What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 5, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #91 of 14,566
Yep, we're technically talking about USB Audio Class 2 (UAC2), which is the version that enables rates above 24/96 and requires USB 2.0 or higher for what the techies call a "physical interface." UAC2 requires drivers on Windows, but does not on Mac OS, iOS, Android 5.0 and above, and most Linux distros. Which is why we kinda point and laugh at Windows. When phones support it, and not your supposedly-flagship PC OS, that's really embarrassing.

The Windows environment is changing in real time, however, adding to the insanity. Plug in many of our DACs to many Windows 8 and 10 systems, and the USB drivers will be installed automatically. Note the "many" and "many." Yep, Microsoft and C-Media are still negotiating on this one, clearly. But it is getting better. I would not be surprised to see a standard Microsoft UAC2 driver show up in W10 Service Pack 1. How good it will be is entirely anyone's guess.

Aaaaaannnddddd...to make things a complete bundle of fun on the USB audio side, add in the fact that many Windows devices have insane and draconian power management on the USB ports, allowing the OS to effectively shut down the USB port (to get 1.3 minutes more battery life, or whatever). This power management means that some systems will not power our DACs, nor recognize them when plugged in. Want more craziness? There are two ways to turn off this power management. Both are necessary. But disabling both sometimes still doesn't solve the problem. Some systems re-enable the power management when the system is rebooted, too...

Bottom line, if you want it easy, get a Mac. Get a USB cable. Plug it in. Sit back. Listen.

(And this is coming from another user of both Macs and PCs. I prefer Macs today. For PC cred, consider I ran a creative agency for 7 years with NO Macs at all--and this is in the Windows 95-W2000 years. After that, I gave in to my creative directors' wish to go to Macs for easier hiring. After using them for a while, I'll proudly be part of the Starbucks crowd.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 6, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #92 of 14,566
I just want to point out that apple products are always expensive can be a misconception. I bought a macbook air haswell edition because I shopped around and it was not only the most balanced (fesutres and power vs battery life) and cheapest ultrabook in the market. Granted, I chose the reburished option for the 15% off but still.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #93 of 14,566
I also think that the notion that Macs are the most expensive is antiquated. They've come down in price a little over the years, and it's never been just about the hardware. You're paying extra for built-in software, and as has been mentioned, the "it just works" mentality. The durability and design are also much better. While I am not saying they're cheap, the idea that you have to give up a kidney to get one is ridiculous. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #94 of 14,566
You also have to take into accounting timing of product launches and refreshes. 3 years ago, Apple was ahead in value. When Apple first brought out their aluminum chassis machines they were way ahead in value. Sony was still pricing slower machines with less features for more than a Macbook Pro at the time. Another way to look at pricing would be say that the upper end of the personal computing market is dominated by Apple with pretty much only Alienware being able to compete (why Dell bought them).

Unfortunately, right now, I would say that Apple is behind in value. The last refresh of the laptop line should have been more than a CPU upgrade. They are late on things like touchscreens, 2in1 design, and even thinness and weight. Apple also needs to spend time and actually make OSX an Apple product. It has been a hodge-podge of interface designs that has only gotten worse since 10.3. Now you have multiple UIs trying to do the same thing, but being called from different places. Worse, there are different UIs that are accessed from different places in order to do similar functions but are mutually exclusive. For example, Network Panel is a real mess. Windows 8/10 also have this issue, but at least Microsoft seems to be working on it.

I am OS agnostic as I am currently typing this on a Win7 machine (self-built) that is VNC'd to my Linux server (self-built) that is actually interfacing with HF while my Mac (bought) is doing something else.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #95 of 14,566
Wow, a Mac VS PC argument.  How 1998. 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #96 of 14,566
Dec 6, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #98 of 14,566
Great explanation Jason and I agree, I would love a Max and wish mine never had died.

At work, I get a PC laptop issued to me and this no choice. I'm lucky I have an i7. One of the owners uses a Mac Mini at home, and many of us have iPads and just about the whole office uses iPhones. However, for basic office tasks there is greater value on PCs, but performance and system architecture is better on Macs no question. This added performance does not pay off for all offices or users, although my preference would be for Macs.

Still, nobody has anything to say on FireWire or IEEE1394. I know it is practically outdated now, just wondering how much different the protocols are to UAC2.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #99 of 14,566
Aw man, now I've got the itch to try a Linux music server. I will compare this to my current Windows/Foobar music server --> 2.0 speakers (which I thought sounded good!). Luckily I have a bunch of old PC parts lying around...

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #100 of 14,566
  ... Take heart, there is an older model Mac available used for a very small amount of money that makes the very best sounding USB music server I have ever found. As soon as I have my backup unit, I will formally offer that opinion. ..

Do it now, my ebay finger is twitching. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #101 of 14,566
  Take heart, there is an older model Mac available used for a very small amount of money that makes the very best sounding USB music server I have ever found. As soon as I have my backup unit, I will formally offer that opinion.

Please say it's a Cube.  I have one in storage.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #103 of 14,566
Just Pointing Out. before You pull the trigger on a mac on ebay make sure that particular one can be upgraded so you don't have issues with software not wanting to run on the older Mac Operating systems
I Dug out the Wife's Old Mac Mini. Turns Out some of the older ones while still viable cannot get newer software and or browsers to run with it. (Core Duo Processor so its only 32 bit) . It will Only go up to OSX 10.7.  While I could Dual Boot with Linux it Almost Defeats the purpose of the mac as its usually easier to run Linux on standard PC hardware. Back to the Drawing Board.

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #104 of 14,566
When building a music server you don't really care if new software will run on it.  Indeed, you really don't want anything on it other than the necessary server/playback software.  IMO anyway.

Here's some good software for you:  http://vortexbox.org/downloads

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #105 of 14,566
I have a windows machine in the office because it runs all the programs I need, and with a Wyrd it sounds "fine".

At home I have a mac music server, and after back and forth listening I actually prefer the optical over usb.  Maybe I'm crazy or it's a total placebo, but I like what I hear over the optical so I'm sticking with it.
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back