What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #9,451 of 14,565
Ugh. I want an iMac with an i9, True Tone, and Face ID! Sometimes being a decades-long apple customer feels like an abusive relationship.
"You can't always get what you want..." :wink:

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #9,452 of 14,565
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need... :wink:

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #9,453 of 14,565
Ugh. I want an iMac with an i9, True Tone, and Face ID! Sometimes being a decades-long apple customer feels like an abusive relationship.
I've owned Macs since 1985. I used to be like that, but I took control in the dark period just before OS X, and since then I've only kept getting Macs because they were (and maybe still are) the least-hassle *nix command line for laptops (no, don't try to convince me to run Linux on a laptop, it works until it doesn't, especially in regards to power management). I only buy a new Mac when the previous one breaks. I used an early 2000s Macbook until around 2010, an Air from then to 2015 (which is now my wife's), and a 2015 13in Pro since then. It will do its duty until it falls apart, which I hope is not soon, as it it's been humming along just fine.

I keep buying (and selling...) audio gear because it's fun to try new ways of listening to my music collection. Switching my computer is more like getting a dental implant -- in cost and pain.

I own an iPad only becaust it is the best way for me to read lots of technical stuff on the go, given that the Android table market imploded. I loved the original iPod. I despised iPhone for being an exclusive with hated AT&T to start with, and for the last few years, the Android native UI has been way more natural to me than that iOS.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #9,454 of 14,565
Let me say first off that I am not a huge apple fan. I have owned a few apple products, but not any Macs. I am not a fanboy.

That being said, Macs are very good premium computers. It used to be that if you looked at the specs they generally were using business class or grade products. They used the higher grade processors. They have the advantage of knowing the configurations and being able to taylor the OS to that specific hardware. Its a limited combination in comparison to the variety in a windows machine. This is a good thing in terms of longevity, OS speed.

BUT .. you pay for this and they own you.
Its like living where there is a homeowners association. They own you, are you ok with it?

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #9,455 of 14,565
the HOA rules become more stringent every year, the fees are hiked, but the amenities are the best in the neighborhood

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #9,456 of 14,565
I switched to Apple computer because, after being a Windoz user (at home) forever, my $2,500 Dell XPS died after two years.
I got pissed at Microsoft! Vowed to never be constrained again by their lackey software and the crappy computer performance.

So ... I bought a Macbook Pro. Learned iOS ... that is easy, BTW.
Since then (2014) I have come to love iOS and my computer. Never going back. Just my experience, friends. :)

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #9,457 of 14,565
I sold my 2012 Macbook Pro to my little sister back in the day and built a custom PC at home. Still own an iPad and will get the new iPad Mini when it releases next year, but other than that I have no wish to use more Apple devices.
At work I use a Lenovo Thinkpad, and aside from amazing displays, design and trackpad, I don't think Apple does anything better with their laptops.

Nov 1, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #9,458 of 14,565
Had an Apple II in 1978/79. It had whole 48k of memory. It was an Amazing machine for its day.

Have not had another Apple product since...

:)

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #9,459 of 14,565
My take on this polarized dichotomy (apple - pc - unix etc.) is it should be based upon your needs.
Select the s/w and h/w that best fits the bill for you and your needs.

And as a general rule I see pc's (with any flavor of OS) are for those that like to fuss with the innerds and optimize things and get into fine tuning the operation of the pc.
Macs are more of an appliance, where you just use it and don't have to devote the mental resources towards playing with the innerds.
And it's not like you can't on a Mac, but you really don't have to.

And at least for what I do, the Mac is easier and less cumbersome, lots of the time.
Other times it’s a computer just like any other and they all have computer issues from time to time.

And knowing what I know about MS (I live in Seattle and know MS employees, both past and present), I really don't want to have much to do with them.
At least the Mac started out with more forward thinking, instead of taking every advantage of every possibility that they could, as MS did.

And if you know how to shop for a Mac, just like a pc etc, there are deals and ways to spend less and get more…

JJ

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #9,460 of 14,565
Yep, Windoz is no bargain either. Buggy as a Florida highway at night in June but at least I can work around some of the issues I've had over the years.

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #9,462 of 14,565
A little birdie tells me that the iMacs were supposed to be released, but for a graphics snafu (and general acrimony between Intel and Apple). I will keep my 2009 iMac alive indefinitely, albeit with distaste for the size and resolution of its 20" display.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #9,463 of 14,565
A little birdie tells me that the iMacs were supposed to be released, but for a graphics snafu (and general acrimony between Intel and Apple). I will keep my 2009 iMac alive indefinitely, albeit with distaste for the size and resolution of its 20" display.

Wow ... 20" display. That's huge. The new retina displays are very nice, BTW. Great resolution.

Nov 2, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #9,464 of 14,565
Nov 2, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #9,465 of 14,565
Wow ... 20" display. That's huge. The new retina displays are very nice, BTW. Great resolution.

That's what she ...

Nah. That's too easy. :smirk:

S4k0oCF.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back