What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 7, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #2,251 of 14,566

Since we only have the engine complete, we still have a phuc ton of reprogramming, the IO and balance of design.  No presentation other being available at the show.  Go easy on her, it is her first show.

Pretty and smart. Bring on the Manhattan con habanero salsa! :wink:

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #2,252 of 14,566
I know Mike would scoff at vegan sushi, but my favorite restaurant in the city, right here in the Mission, is Shizen Vegan Sushi (270 14th St.)

Their signature role is the "surprise ending" (saying it makes me want to go eat it! only 7 mins away at a brisk walk) which is six pieces of sushi. One piece has habanero paste inside but only the chef knows which one! It brought my sister to tears last June for my birthday. It's a judicious but brilliant exercise in japanese cuisine. I'm not a vegan but love the restaurant dearly.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #2,253 of 14,566

Since we only have the engine complete, we still have a phuc ton of reprogramming, the IO and balance of design.  No presentation other being available at the show.  Go easy on her, it is her first show.

Is that picture from inside Schiit Central?  Anything in the background we can use to figure out Schiit's next big product dump?

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #2,254 of 14,566
My original notion was to offer an adjustable version. Since it is possible to adjust the MP to bounce you out of the music and make the music absolutely like ass, the notion is more to make it fixed. Better, totally autoseeking versions could have BBM lights (Buy Better Music) similar to the Buy Better Gear lights on Gumby and Yggy. All early stuff.

Maybe stops at each end to keep it out of ass and continuous with presets at historical references in the middle.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #2,255 of 14,566
  Yeah, back in the day they were great.  We upped the ante at the time with single mode cables which were much better.  The problem was that they were made by an artisan that could make one or two hand-lapped cables per hour which all sounded slightly different.  Kinda like Decca cartridges.  I hear you, a good one is a great one, but it would be a non-standard plug/socket and a non-reproducible product.

I remember listening to that (the Laser Linque) at a dealer/friend's.  The best thing going while it was out, and very possibly still today.

Y'know, single mode fiber Ethernet is a standardized interface - just sayin'.  :)

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2,256 of 14,566
Please understand anything I write about MP is based upon very little listening experience. The more I listen, the more I realize it is a very different kind of Audio drug. It changes listening "to" to listening "in" and is a very different experience. My original notion was to offer an adjustable version. Since it is possible to adjust the MP to bounce you out of the music and make the music absolutely like ass, the notion is more to make it fixed. Better, totally autoseeking versions could have BBM lights (Buy Better Music) similar to the Buy Better Gear lights on Gumby and Yggy. All early stuff.

I would think it would be fine with Bollywood, but have never tried it. Also, it is a single purpose device which has nothing to do with any other hardware functions.

Perhaps not being negative with a BBM light, you might consider lighting up a MQA (for Manhattan Quality Audio) labeled LED when everything is working as designed.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #2,257 of 14,566
I remember listening to that (the Laser Linque) at a dealer/friend's.  The best thing going while it was out, and very possibly still today.

Y'know, single mode fiber Ethernet is a standardized interface - just sayin'.  :)

Packetized Ethernet doesn't offer the same advantages as a streaming protocol like S/PDIF (designed for audio) and requires translation and reclocking to be useful for audio. Chances are big that the signal will get converted to S/PDIf at some point, too.

Laserlink (or whatever you want to call S/PDIF over multimode fiber) provides galvanic isolation, speed and an audio streaming protocol all at once. Hard to beat that, unless you're willing to spend some serious time engineering an electrically quiet (and isolated) and fast interface to achieve the same thing.

Oh wait! Word is, Mike Moffat is working on that.
The guy who gave his name to the MM cartridge... Hopes are high!

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #2,258 of 14,566
Packetized Ethernet doesn't offer the same advantages as a streaming protocol like S/PDIF (designed for audio) and requires translation and reclocking to be useful for audio. Chances are big that the signal will get converted to S/PDIf at some point, too.

Laserlink (or whatever you want to call S/PDIF over multimode fiber) provides galvanic isolation, speed and an audio streaming protocol all at once. Hard to beat that, unless you're willing to spend some serious time engineering an electrically quiet (and isolated) and fast interface to achieve the same thing.

Except that optical is not the preferred SPDIF interface. BNC coax is 1st, RCA coax is 2nd, and optical is 3rd. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #2,259 of 14,566

You can use single mode fiber for more than ethernet. It is just a medium, Just like copper can carry more than just ethernet or power or rapid/io or SAS etc. We use the same type of fiber for Ethernet And for Fibre Channel SAN, which has been using fiber as a medium for decades as opposed to ethernet which did not see wide spread use until the past five years, The Transceivers and protocol are the difference.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,261 of 14,566

Except that optical is not the preferred SPDIF interface. BNC coax is 1st, RCA coax is 2nd, and optical is 3rd. 

Yeah, but all opticals are not created alike.  Single mode high b/w hand-lapped to plastic pipe cut with glorified diagonal cutters (TOS).  Gold to mud.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 8, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #2,263 of 14,566

Yeah, but all opticals are not created alike.  Single mode high b/w hand-lapped to plastic pipe cut with glorified diagonal cutters (TOS).  Gold to mud.

For sure!

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,265 of 14,566

Yeah, but all gold is not created equal. Has it been stolen? Cursed by a dwarf? WILL ITS THEFT LEAD TO RAGNAROK??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back