What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 30, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #2,581 of 14,566
Eitr is a mythical substance in Norse mythology. This liquid substance is the origin of all living things: the first giant Ymir was conceived from eitr. The substance is supposed to be very poisonous and is also produced by Jörmungandr (the Midgard serpent) and other serpents.
                                                                                                                   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eitr

I guess it is "Snake oil"?
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #2,582 of 14,566
  Eitr is a mythical substance in Norse mythology. This liquid substance is the origin of all living things: the first giant Ymir was conceived from eitr. The substance is supposed to be very poisonous and is also produced by Jörmungandr (the Midgard serpent) and other serpents.

tongue.gif

That would be nice.
Oil made of snake schiit.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #2,583 of 14,566
I have a funny feeling about 'Eitr'. I am German, and in German the word 'Eiter' (which is etymologically linked with eitr) means pus. The vowel is more pronounced like in 'eye' than like in 'eater'.

Schiit Eitr is just too much for my stomach.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,584 of 14,566
  I have a funny feeling about 'Eitr'. I am German, and in German the word 'Eiter' (which is etymologically linked with eitr) means pus. The vowel is more pronounced like in 'eye' than like in 'eater'.

Schiit Eitr is just too much for my stomach.

Enough to make one feel queezy! 

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #2,585 of 14,566

tongue.gif

More like the Elephant In The Room (that Jason guy is a clever rascal)

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,586 of 14,566
In the entire history of audio playback, there have been five major transitions in media:

1. Cylinder to flat 78 RPM records
2. 78 RPM to primarily 33 and secondarily 45 RPM records.
3. Mono to compatible Stereo records
4. Stereo Records to Stereo Digital Compact Discs
5. Stereo Digital Compact Discs to Stereo Downloaded/Streamed Audio
(In all fairness, the last transition above includes lossy formats (MP3). Those of interest to audiophiles would be lossless such as PCM or FLAC.))

All of these transitions required a complete repurchase of old media to utilize the new. Since the majority of audio enthusiasts had more invested in media than their reproduction, there is an enormous amount of inertia/resistance to change in any transition of media. This resistance to change extends to those who are in the business of providing the media. The importance of this fact is not to be taken lightly. This is exactly why there have been so few changes in audio formats.

Here is a list of (by no means complete) of consumer audio failed format proposals: Four track cartridges, eight track cartridges, open reel tapes, mini cassette, microcassette, elcaset, deutsche cassette, sq quadraphonic, cd-4 quadraphonic, qs-matrix quadraphonic, surround sound audio, DAT, digital compact cassette, mini-discs, DVD-Audio, SACD, HDCD, and Blu-ray high fidelity pure audio. On probable deathwatch is DSD. What all of the above formats have in common is that none of them had a complete (or even near complete) catalog of music already available on the prior existing format. The above list is a perfect example of that definition of insanity by doing the same thing repeatedly expecting different results. (I should talk – I suckered myself into making a DSD product – the Loki)

Hi Mike, had a question about the above comment.  It seems like the distinction you're drawing around major transitions comes down to a complete catalog of music.  I don't disagree.  I'm curious though why compact cassette tapes wouldn't be considered a major transition in between stereo records and CDs?  Certainly not the expert, but I believe cassettes had complete or almost complete support from the record companies and they were around for ~40 years and were popular/widespread for much of that time.  Is it because compared to other mediums, it wasn't _as_ "hi-fi" as the others?

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #2,587 of 14,566
I won't pretend to know what Mike might say, but to me things like cassettes and any other analog tape format belongs in the same category as stereo vinyl as they are the same content just made more portable. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #2,588 of 14,566
Eiter <=> Ether(net), bluetooth, wifi, usb to rca-/bnc spdif, es/ebu.

Its the google audio über w.o. the super annoying app restrictions and w. proper connections.

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,590 of 14,566
Hi Mike, had a question about the above comment.  It seems like the distinction you're drawing around major transitions comes down to a complete catalog of music.  I don't disagree.  I'm curious though why compact cassette tapes wouldn't be considered a major transition in between stereo records and CDs?  Certainly not the expert, but I believe cassettes had complete or almost complete support from the record companies and they were around for ~40 years and were popular/widespread for much of that time.  Is it because compared to other mediums, it wasn't _as_ "hi-fi" as the others?

My $0.02 from back then.

Cassette wasn't for fidelity, and it didn't have to involve re-buying music. We listened to vinyl at home. We ripped our albums to cassette so we could play them in our cars. The blank cassette cost was negligible, with Maxell, TDK, and BASF slugging it out. The home cassette decks we liked were Nakamichi, Tandberg, and the Advent 201. We thought we were making good copies, but they really only sounded good played back on the same machine they were recorded on. The vinyl still sounded better, but it was sure fun to have the albums in the car.

IMO based on my FM (fractured memory)

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2,591 of 14,566
My $0.02 from back then.

Cassette wasn't for fidelity, and it didn't have to involve re-buying music. We listened to vinyl at home. We ripped our albums to cassette so we could play them in our cars. The blank cassette cost was negligible, with Maxell, TDK, and BASF slugging it out. The home cassette decks we liked were Nakamichi, Tandberg, and the Advent 201. We thought we were making good copies, but they really only sounded good played back on the same machine they were recorded on. The vinyl still sounded better, but it was sure fun to have the albums in the car.

IMO based on my FM (fractured memory)

and mixtapes... 

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #2,595 of 14,566
  I think the're coming with the ultimate lossless format and make it open source.

That's basically what FLAC already is. Short of better compression algorithms or possibly adding new metadata features, there isn't really anything you could do to improve upon current lossless tech since you're already preserving the original data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back