What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 27, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #3,076 of 14,566
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. This Desert Island series has caused me to pick up new CDs by This Mortal Coil, Portishead Live, Buckethead (?)… Can’t wait.

I'm glad at least a couple of my suggestions grabbed your attention. Just in case you didn't notice it when buying it, the Portishead album is also available as DVD and it's pretty good. Impeccable audio quality and a very nice camera work.

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #3,079 of 14,566
We'll have to wait to ship out until the Steven Wilson re-mix of "Songs From The Wood" comes out in May.

That's great. I may wait for the standalone CD July release.

I see that he offered the Chicago II remix back in January, so I went ahead and snagged a copy of that. Thanks.

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,082 of 14,566
Some great selections here, people! I'm a wee bit late with this impossible task, but here's my non-LAME (har har) attempt:

-Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade - Live Frogs 1 & 2 (1 contains an epic cover of Shine On You Crazy Diamond, and 2 contains a wonderfully executed Pink Floyd's Animals)
-Critters Buggin - Stampede
-Garage a Trois - Always Be Happy, But Stay Evil (or the May 18, 2011 show from Pittsburgh)
-The Pixies - Bossanova [MFSL]
-Tool - 10,000 Days (or Lateralus)

Honourable mentions:

-Art Blakey - Art Blakey!!!!! Jazz Messengers!!!!!
-Beck - Sea Change [MFSL]
-Boards of Canada - A Beautiful Place Out in the Country EP (or The Campfire Headphase)
-Floating Action - Desert Etiquette
-Bill Frisell - with Dave Holland & Elvin Jones, (or) Quartet, (or) Unspeakable, (or, countless live performances and other albums)
-Leo Kottke - My Father's Face
-Fela Kuti - Best of the Black President
-Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There? [The Wall Live]
-Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - The Live Anthology (5 disc version... all the Petty you'd ever need)
-Radiohead - anything after OK Computer
-Roger Waters - Amused to Death (either the CD or the new 24/192 would suffice)
-Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971 (or countless others... ugh)

There's simply too many others from Ween, Zappa, John Zorn, Béla Fleck, Brian Eno, Coltrane, Talking Heads, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Marc Ribot, Dylan, The Band, Miles, Ellington, and, and, and....
I'd have to just bring my hard drive enclosure, as I've got over 7 TB of stuff (including a lot of live recordings).

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #3,087 of 14,566
That was Sgt Schultz...LOL.

Sgt Scultz.jpeg

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,088 of 14,566
John banner was a good man who lost a lot of his family to the holocaust, he even served in the U.S. Army during WWII.

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #3,089 of 14,566
-Beck - Sea Change [MFSL]
-Radiohead - anything after OK Computer
-Roger Waters - Amused to Death (either the CD or the new 24/192 would suffice)

I was going to suggest those too, but I realized I would be cheating again :smirk:

Amused to Death is such a fantastic album that in my opinion can compete head to head with any Pink Floyd's one. Sea Change from Beck is so so good that most probably, in the future critics will cite it as his best work ever (some are already saying that).

I sincerely hope you're not saying Ok Computer is a bad Radiohead album, cause it is THE BEST Radiohead album. If you disagree, PM me and we can do the arrangements for a duel. :wrestlers:

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #3,090 of 14,566
OK Computer is excellent, but it's not my favorite of theirs. It has a syrupy saccarine quality I don't care for. I prefer their later more experimental stuff which is when they really started to drift from the pack of rock bands. And yes, Sea Change is god like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back