What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 6, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #4,518 of 14,566
Sep 6, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #4,519 of 14,566
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,521 of 14,566
upload_2017-9-6_11-20-27.png

Ain't never gonna do it without the Fez on!

RIP WALT!

Sep 6, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #4,522 of 14,566
I've been a fan of SD since the beginning.
Their music was cool, and thought-provoking.
Snarky vocals. Decent rhythms. Complex and still fun.

What bugged me was - it was impossible to tell who was playing.
They had so many supporting musicians.

I like the idea of a sustained joke on all of us.
Whoever came up with that idea deserves credit.

Oh...on which thread am I posting?

Sep 7, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,526 of 14,566
So this month I have Elektra on Saturday, SF Opera in the park (golden gate that is) on Sunday, a dutchman preview on the 14th, and Trav on the 23rd, and Smuin Ballet's opening night on the 30th. I'm of course much more of a ballet novice than of opera, but I've long found it a thrilling visual form. It seems especially well suited, to my mind, to Wagner, and not just in Tannhauser. I said this a year ago re opening night of Tristan at the Met, and the possibilities of the Liebesnacht, but there are enormous musical stretches in Wagner so full of meaning that they beg to be illustrated in ways more interesting than opera singers executing this or that blocking, or opera directors erecting this or that bit of scenery or costume. (The Bayreuth Meistersinger this year, with Wagner himself put on trial, was reportedly imperfect but spectacular nonetheless.)

Act 1 of Walküre could be a thrilling pas-de-deux/trois, as could the wooing in Meistersinger's second act (to say nothing of the wonderful sequence that could be presented during the following nighttime chaos). For the flower maidens it would be natural. Nibelheim (and perhaps the forging scene's recollection of those leitmotivs as well) would be a brutal, searing ensemble sequence. Both parts of the Gotterdammerung prologue could be intensely interesting rendered through ballet, though the Norns would be less conventional than the love duet. I can hardly imagine how intensely beautiful the funeral march could be -- or indeed the immolation. Has the burning of the kingdom of the gods to the ground ever been rendered in ballet? Is there any choreographer for whom such a task would not be a career highlight?

The Ring Cycle is featured prominently in my next novel, and among the many things I need to do is create a plausible production. Ballet (and setting it in contemporary LA) are two of my ideas. Is there any locale more quintessentially decadent than "Hollywood," any place more in need of a profound Verklärung (to use another Wagnerian term)? The New Bayreuth had intensely schematic productions, with light figuring extremely prominently (too prominently for Knappertsbusch, who pined after the dove coming down from above in Parsifal—Wieland agreed to put the dove in, but only so far as would be visible to the conductor, and not the audience). Ballet is, for me, a much more interesting, and much less static, sort of abstraction.

Mike, though, is the theatre director, not me, and I defer to his judgement in these issues.

Sep 7, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,527 of 14,566
Very interesting. What's your favorite album by them?

Tough choice. Probably their You Forgot It in People and the subsequent B sides release Bee Hives, which was recorded in the same time frame. Appears to be Kevin Drew's most prolific period.

Sep 7, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #4,528 of 14,566
I missed out on the great eBay deal for Volume 1 of the RCA Living Stereo classical collection, but managed to find one without too much greater cost. Has anyone listened to Volume 2, and if so do you recommend it?

Thanks,
Alan

Sep 7, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,529 of 14,566
I keep meaning to buy it, but as I don't yet have my emotiva transport (or my Yggy). But I imagine by the time I get both, and perhaps upgrade to a bigger sf apartment (lol) I'll def have the money for whatever the cost difference time does, or does not, create.

Sep 7, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #4,530 of 14,566
I keep meaning to buy it, but as I don't yet have my emotiva transport (or my Yggy). But I imagine by the time I get both, and perhaps upgrade to a bigger sf apartment (lol) I'll def have the money for whatever the cost difference time does, or does not, create.
If you need a solid CD transport for use with an outboard DAC, consider the Tascam CD-200-----great mechanical transport, SPDIF out, no frills, less than $250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back