What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 5, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,991 of 14,564
Some really good news. The one design aspect of the upcoming Schiit Sol Turntable I absolutely hated has been fixed: In order for arms to be truly interchangeable, there needs to be a provision to adjust arm height for proper VTA. There will be an adjustment which will be a gnarled edge horizontal wheel around the unipivot bearing. This truly makes arms interchangeable quickly with proper and complete adjustment! There will be an adjustment which will be a gnarled edge horizontal wheel around the unipivot bearing. This will allow for adjusted/optimized cartridge changes as close to instantly as possible. Further, I will be making a base and arm holder to make this offered as a universal arm suitable for other TTs. Target price is somewhere between a Jil and 4490 Bifrost.
:beerchug::L3000:

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #3,993 of 14,564
Joined here to share in the latest Schiit with Mike and Jason. I'm a happy Mani owner and am now drooling at the prospect of a Schiit TT.

I think they have done an amazing job with their company, but their openness and interaction here makes me a fan and customer for life.

And very Happy Birthday, Mike!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #3,995 of 14,564
The arm. The TT will be between a Multibit Bifrost and Multibit Gungnir.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to more details in the future.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #3,996 of 14,564
the benefits are not what they do for the system so much as the system now "doesn't do". They remove a layer of glare and grunge that you don't notice until it is gone.
That's generally true of audio improvements. The Schiit Multibit upgrades and the Schiit Megaburrito digital filter both fit that characterization. You should be suspicious of any "improvement" that doesn't fit that pattern.

In fact, improvements in audio, video and spirituality are all characterized by having less than before.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #4,000 of 14,564
Had an excellent time at the Schiitr, where I arrived sharply at 10:00 (left shortly after others arrived at 12:30). Listened to the Rhapsody in Blue on Sol, Saga, and Black Vidar, as well as Norma, Die Walküre, Perahia's Goldberg Variations, the Grosse Fugue, mozart Clarinet concerto, and a few others on mostly Ragnarok but a little Saga as well. I don't know much about speakers but these sounded remarkable. I would aspire to a comparable sound in my living room.

The headphone selection was definitely solid. I liked the XC more than I thought I would, though it was *heavy*. Yes, it's not as good at soundstage as HD800, but it's a very nice all rounder despite that. Driven effortlessly by MJ2. GS1000 was an interesting listen—ultimately, though, an expensive toy worth nowhere near its MSRP. Grado SR60 gets so close to the best Grado can do for $80 new that going up the line is an exercise in frivolity. I would have loved for the he1k they had at socal canjam to have been at the Schiitr, it was an odd omission. Also an hd600/650.

The striking thing to me about the headphone amp line is how well powered but neutral the whole of it is. There isn't a house sound. Woo adds a romantic sepia smoothness which sounds very very beautiful but which I don't think actually exists. If you have 8k for their flagship non monoblock fine, but the beauty you're getting is textbook added color. I listened to the great gate of Kiev on nearly all of them (7xx) and the differences were so small as not to merit discussion. I was listening to Reiner and to Chicago, to Mussorgsky and Ravel, not to Valhalla and AKG.

T1 was also worthwhile to finally get to hear, though my judgment is as damning as for the grado: less comfort, transparency, and musicality than hd800.

The bathroom is very well appointed, and the space in general is quite comfortable. The staff was helpful but gave one space to listen.

There was a little typo on the ragnarok plaque, in case no one has spotted it yet...

Attachments

• schiit typo.jpg
    schiit typo.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 6, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #4,002 of 14,564
[QUOTE="bosiemoncrieff, post: 13643482, member: 421839".... I don't know much about speakers but these sounded remarkable. I would aspire to a comparable sound in my living room....[/QUOTE]

Which speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back