What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 31, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,596 of 14,566
Are these recordings really "Extraordinary Met Performances"?

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #2,597 of 14,566
Mar 31, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #2,598 of 14,566
Mike,

Someone over on CA suggested that you guys have made some changes to Yggdrasil recently that address some issues. 

I ask because of this post:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31284-just-got-a-yggdrasil/?do=findComment&comment=646276

Here is the important sentence:

"I'm not at liberty to say what all has been changed, and the Yggy that I have is ostensibly one of the first to incorporate those changes."

The implication is that something has changed to address some “problem” within the Yggdrasil.

Have there been any firmware or other changes to Yggdrasil builds recently that would affect (improve) the sound quality?

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,600 of 14,566
  ... or maybe the USB compatibility with some flavors of Linux?

Move along, please.  All Schiit fanbois know that Schiit's USB implementations are flawless and any problems experienced are entirely due to user error.  And if someone still insists there's a USB problem, the proper fix is to buy a third-party USB-to-SPDIF converter, which will miraculously correct the above said user error.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #2,601 of 14,566
  Mike,

Someone over on CA suggested that you guys have made some changes to Yggdrasil recently that address some issues.

"I'm not at liberty to say what all has been changed, and the Yggy that I have is ostensibly one of the first to incorporate those changes."

Thanks!

If I didn't announce it - it ain't real.

I did, however, see Elvis in the men's room at the Pantages Theatre the other night.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 31, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #2,602 of 14,566
My $0.02 from back then.

The home cassette decks we liked were Nakamichi, Tandberg, and the Advent 201. We thought we were making good copies, but they really only sounded good played back on the same machine they were recorded on. The vinyl still sounded better, but it was sure fun to have the albums in the car.

IMO based on my FM (fractured memory)

My personal favorite back in the day was a Pioneer CT-F1000, and the tapes actually sounded quite good in the car stereo. Wow, what a blast from the past!

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #2,603 of 14,566

If I didn't announce it - it ain't real.

I did, however, see Elvis in the men's room at the Pantages Theatre the other night.

But you aren't denying it......hmm.....

Only one? Slow night then.....

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #2,605 of 14,566

But you aren't denying it......hmm.....

Only one? Slow night then.....

...no point denying the obvious misinformation.

No need feeding the trolls who want to shame Mike into some revelatory admission pro or contrary.
To say that Mike would make a change without informing his adulating fanbase is to say he's no better than Sennheiser, AKG, Stax, etc who make changes without notice......

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #2,606 of 14,566
I'm curious how much goes into the design of a DAC using off the shelf D/S chip. Many companies use the same chips, and produce different results. I'm mostly curious because I'm considering buying a Fulla 2 or Modi/Magni stack to sit on my desk at work, and both of those use the AKM 4490, which so happens to be the same chip I have in my smartphone, which to my ears is pretty good for delta-sigma. Obviously a company sticking a decent D/A, and some unknown op-amp into a phone isn't a fair comparison to a desktop DAC/AMP, but I'd love to know what the difference between a really good implementation and some random company buying a lot of chips and soldering them on phone boards is.

I feel like the simplest answer might be that you actually give a Schiit.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #2,607 of 14,566
  I'm curious how much goes into the design of a DAC using off the shelf D/S chip. Many companies use the same chips, and produce different results. I'm mostly curious because I'm considering buying a Fulla 2 or Modi/Magni stack to sit on my desk at work, and both of those use the AKM 4490, which so happens to be the same chip I have in my smartphone, which to my ears is pretty good for delta-sigma. Obviously a company sticking a decent D/A, and some unknown op-amp into a phone isn't a fair comparison to a desktop DAC/AMP, but I'd love to know what the difference between a really good implementation and some random company buying a lot of chips and soldering them on phone boards is.

I feel like the simplest answer might be that you actually give a Schiit.

Almost oversimplified, but a fair answer.

1.  Better circuit layout, optimized for an analog/digital component, not an RF component. 
2.  Separate metal chassis of much better electrostatic/electromagnetic separation.
3.  MUCH better passive parts, including thin-film resistors and much more expensive film capacitors in the analog sections.  This, along with the metal chassis, is the lion's share of the cost.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 1, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #2,608 of 14,566

Almost oversimplified, but a fair answer.

1.  Better circuit layout, optimized for an analog/digital component, not an RF component. 
2.  Separate metal chassis of much better electrostatic/electromagnetic separation.
3.  MUCH better passive parts, including thin-film resistors and much more expensive film capacitors in the analog sections.  This, along with the metal chassis, is the lion's share of the cost.

Wow. Thank you for the quick response!

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,610 of 14,566
Any celebs hanging at the Schittr yet?  

Which celeb would one want to sport Schiit?

BTW, am I correct in thinking that a Gungnir will play louder than a Bifrost because of the balanced vs single ended outputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back