What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #4,006 of 14,566
The arm. The TT will be between a Multibit Bifrost and Multibit Gungnir.

Why didn't you let it be known back in 2008 before I sold my 2500 LP collection, that you would be designing such an impressive table and arm for such a reasonable price :)

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #4,007 of 14,566
Ragnatube!

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #4,008 of 14,566
Aug 6, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #4,009 of 14,566
The striking thing to me about the headphone amp line is how well powered but neutral the whole of it is. There isn't a house sound. Woo adds a romantic sepia smoothness which sounds very very beautiful but which I don't think actually exists.
Matches my one hearing of Woo gear at AudioVisionSF, too sweet for my give-it-to-me-straight taste. Which Mussorgsky/Reiner recording do you recommend? You made me notice I lack one in my library.

Aug 6, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #4,010 of 14,566
I listened to the end of Pictures at an Exhibition, which was lovely. I can't comment on the Rag/Yggy compared to my MJ2 because I didn't want to be that as shole who carted the headphones into the speaker room. However, Rag powered the speakers that were there with aplomb. Even one Vidar was exceptionally powerful, but Rag (at what, half the rated power?) drove them with all the power I could dream of requiring.

I might suggest, though, that Schiit replace HD800's ear pads, which showed signs of nearing the end of their useful life.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #4,011 of 14,566
I want to that tubed Rag! You can't have it.:beyersmile: Jason made a subliminal typo, or was it on purpose?

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,012 of 14,566
I think half of the hardware inside the Rag has to do with the speaker amp section and that the MJ2 is Schiit's all-out offering in a tube HP amplifier.
The MJ2 with tubes is a sentimental favorite for me, like a favorite old pair of well broken in slippers.
I do however find myself drawn back to the Rag time and again with my HP's because of it's distinct lack of personality. I feel it allows me to hear
what a recording has to offer without adding or subtracting anything from the sound.

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #4,014 of 14,566
Matches my one hearing of Woo gear at AudioVisionSF, too sweet for my give-it-to-me-straight taste. Which Mussorgsky/Reiner recording do you recommend? You made me notice I lack one in my library.

Perhaps it was this one?
upload_2017-8-6_14-42-0.jpeg

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #4,015 of 14,566
Perhaps it was this one?
I suspected it might be that one. Some Living Presence analog masters were remastered for SACD and corresponding 88.2/24 PCM digital issues are available, for instance the amazing Dorati/LSO "Firebird." Just found via findhdmusic.com that the record you mentioned is one of those, will get it later today if the release passes some basic checks, thanks.

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #4,016 of 14,566
I suspected it might be that one. Some Living Presence analog masters were remastered for SACD and corresponding 88.2/24 PCM digital issues are available, for instance the amazing Dorati/LSO "Firebird." Just found via findhdmusic.com that the record you mentioned is one of those, will get it later today if the release passes some basic checks, thanks.

That "Pictures" is a keeper, as are most of Reiner/Chcago's recordings from both performance and sonic viewpoints.

Aug 6, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #4,017 of 14,566
That "Pictures" is a keeper, as are most of Reiner/Chcago's recordings from both performance and sonic viewpoints.
Checked some reviews of the digital remaster, very positive, will get it when I arrive home later today for some evening listening pleasure. Reviews say the dynamic range is exceptional, so I may be rattling my windows :wink: I have the Reiner/CSO Bartók Concerto for Orchestra, which is excellent, although I've been favoring the DGG Boulez/CSO performance recently.

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #4,019 of 14,566
Checked some reviews of the digital remaster, very positive, will get it when I arrive home later today for some evening listening pleasure. Reviews say the dynamic range is exceptional, so I may be rattling my windows :wink: I have the Reiner/CSO Bartók Concerto for Orchestra, which is excellent, although I've been favoring the DGG Boulez/CSO performance recently.

That Bartok Concerto is also one of the best available, still, and after all the years that have past since it was recorded. However, one of the good / bad aspects of the classical genre is, with those works that have captivated me completely, no one performance, or interpretation, or recording, will suffice. While initial attachments to a work are usually the strongest the search for alternate approaches of interpretation and recording is on going. To re-capture that "out of body experience" that can happen with music one identifies strongly with for whatever reason. The search for that un-achievable perfection, it never ceases. Kinda like the condition "audiophilia".

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4,020 of 14,566
Do you have a catalog number for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back