What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 27, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #3,063 of 14,566
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. This Desert Island series has caused me to pick up new CDs by This Mortal Coil, Portishead Live, Buckethead (?)… Can’t wait.

EDIT: Buckethead! A little Joe Satriani, a little Pat Metheny.

Did someone mention Brandi Carlile? I ended up with both her first release, The Stories, and its 10th anniversary tribute cover album being released next month, Cover Stories, with contributing artists the likes of Dolly Parton, Kris Kristofferson, Avett Brothers, Indigo Girls, Torres, Pearl Jam, Adele… I saw Brandi by chance at Bottlerock 2013, and was so taken with her singing that I immediately bought her Bear Creek CD when I got back.

I was surprised that no one mentioned Aqualung. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #3,064 of 14,566
I see why Mike recommended the resurrection symphony to me. Really enjoying the Rattle recording, though he did recommend another one—Klemperer? Walter?

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #3,065 of 14,566
I second some Jethro Tull, either Auqalung, Thick as a Brick or Songs from the Wood...

:L3000:

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #3,066 of 14,566
I second some Jethro Tull, either Auqalung, Thick as a Brick or Songs from the Wood...

:L3000:

We'll have to wait to ship out until the Steven Wilson re-mix of "Songs From The Wood" comes out in May.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #3,067 of 14,566
I saw Brandi Carlile here in Florida at the Clearwater Jazz Holiday a few years back and was hooked also.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #3,068 of 14,566
I see why Mike recommended the resurrection symphony to me. Really enjoying the Rattle recording, though he did recommend another one—Klemperer? Walter?

Either one. I must have 12 different recorded versions of this (as well as every other one of his except #8 - only 3 versions (well, more like 6 I guess). Klemperer is monumental, granitic. Walter was a close associate of Mahler's and not as hard driven as many Mahler conductors can be, the music just flows. I think even Mahler himself felt there were a lot of valid ways to present his works. More than most any other composer I can think of his music has some sort of flexibility that responds to a wide variety of approaches.

Another thought, I came to appreciate Boulez as a conductor late in both our lives. He has a very straight forward (less heart on sleeve) approach to Mahler that I found a nice counterpoint to many other conductors approaches. Tennstedt is another favorite of mine. No one conductor gets them all right but I guess one could say that about any composers works and those who conduct them.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #3,069 of 14,566
Would somebody who is totally into classical music appreciate something like Apparat - Krieg und Frieden?
I like alot of music where the lines are blurred between genres and sometimes wonder where those lines are for other people.

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,070 of 14,566

Klemperer! That dude could rock!!
(and I know who he was LOL)

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #3,071 of 14,566
Klemperer! That dude could rock!!

werner_klemperer.jpg

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #3,072 of 14,566
They are both good but I am partial to the Bernstein/LSO live performance in Ely Cathedral, recorded on video and available on DVD or CD:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7B88CDBF9DF814A8

Don't miss it if you have a chance to attend a live performance. Over the decades I have been to 3 performances at the San Francisco Symphony (most recently last year). The impact is something that can't be captured on a stereo system.

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #3,073 of 14,566
Would somebody who is totally into classical music appreciate something like Apparat - Krieg und Frieden?

I like alot of music where the lines are blurred between genres and sometimes wonder where those lines are for other people.

I'm not familiar with Apparat - Krieg und Frieden but I'd say its case by case. I personally have no reason to dislike any music that isn't bona-fide classical. I'm not a snob when it comes to music, the music either speaks to me or it doesn't, whatever the genre is.

Again, it can vary. I like film soundtracks, all forms of jazz, and rock and whether the music has mixed genre elements taken from each other or attempts to cross into classical, or not. If the music is interesting and satisfying to listen to for whatever reason I'm okay with it. I just gravitate to classical most of the time and for lot of different reasons. I can't comment on other genres as I have no experience, or the little exposure I have had hasn't been compelling.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #3,074 of 14,566
Don't miss it if you have a chance to attend a live performance. Over the decades I have been to 3 performances at the San Francisco Symphony (most recently last year). The impact is something that can't be captured on a stereo system.

Absolutely true and correct.

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #3,075 of 14,566

Users who are viewing this thread

Back