What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 2, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #4,486 of 14,565
Re:

Finally, I must admit, I am really not a fan of piano concerti. I listened to Byron Janis Pictures at an Exhibition, and like almost all piano works, meh.

I was reading somewhere once upon a time that Mussorgsky composed for piano and both Pictures and Night on Bald mountain were later redone by Rimsky Korsakove for the orcastrations. So I started searching, mostly pre internet, and found this little classical music store in Tulsa Ok. of all places that was able to dig up a CD by : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigitte_Engerer

Anyway as I recall there was no original panio score for night on bald mountain complete so Brigitte made do...

There are a number of Mussorgsky "studies" on the CD as well, my favorite is Tear.

Feels odd to be able to add something to this side of Baldar's world.

Sep 3, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #4,487 of 14,565
Bummer,

Walter Becker of Steely Dan dead at 67. R.I.P.

Listening to Aja one of the best albums ever. Then maybe Gaucho...

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #4,488 of 14,565
Damn. Rest In Peace Walter Becker.

"Can't Buy a Thrill" is my favorite. It may not be their best, but was their debut. It formed the lead-in side of my coming of age soundtrack. I was about 13 when it released. The album art was edgy in a tongue in cheek kind of way that added to the whole mystique of awakening as a newly minted teenager.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #4,489 of 14,565
I've been a Steely Dan fan since I first heard "Do it Again" on the car radio when the album was first released. A guilty pleasure for this classical music buff, I have all their albums.
Only got to see them live once.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #4,490 of 14,565
Bummer,

Walter Becker of Steely Dan dead at 67. R.I.P.

Listening to Aja one of the best albums ever. Then maybe Gaucho...

My heart aches, there is now one less musical genius in the world.

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,491 of 14,565
Damn. Rest In Peace Walter Becker.

"Can't Buy a Thrill" is my favorite. It may not be their best, but was their debut. It formed the lead-in side of my coming of age soundtrack. I was about 13 when it released. The album art was edgy in a tongue in cheek kind of way that added to the whole mystique of awakening as a newly minted teenager.

Sa me for me. I was 12, my brother brought home the album and the art caught my eye in the salacious teenager kind of way. I had to wait for my brother to leave the house so I could hear what this group was all about. I listened to it back to back afor a few hours in case it would be awhile before I could got another chance to enjoy this album by myself. Those lyrics were so baffling .

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #4,494 of 14,565
RIP Walter. Back when the discussion was going on about what five albums to take to the island, Aja was the first one that came instantly to mind for me. A lot of great music from Steely Dan.

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #4,497 of 14,565
My Aja album I bought at K-mart back in the day always sounded better than my 24x96 from HDTracks when it was released. Yggy has evened the score since then but that's how you produce an album. Schiit, RIP.:triportsad::triportsad:

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #4,500 of 14,565
Walter also was a HUGE audiophile, had Quad ESLs back in the day. What a loss - Ugh!
20150513153016_73.jpg

Must have looked something like this.
And now 60 years after the first commercial ESL, Quad introduced the ESL 60S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back