What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 12, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #10,234 of 14,566
upload_2019-4-12_22-38-31.png

Apr 13, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #10,236 of 14,566
I just came off another listening session with HE-1. I continue to believe it's the only good-sounding DAC that Sennheiser makes. HDVD800 and its successor, I continue to believe, do worse than simple mediocrity. My AirPods sound mediocre. They play music; I can hear what's being played. Sennheiser's DAC/amp causes me pain. I wince. I recoil. I cringe. It hurts to listen. HD650 is syrupy enough to smooth over some of the astringent harshness, but every other model (HD800, HD800S, HD660) suffers from extraordinarily poor sound quality due to Sennheiser's deep misunderstanding of what good digital to analog conversion sounds like.

HE-1 is a technically perfect headphone. It walks an important line between transparency and just the mildest touch of euphony necessary to allow old/bad recordings to present themselves in a more rather than less flattering light. The lows go straight down into infinity, and detract in no way from the effortless, pure highs. Agitata da due venti was extraordinary. The best I can do is to say that most headphones do diegesis - they tell you what the music sounded like when it was recorded. HE-1 does mimesis - it embodies that performance itself.

I will never afford it, but I hope to perhaps get the old HE-60, the baby orpheus, and hook up one of the mjolnir audio amps. On the other hand, maybe I just want MySphere, and perhaps a sumptuous LCD-4(z) to round out my collection with delicious warm smoothness.

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #10,237 of 14,566
I just came off another listening session with HE-1. I continue to believe it's the only good-sounding DAC that Sennheiser makes.
I guess that at that price they can afford enough upstream and downstream circuitry to disguise the otherwise unpleasant ESS SABRE DAC sound, but I'm convinced you could do as well or better for much less. I have a couple of items on order to expand my collection, when they are here and burned in sometime next month, I'd be happy to give you an audition of various options if you are willing to hop on Caltrain to Palo Alto...

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #10,238 of 14,566
Best do it after I return from the European tour in late July. But thanks! That sounds awesome.

The climax of the Kleiber studio Tristan prelude was overwhelmingly wonderful. I don't think I've ever heard it better. I'll listen to KSE1500 when I get back to the weekday pad but I can't overstate my positive reaction. Would like to hear out of Yggy and maybe LCD-4

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #10,243 of 14,566
Bonus points for the person who can find me the longest Parsifal overture...there's gotta be one over 20 mins!

Check out dat vibrato!

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #10,244 of 14,566
BONUS POINTS!!!

Same concept as The White Album...

Except more mind-numbing :wink:

Apr 17, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #10,245 of 14,566
Best do it after I return from the European tour in late July. But thanks! That sounds awesome.

The climax of the Kleiber studio Tristan prelude was overwhelmingly wonderful. I don't think I've ever heard it better. I'll listen to KSE1500 when I get back to the weekday pad but I can't overstate my positive reaction. Would like to hear out of Yggy and maybe LCD-4

Given that you seem to like classical music, you should consider checking out the Musikverein in Vienna if you haven’t already been. To my ear, that space projects a buttery dynamism that I haven’t heard else where. Friends from Vienna say that people think that space sounds good because the walls are just “hollow enough”. The Opera house is quite good too. The last time I was there I got a 50% ticket for 2nd row Orchestra for the ballet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back