoline sings.

Now we've got honest to goodness skingasms during both live performances, but something is amiss on the recordings or live with any lessor bassist who does not precisely intonate. Or with instruments that aren't incredibly well crafted which we can reasonably assume these two possess.
Bear in mind the emotional weight of the minor third is all about sound waves being in the exact ratio of 6/5. A fifth only sounds powerful with frequency ratios of 3/2.

I wager tightening up the mathematical relations of all the frequencies reproduced is exactly what the gadget is intended to do, and what tuning it defaults to is arbitrary or entirely for convenience, and this would be done because time or phase alignment is lost during the recording process.

edit: Although I could very well be wrong <-link.
Thank you for the link. Very interesting stuff.
Mike has really got us all thinking...

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #4,759 of 14,566
Sep 19, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #4,760 of 14,566
More on the Gadget:
The Gadget is designed to facilitate the pitch but not tempo change from A4=440ish to C=256. There is a light to tell you you should be close. ...It is not designed to fix incompetent performances, like almost all new autotuned pop music. If the singer is sharp or the guitar is mistuned, they will still be AFU, only in a different overall pitch. If you use it with autotuned pop music, the music will still sound like autotuned pop music dreck. All natural slides and vibrato disappear. The result is a desire to projectile vomit reduced to an acidic burp-up.....

Reading again, this sounds like an autotune for complex signals. Those words in bold can be found in most autotune manuals!

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #4,761 of 14,566
Reading again, this sounds like an autotune for complex signals. Those words in bold can be found in most autotune manuals!

Not sure how you get there from what @Baldr said. He explicitly says it will not autotune. In its simplest form auto-tuning simply adjusts a note which is not one of the 12 tones to the closest tone. Too bad for bad singers like me that can be off several semi-tones. I think when Mike says "f you use it with autotuned pop music, the music will still sound like autotuned pop music dreck. All natural slides and vibrato disappear." he is referring to what autotunes do, not what the gadget does.

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #4,762 of 14,566
Not sure how you get there from what @Baldr said. He explicitly says it will not autotune. In its simplest form auto-tuning simply adjusts a note which is not one of the 12 tones to the closest tone. Too bad for bad singers like me that can be off several semi-tones. I think when Mike says "f you use it with autotuned pop music, the music will still sound like autotuned pop music dreck. All natural slides and vibrato disappear." he is referring to what autotunes do, not what the gadget does.
This is how I got it too. The connection between the two statements seems pretty logical to me. (Now I hope I won't be proved wrong, though... :wink:)

Edit: To be clear, I concur with what AudioBear said.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #4,764 of 14,566
This is true. The point still remains that the Gadget should be simply changing the reference of the tuning and not changing tones relationships with one another. In essence a semi-flatted note will be equally semi-flatted. Or perhaps a sour note will now be sour in a different base tuning.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #4,767 of 14,566
This is true. The point still remains that the Gadget should be simply changing the reference of the tuning and not changing tones relationships with one another. In essence a semi-flatted note will be equally semi-flatted. Or perhaps a sour note will now be sour in a different base tuning.
This.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 20, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #4,769 of 14,566
Wrong thread I know, but magni 3 ups the value ante yet again. If it sounds like what I imagine it does, holy schiit, it might be a vali slayer.

Sep 20, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #4,770 of 14,566
Ok, I need some help from the readers. I have been asked about how the Gadget works works with Chinese Opera and Hindustani Compositions. Could anyone point me in the direction of some English Language publications describing the technical nature of those tone scales? Thanks in advance with no promises, but it certainly does no harm for me to learn new stuff.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back