What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 8, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #3,196 of 14,566
Thanks. I must have missed that post. But that's interesting. Then I guess that it really needs a constant input in order to find those errors and that it will then be fine on all inputs afterwards.

Somehow I consider that a designflaw(if it is true). This would mean you need at least 2 devices(not counting a possible NAS not going to sleep)on 24-7. Ragnarok will be upon us alot sooner if we dont stop wasting resources like that. I dont even leave stuff on stand-by. Everthing is switched off via switches before I go to bed.
Call me a hippy but leaving on a DAC that consumes 2 or 4 watts in standby I would consider but leaving on a whole chain that consumes 40 or 50 watts is madness if you ask me. Especially if you dont even listen to it on a daily basis for at least a couple of hours.

May 8, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #3,197 of 14,566
Somehow I consider that a designflaw(if it is true). This would mean you need at least 2 devices(not counting a possible NAS not going to sleep)on 24-7. Ragnarok will be upon us alot sooner if we dont stop wasting resources like that. I dont even leave stuff on stand-by. Everthing is switched off via switches before I go to bed.
Call me a hippy but leaving on a DAC that consumes 2 or 4 watts in standby I would consider but leaving on a whole chain that consumes 40 or 50 watts is madness if you ask me. Especially if you dont even listen to it on a daily basis for at least a couple of hours.

Just the DAC needs to be left on. Feeding it music 24/7 may decrease warmup time (maybe, people seem to have quite mixed opinions on this), but keeping the DAC itself on is the important bit.

May 8, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #3,198 of 14,566
I dont think it always needs an input. I only ment during the initialization/settling period. Once it's done weeding I will leave it on as the only unit in my system. Forgettaboutit and enjoy my deserted island.

Is there any point in leaving a Mani on? Or is it to be treated as an amp?

May 8, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #3,199 of 14,566
I dont think it always needs an input. I only ment during the initialization/settling period. Once it's done weeding I will leave it on as the only unit in my system. Forgettaboutit and enjoy my deserted island.

Is there any point in leaving a Mani on? Or is it to be treated as an amp?
Just turn it off but remember, Mani to be the first on and last off.

May 8, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3,201 of 14,566
I always leave my Gungnir MB powered on, unless Thor's lightening bolts appear in the sky. This keeps the components warm. You don't need to play music through it, just keep it warm (with a cloth over) so that your cat will stake out the space. That furry body will add to the warmth of the DAC, and to the music. :)

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

May 8, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #3,203 of 14,566
AFAIK the MB DAC chips do not need an input to remove errors, they do that just sitting idle, no need to leave your amp/source on unless you want to and you think it sounds better when you do. Speaking from experience, leaving the Mimby on makes no discernable difference in my electric bill, and I've only had it off maybe a total of two weeks since I've owned it (bought it day 1, turned off for 2 vacations since). I've had no issues of ringing or glitches or anything else either.

May 9, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #3,204 of 14,566
A little jewelry-moment:
If I order a BiFrost MultiBit now. Will it have the same aluminium finish as my Saga?
It was my understanding (and it looks like that in pictures too) that Saga an Jotunheim have a different texture when compared to ye old Schiit.

May 9, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #3,205 of 14,566
Only the DAC need stay on. My Yggy generally only gets used on the weekend. As long as the Yggy has remained on then it's always ready to sound it's best - just as soon as the rest of the system is back on.

May 10, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,208 of 14,566
Here's a rare recording that I just listened to the first time in years — the live Domingo/Nilsson Tosca from the Met in 1969. The sound quality is not excellent, but the duo is the only one I would breathe in the same sentence as Callas and di Stefano from 1953. George Schinck, the conductor, is one of those excellent maestros that formed the Met's bench but never made a breakout moment, despite presiding over the Manhattan School of Music for the better part of a decade. Then again, there's only so much RAM. Not everyone can be a Solti or a Böhm.

May 11, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #3,209 of 14,566
Here's a rare recording that I just listened to the first time in years — the live Domingo/Nilsson Tosca from the Met in 1969. The sound quality is not excellent, but the duo is the only one I would breathe in the same sentence as Callas and di Stefano from 1953. George Schinck, the conductor, is one of those excellent maestros that formed the Met's bench but never made a breakout moment, despite presiding over the Manhattan School of Music for the better part of a decade. Then again, there's only so much RAM. Not everyone can be a Solti or a Böhm.

"Tosca", certainly one for the island.

I hope this desert island isn't going to be like a reality TV version of that series "Lost". I watched one episode and didn't get what all the fuss was about! (or any (un)-reality TV for that matter).

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #3,210 of 14,566
"Tosca", certainly one for the island.

I hope this desert island isn't going to be like a reality TV version of that series "Lost". I watched one episode and didn't get what all the fuss was about! (or any (un)-reality TV for that matter).

I don't think "Lost" was a reality show, at least I hope not! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back