What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #4,786 of 14,566
Maybe initial sales from a cheap and simple pitch shifter will ultimately pay for an auto-temperament autotune device with proper delay and scale / key autodetection. how to accommodate intentional dissonance while fixing out of tune instruments is beyond me.
I just don't see the pitch shifting on its very own being the end goal here when it's harmony that causes the emotional impact.... relative, not absolute frequencies.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #4,789 of 14,566
It's a little silly in a studio apartment, but I'm considering getting a bedside table rig in addition to my desk rig. I would try to keep it more focused and euphonic, so it would likely be the gadget, bimby, and my old Vali 1 (I can't bring myself to get a disposable DAC) with the lightning jack camera kit do-hickey. This, however, forces me to defer its coming-to-be to the future point in which I can pull the trigger on an Yggy, which itself is in line behind my next european tour (amsterdam, berlin, and london), a tricked out 5k iMac, and the new iPhone ex. Perhaps next year

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #4,791 of 14,566
This is fun. I fell in love with open C tuning on my guitar years ago and i use it for everything. This video of john butler made me change my guitar tuning and learn the song. When i stared learning the song i played it with a cappo (like him) but i liked the ring of the open C strings a lot better one of them being c 256.

For years I have been tuning my guitar by ear to open C, and just plucking out random tunes(improvising) from the top of my head and the string that is tuned to c 256 is the one that drones the most. and this is purely a choice of what i feel sounds the best. Its not based on anything anyone has told me since i have never had a guitar teacher. Just checked my tuning with a microphone and a c256 tone generator. the string was quite spot on c 256
This makes me a bit excited about the gadget and its bulkier sibling :)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4,792 of 14,566
Mike, Would Dave be okay if you shared some info about him and his background? He seems like such an integral part of the team that his back story would be interesting to all I'm sure. What we love about you guys are the peeks behind the curtain that we NEVER get with any of the others.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #4,793 of 14,566
Ok, I need some help from the readers. I have been asked about how the Gadget works works with Chinese Opera and Hindustani Compositions. Could anyone point me in the direction of some English Language publications describing the technical nature of those tone scales? Thanks in advance with no promises, but it certainly does no harm for me to learn new stuff.

I may still have my grandfather's Chinese Opera (vinyl) at my parent's house somewhere. It was put in a box after he passed and I don't think it has been touched since the 90's

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #4,794 of 14,566
Is the MP just a 'cheap and simple pitch shifter' as quoted above?

Mike, about 3 pages back states ' Hence Ivana's algorithm, with the megaburrito filter at its core'.

Am little bit surprised that no one appears to have picked up on this.

How does the megaburrito filter impact on the overall sound?

Is the MP a souped up version of the megaburrito filter with appropriate algorithms added to help address pitch?

Am I reading this incorrectly?

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #4,795 of 14,566
I cannot offer anything other than what she told me. She has been centered in SoCal for several years (PhD from UCSB). She is not independently wealthy and needed work. She told me she liked the Schiit attitude and style. She has been to the Schiit Box only three times. We have Agua Dulce me-Dave-Ivana digital summits every 2-3 weeks. (Dave and I both live in Agua Dulce.). Virtually all of the digital R&D is unsupervised. All I care about are results. Since Ivana lives 40 or so miles away, this suits her well, and since Dave and I are incurable night-owls, the summits evade rush hour traffic. An unusually worded Craig’s List ad pulled her in.

Sounds like heaven! I imagine the three of you sit around the conference table in corporate-wear swapping 3-bullet item presentation slides?

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #4,796 of 14,566
Is the MP just a 'cheap and simple pitch shifter' as quoted above?
Mike has stated that "the gadget only varies the pitch of the content", and he has repeated this several times.

There are already products and software that can shift pitch, but they all degrade the sound of the music. The claim is that this is the first product that can do it without degrading the music and sound. That would be the innovation and achievement of this product.

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #4,797 of 14,566
IMG_0252.JPG

Now we input 1.21 Gigawatts into MP........

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,798 of 14,566
A huge design constraint in a non-ass sounding pitch shifting design is the processor power required to implement the pitch shift without varying the content length. The earliest Gadget Trojan Horsed into the Schiit Show a couple of years ago did alter program length as a function of pitch. That sort of design inherently favors non-ass of sound. The Gadget is adjustable for zero pitch shift. If it is working correctly it should then be inaudible in the chain. It is very, very close, just a RCH away, just an artifact of the S/PDIF. It took me a long time to be able to spot that. There are dozens of pitch shifters available on the net as plugins or standalones, many at no cost. They are not even in the same city, much less ballpark as their zero to zero pitch tests show. Their designs seldom, if ever allow the user realtime adjustment of the pitch mid-program to quickly find the skingasm spot.

The design problem with pitch adjustment is that a small percentage of samples need to be added or discarded. It seems there are no good sounding real time non-integer integrators or decimators that run in less than huge server sized boxes. Hence Ivana's algorithm, with the megaburrito filter at its core.

Oh, and with respect to temperament, the Gadget changes nothing. What comes in (probably linear) comes out the same. Autodetection of pitch and temperament change require more processing power and at least a Gungnir sized chassis, as well as MUCH more development time.
Sorry, there may be many replies about this. But as an old engineer, I wonder how many people know what precision is involved with a RCH.

Edit: There were none. Haha.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #4,800 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back