What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 21, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #10,276 of 14,566
Lol if it’s too watery add coffee relative to water. I typically take 15:1, but my dad likes 9:1, so that’s what he gets when I’m in LA.
I meant that whenever I order pour over in a coffee shop (even the specialty high end shops), it's invariably weaker than what I like. Of course at home I can adjust the strength, though I still prefer the thicker consistency from AeroPress. BTW, what's with this "pour over" term which I never heard of until about 5 years ago? Before I started using AeroPress, for years (decades) I had been doing manual pour into a cone filter, and the term I'd known was drip or filtered coffee. Isn't it the same as "pour over"?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #10,277 of 14,566
I meant that whenever I order pour over in a coffee shop (even the specialty high end shops), it's invariably weaker than what I like. Of course at home I can adjust the strength, though I still prefer the thicker consistency from AeroPress. BTW, what's with this "pour over" term which I never heard of until about 5 years ago? Before I started using AeroPress, for years (decades) I had been doing manual pour into a cone filter, and the term I'd known was drip or filtered coffee. Isn't it the same as "pour over"?

Although some of the newer filter holders allow you to hold the water in the filter longer to allow the coffee to sit longer, yours would still be "pour over".

Apr 22, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #10,278 of 14,566
Yes. Pour over is the preferred term in American third-wave coffee shops; in Europe, they use the term filter coffee. I recommend the Kalita wave—metal is more durable, glass/ceramic allegedly tastes more pure. The three basic kinds of drippers are the big hole drippers, the small hole drippers, and the three hole drippers (with the holes as triangles). I have all three versions, including the blue bottle little hole dripper. I have done some side by side tests, but the results are inconclusive. I'm always unsure whether to hold the grind size consistent and deal with the blue bottle dripping more slowly, or coarsen the grind to get a consistent drip speed.

Just got an African coffee. We'll see how it does this week as my espresso runs out. It's labeled 'apricot - lemon verbena - delicate.' It's the Ethiopian Layo Terago from Verve. The Don Jose is my current interest as far as espresso goes. I've had to dial the grind way down superfine - and load up fully 22g into the portafilter, but the flavor is very, very good. It blossoms on the tongue in a way I haven't yet tasted - so I'm trying to get a full 5 lbs of the stuff to tide me over between now and my departure to Paris at the end of May.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #10,279 of 14,566
Yes of course.
I think the Fellow Stagg kettles in Europe are only available as stovetop models, not with the temp controls. BUT if you search Amazon.co.uk, there are any number of 220V electric gooseneck kettles with temp controls. I use a Krups model here in the States - and I can't imagine that they don't make a 220V version...

Apr 24, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #10,281 of 14,566
Apr 25, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #10,283 of 14,566
lol, 3 parts naked brand mango juice and maybe 1 part kirkland signature SIGNATURE gin

Thanks....
Searching for "mango gin" came up with some delightful-sounding recipes (mango and black pepper G&T? yes please!)

Mango and Black Pepper G&T is now on my list to try!

I wonder now also about a Mango Juice and Whitley/Neill Raspberry gin combo.... hmmmm

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #10,284 of 14,566
Rhubarb whisky sour is another good one - 2 parts whisky, 1 part rhubarb simple syrup, 1 part lemon or lime juice, with a lemon or lime twist. We've got a great rhubarb plant at the Landhaus in Venice (technically at a community garden in Mar Vista) and I grab 10 lbs of rhubarb when I'm down there, chop it up, boil it with a bunch of sugar, strain it, jar it, and bring it back to my freezer here in the bay. It keeps indefinitely.

Apr 25, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #10,285 of 14,566
Sounds like we need a Schiit drink menu thread to track all these.

Apr 25, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #10,286 of 14,566
I'd love to bartend at the Schiitr. There are no finer people than the many Schiitheads and Schiitmeisters-in-Chief, @Baldr and @Jason Stoddard.

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #10,287 of 14,566
Apr 25, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #10,290 of 14,566
Rhubarb whisky sour is another good one - 2 parts whisky, 1 part rhubarb simple syrup, 1 part lemon or lime juice, with a lemon or lime twist. We've got a great rhubarb plant at the Landhaus in Venice (technically at a community garden in Mar Vista) and I grab 10 lbs of rhubarb when I'm down there, chop it up, boil it with a bunch of sugar, strain it, jar it, and bring it back to my freezer here in the bay. It keeps indefinitely.
You fly to Venice for 10 lbs of rhubarb?..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back