What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 8, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #2,267 of 14,566
Mar 8, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #2,269 of 14,566
From "the failing" nyt: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/arts/music/listen-to-part-of-long-lost-liszt-opera-sardanapalo.html?smid=tw-nytimesarts&smtyp=cur

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2,270 of 14,566
  What prevents people from copying MP and releasing a software plugin or converter then?

The same thing that keeps people from copying the burrito filter and running it in a computer.  You need to decomplile the code, take a guess at what the dis-assembler came up with, try to get it recompiled to run in a  computer which sounds like ass, get on and off the machine without making it more sound like ass squared.  Dozens of hours of a computer science guy's time for a bad copy.  Why??

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 8, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #2,271 of 14,566
Best case scenario you sell the rip off in a third world country without patent protection for cheap and make negligible money. If it were the iPhone or a Nintendo game I could see it but mp is a niche of a niche.

I agree, can't see a why.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #2,272 of 14,566
  Toslink Smoslink.  Give me AES/EBU.

Gotta say, the simplification wrought by replacing lots of stuff with a Bryston BDP-1 and AES/EBU is very satisfying.

The best part may be that there is no apparent market for AES/EBU "improvers" so I am no longer wondering what I can do to improve it!  Done!  More time to find a copy of Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor (wink, wink).

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #2,273 of 14,566
It's easier to rip the board/transformers out of the box and put it into an expensive looking case and then sell it as something else.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #2,274 of 14,566
(snip) (wink, wink).

You rang...?   
wink_face.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,276 of 14,566
I think I get the gist of what the MP is, and I imagine it achieves everything MQA promises, but with all my existing music. I realize all the overtones and artifacts of the live performance are smeared during recording and mastering, but they could be time re-aligned in the digital space prior to hitting the DAC, which if the DAC keeps everything time aligned as my fantastic Gumby does, then the presence of especially acoustic music will feel much more real and alive. I love it and can't wait!

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #2,278 of 14,566
I hope someone could clear up some confusion I have about s/pdif, usb and converters between them. I have a 2007 macbook pro with an SSD. I use toslink out to my bimby and also sometimes use usb with wryd. I thought most other computers have toslink too, so why use a usb/toslink or usb/whatever converter ? Is it because people using those converters just don't have an s/pdif output from their computer ?  I'm not aware of any deficiency my 07 MBP toslink output would have and why its usb would have an advantage even if using wyrd. 
Moreover, is it the actual input on the DAC side that some people prefer as opposed to whatever output method they choose from their computer ? 

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,279 of 14,566
  I hope someone could clear up some confusion I have about s/pdif, usb and converters between them. I have a 2007 macbook pro with an SSD. I use toslink out to my bimby and also sometimes use usb with wryd. I thought most other computers have toslink too, so why use a usb/toslink or usb/whatever converter ? Is it because people using those converters just don't have an s/pdif output from their computer ?  I'm not aware of any deficiency my 07 MBP toslink output would have and why its usb would have an advantage even if using wyrd. 
Moreover, is it the actual input on the DAC side that some people prefer as opposed to whatever output method they choose from their computer ? 

Use the output that SOUNDS BEST TO YOU! There are an infinite stack of situations that can change an infinite number of parameters, but the end result is HOW DOES IT SOUND TO YOU?

Sit back and enjoy YOUR music.

Mar 9, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,280 of 14,566
Most Windows-based PCs do not include S/PDIF outputs and would require a sound card that offers that.  All PCs include USB output, which is one reason why that became a popular interface for audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back