What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 19, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #2,491 of 14,566

Brings to mind the first  Theta Digital DAC circa 1983.

​The only thing digital about the ARP 2500 was some relay logic.  :)  Glorious analog oscillators and envelope filters!

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #2,494 of 14,566
A little history on Ableza's toy. DEFINITELY not a device for the faint of heart!!!

http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/2500.php

​Ha!  Thanks for that link.  The image of the main console with the back removed brought back MANY memories. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2,495 of 14,566
  It's really quit amusing how we all pretend to know what Mike is brooding while none of us knows anything.

Just to be crystal clear, I do not know anything about the Gadget or Schiit's plans or Mike's. I am speculating idly and with no more info than in this forum.

Idle speculation is fun. Unless you're doing it with real estate or stocks, then it's nerve-wracking.

If anyone is amused, my goal is met.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #2,497 of 14,566
Mar 23, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,499 of 14,566
Brings to mind the first  Theta Digital DAC circa 1983.

Nothing wrong with my imagination.

Does there exist any pictures of that ancient converter that you could be persuaded to digitalise and share with us?

How much more flexible and future proof is the Yggdrasil with all its seven cards than the GungnirMB? Is upgrades of the parts that cant be changed in Gungnir likely to be made in Yggdrasil?

I have a weird issue with my MoJo when playing from Ipad via camera adapter. At random intervals the musik slows down and starts to "stutter".. Is this what is called jitter and what is causing this?
Hope to understand digital issues better with this example.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #2,500 of 14,566
Hi MOFOfunk

We're going off topic but I had the same thing yesterday with my Mojo and iPhone listening to Qobuz, the stream seemed to run at half speed and was very juddery. However I don't think this is jitter.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #2,501 of 14,566
Hej Rodders. Sure its a product from another manufacturer, which I also have no intention to discuss here. It might be a product specific issue, could also be an iOS issue, could be some USB bug or a combination.
I was hoping one of the oracles in here could shed some general light on various digital issues. And only using this as an example because its so extreme and so audible. i reset it by un- and repluggin the USB.
Perhaps it's not the right place for such. Though I would be very interested to hear if Balder have struggled with and overcome such and similar obstacles designing the schiit dacs.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #2,502 of 14,566
Whatever you folks are discussing it is NOT jitter.  It's some sort of software error or processor glitch.  I'd start by rebooting the DAC and see if there is a software update fro the manufacturer.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,504 of 14,566
@MOFOfunk @r0dd3r5 Wireless iDevice streaming to DAC? Either the iDevice is choking under the strain, or your wifi is not as reliable as you expect. My experience in a medium-sized, (by US standards) relatively dense city is that wifi is just not reliable enough for high quality streaming. My Schiit DACs are fed by Cat 6-wired streamers, the only way to have reliable networked uncompressed music.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #2,505 of 14,566
@earnmyturns, I was on a train at the time using 3G mobile network :grin: First time this has happened having made the same trip many times before. Previously I used Tidal so I guess it may be that Qobuz uses more bandwidth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back