What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 3, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #3,947 of 14,566
[QUOTE="Baldr, post: 13637628, member: 181024"..... What still exists, however, is capacitance. This is the stuff that gives you a shock in the winter when you walk across the carpet and touch the grounded doorknob. Even when there is no shock building up, the capacitance still is there....[/QUOTE]

I have to put up with that crapacitance issue all winter, every year. I've tried everything but nothing really works, it's like electroshock therapy 100 times a day.

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #3,948 of 14,566
[QUOTE="Baldr, post: 13637628, member: 181024"..... What still exists, however, is capacitance. This is the stuff that gives you a shock in the winter when you walk across the carpet and touch the grounded doorknob. Even when there is no shock building up, the capacitance still is there....

I have to put up with that crapacitance issue all winter, every year. I've tried everything but nothing really works, it's like electroshock therapy 100 times a day.[/QUOTE]

Walking around barefoot (at home) works. :wink:

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #3,949 of 14,566
I have to put up with that crapacitance issue all winter, every year. I've tried everything but nothing really works, it's like electroshock therapy 100 times a day.

Walking around barefoot (at home) works. :wink:[/QUOTE]

At 67-68 degrees a little to cold for my aging feet. Turning up the heat only makes the air drier (gas hot air, efficient, low cost, very drying) and my commercial grade carpeting seems to be a blend of synthetic wool and steel wool. If I didn't rent my condo I'd find a solution. A humidifier added to the HVAC system would be the ticket, as long as humidity levels are above 30% it alleviates cattle prod issues by 99%. I've tried those portable humidifiers but the "open" design concept on each of my 3 floors combined with the square footage and 10 foot ceilings defeat them. 1st world problems, sheesh!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #3,952 of 14,566
Aug 3, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #3,953 of 14,566
It only slows down his new products. Please come over here to call my attention to digital problems. Just sayin'.

Thanks for the notes. Really appreciate you guys' candor and stratforward style of communication.

Another Eitr question - why does it still need powered USB hub with iOS* even though it's a 0ma device? Could it be a software issue since my first one didn't even work at all in iOS (and "may need a USB hub" was not in FAQ at the time) but fine with laptop/steamer? Could you shed some light on that?

* don't know if that's not an issue for other/newer models; still using 1-gen retina iPad running 30-pin CCK

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #3,955 of 14,566
Mr. Moffat I have a question about the Yggdrassil.
It's fed by a Cambridge Audio 851n network player (balanced).
Now every time it changes tracks it does the click-click thing to lock on the just phase/rate(??)
Sometimes however it's just a little "late".
There are tracks that, since I have the Yggdrassil, I never heard the first note of.
Always on the first track of an album.
It's not a big deal and I'm absolutely crushed with the Yggdrassil but is it something that can be tackled?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,956 of 14,566
Aug 3, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,957 of 14,566
lol, k. I guess I gotta send it in for an upgrade. Is there any way that I could just bring the bifrost to the Schiitr?

Also, leaning towards Spendor A5R for my two-channel setup. A6R is too expensive, and suitable for too large a space. I'm assuming I'll be in a studio or at most a one bedroom, given San Francisco's current rental prices...

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #3,958 of 14,566
Happy Birthday Mike!

When I plugged my Eitr into my Mac Pro system it sounded great except for those occasional little ticks. To test if it was coming in through the AC line I swapped to the output from my MacBook Pro running on battery and voila, the occasional little ticks aren't there. Just a dead silent black background. Eitr is an improvement for sure. [I realize my experiment doesn't distinguish whether it was the AC line or the computer that was injecting the noise. I'm going to try another AC circuit. The Mac Pro is on a UPS with filtering FWIW.]

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,959 of 14,566
Mr. Moffat I have a question about the Yggdrassil.
It's fed by a Cambridge Audio 851n network player (balanced).
Now every time it changes tracks it does the click-click thing to lock on the just phase/rate(??)
Sometimes however it's just a little "late".
There are tracks that, since I have the Yggdrassil, I never heard the first note of.
Always on the first track of an album.
It's not a big deal and I'm absolutely crushed with the Yggdrassil but is it something that can be tackled?
Thank you in advance.

I had the same exact issue using my RPI3 + volumio as a streamer along with volspotconnect2 as my Spotify plugin. The issue is that the underlying software releases the device (the digital output here) whenever a track change occurs and this may cause the yggy to 'see' it as an interruption of the digital signal and triggers the muting relay to avoid pops. Only Cambridge audio can fix that. ( I 'fixed' the iasue on my rpi3 by modifying the underlying code to play Spotify)

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #3,960 of 14,566
Here is the counsel: Once you realize that it is your say, flourescent light or air compressor turning on which causes the glitch, either set the light on or off or stop spray painting while you are listening. If it's an air conditioner or refrigerator, that's tougher. Try other AC plugs or send it back.

The worst is to alert Jason as it distracts him from his day to day doings and new product engineering. It only slows down his new products. Please come over here to call my attention to digital problems. Just sayin'.

Mike, I replaced my 10' Monoprice USB 2.0 cable with an ancient 6' Belkin Pro USB 2.0 cable I had stuffed away in a closet and "so far" my glitch problem appears to be gone. It was caused mainly by the A/C cycling on and off, which in southern Arizona happens a lot. It's been 2 days now and nothing, after switching USB cables. Now, whether it's due to me shortening the cable, or Belkin using 20awg power wires and 28awg twisted pair for data, with dual shielding on the cable itself, or a combo of the two, I can't say. I went with the 10' so I could route it away from power wires, which I can't do with the 6', but apparently, it doesn't matter with a better USB cable. Unfortunately, Belkin doesn't sell these cables anymore so I can't recommend it to people having a glitch problem with Eitr, but there has to be someone making an equivalent for a reasonable price... reasonable price being the key factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back