What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 26, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #8,536 of 14,566
"Ignore" works for trolls, those who dominate threads for their own purposes, those with unpleasant attitude, and those whose panties are easily tied into knots. I am certain I am on some ignore lists, and that is just fine. :)

You're not on mine!

OK coffee aficionados. I've eschewed serious coffee at home for convenience and now I'm thinking about dipping my toe back in with an inexpensive pour-over. I've tried to cull the recommendations in previous posts and have put together a list of items that are now on my Amazon list. If you coffee gurus could vet the items before I pull the trigger, it would be most appreciated. I've included pricing so you can make any 'in-the-ballpark' suggestions.

Kettle:
  • Cusimax 4-Cup Electric Gooseneck Kettle - Precise Temperature Control Water Kettle for Drip Coffee and Tea - Automatic Shutoff and Keep Warm Function - Stainless Steel, CMCK-100E, 1L ($56) Although I have previously recommended OXO, today I was in BEN RAHIM in Berlin, and the Barista there told me he preferred the Bonavita Gooseneck kettle (which I own!). He said the spout's pouring action was more precise, even though the design of the body and handle (the part that doesn't matter) was less "luxurious." It's maybe $10 more, but I'd go for it.
Dripper:
  • Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper, Size 02, White ($17) Although Blue Bottle says very nice things about Hario, their own custom dripper is $8 more and is so fabulous I'm considering getting a second (for work) and a third (for the weekend pad and traveling). Get it. https://bluebottlecoffee.com/store/blue-bottle-coffee-dripper

Filters:

Grinder:

• Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill ($51) My current grinder—the Breville smart grinder pro—is a good entry grinder, and more convenient for portafilters than the Baratza encore (which I recommend aware of @Ableza's misfortunes therewith). The grinder *determines* the coffee you can make: this is the part of the budget that I would stretch if at all possible—the more even the grind, the better you will be able to adjust other elements. If the grind is variable, some coffee particles will always be under-extracted, and some always over, no matter your temperature, water quality, timing, quantity, tamp pressure.

Thanks and do let me know if I've overlooked any essential items.

Items you MUST buy:

(1) a gram scale (ideally a tenth of a gram scale). Acaia is the industry standard, but would not make sense given your budget. For $20 you can find solid ones on Amazon. If you don't use the metric system, start doing so with coffee. 20 grams of coffee to 300g of water is a good ratio to start with on pour overs. The g/ml conversion is just too good to give up. If you don't weigh your ingredients, you will never be able to replicate the recipe you like, and you absolutely must vary it until you find your sweet spot. Put a cup on your gram scale, tare the scale, pour in beans till you get 20g, put them in the grinder, grind them, put them in your filter in your dripper on your mug on the scale, tare the scale again, slowly pour the water until you have between 1-2x the weight of the coffee in water, let it "bloom" for about 30s, keep going until you get to 300g.

(2) thermometer. Yes, the electric kettle says you're at 205° (I like starting pour overs there—for medium roasts go down to 200°; for dark roasts, down further still (and consider your life choices). But that temperature changes quickly, and if you're going to learn what temperature is right for you, you have to know what the water temperature curve looks like 10s into brewing, 20s into brewing, a minute into brewing. I inherited mine from my grandfather. Any thermometer with a dial is good; blue bottle uses super precise thermo-couples.

No hard water here, just a little bit of a smell issue in the summer when lakes turn. Not a big fan of tap water and the fridge water seems OK. The wife and I are going to be re-doing the kitchen and taking up more cooking, so a good under sink filtration system is definitely in the future, but for now I think using HQ fridge filters and changing them a bit more often may be the way to go. Good quality water is underrated. To some degree this is built into your location (we have delicious Hetch Hetchy water in SF) but for me, some kind of filtration is a given.

Yeah -- Beans and roasting is a whole other discussion that I'll take up once the associated brewing gear is situated. If you care to recommend, we like a bright and mild blend in the mornings and I prefer a strong rich, but smooth blend during the day and evenings -- bordering on espresso but smooth.

Thanks!!

I'm not sure what that last bit means. In coffee, "bright" means "light roast." By "rich," I assume you mean darker roast. Espresso though has nothing to do with roast; it's a brewing method. Of course some roasts (especially the acidic ones) do better in a pour over and would pucker your lips at 10x the concentration. Others are more balanced and suited to the espresso process. (One thing I learned in Amsterdam: espressi simply lack the ability to differentiate all the subtle notes in a coffee that you can taste in pour overs. It's like asking about instrument placement using a headphone with 10x the soundstage width or depth of another. They offer unparalleled intensity, but win you over by the overwhelming profusion of component parts, not by delicacy of individual notes. If a pour over is the well-tempered clavier, an espresso is the Symphony of a Thousand.) If you want a full-bodied taste, you might try a french press. It may give you the mouthfeel you want.

An integrated temperature control is much better than dealing with a thermometer, and thIs type of kettle heats up water much faster than either stovetop or cheap electric kettles. The gooseneck is good for pour over.

As for French press, that's fine if you like that style of coffee (too muddy for me).

One is not better than the other. They are both necessary, basic components of a "coffee industrial complex."

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #8,537 of 14,566
^^^ Lots to digest. I've copied this and other helpful posts into a Word document for review. Thanks, Bosie!!

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #8,538 of 14,566
^^^ Lots to digest. I've copied this and other helpful posts into a Word document for review. Thanks, Bosie!!

Best advice I received upon first heading down the coffee/espresso slope still stands: spend all your money at first on the best grinder you can afford, and work on the other tools later. A great grinder (hand or electric) will ensure you have the most consistent particle size in your grind regardless of the extraction or brewing method. In my experience, this had an impact in the cup from espresso to moka pot to press pot, even to every day drip machines. I brew with various methods depending on location and company (travel = aero press; lots of guests = a big Bodum press pot; at home with wife = espresso machine), and I always seem to come back to grind quality as the differentiator, not the extraction method. I have a nice handheld conical travel grinder that does a nice job, but the cup is *always* better when I'm using my big Compak at home because it produces a more consistent and uniform grind from Turkish to French Press coarse. The other variables are all important--water quality, temp, brew/extraction time, etc--but for me getting the grinder right made everything better.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #8,539 of 14,566
I would highly recommend you consider an Aeropress. They last forever, make great coffee and when the rubber plunger wears out they will mail you a new one for about $6 if you call them and ask. I recommend the inverted method, and a little trial and error with grind, temp (lower than you would expect) and time you will get a perfect cup. I alternate between an Aeropress and a Clever Dripper (much easier and more consistent than a conventional pourover) depending on how big a cup I want. I can make a full Amercian size mug (16 oz) with the Clever, 6 to 8 oz max with the Aeropress. My wife prefers unfiltered (at least no paper filter) so for her I use a Cafflano Compact. Similar in idea to an Aerporess, but packs up smaller for travelling, and comes with a laser drilled metal filter.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #8,540 of 14,566
The Aeropress is rather intriguing. It is on my Amazon list, as well (although not in my post) and I will likely get one along with a pour-over dripper for additional flexibility. I'll have to look into what 'the inverted method' is, although I cringe at what a Google search will find. :wink:

Thanks!!

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #8,542 of 14,566
^^^ Thanks. I did find a few and some even covered the inverted method.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #8,543 of 14,566
My favorite for brewing at home is Aeropress (I use inverted method), and I like it more than pourover or other drip filters, or French press. However this is just my personal preference for the texture, strength, and character of the brew. The thing is, this isn't audio and it doesn't cost much to go ahead and buy all of these brew methods, to see if there's one you prefer.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #8,544 of 14,566
I had a great time at a number of cultural events in Amsterdam, though the entire time I was adjusting to the time. First and most importantly, I saw the Concertgebouw, perhaps the greatest orchestra in the world. The maestro, Daniele Gatti, is an extraordinary master of tempi, dynamics, and phrasing, though for all that, I found his performance of Beethoven’s second symphony to be marked by restraint with the significant caveat that at the end of the first movement, he added a glaring accelerando that I have never heard in any other performance or recording. Other than that, he gave the distinct impression of being able to force the players to read his mind. Despite being quite short, he often barely moved at all—though, given the amount of rehearsals I expect they had, this is to be expected. Players in any professional orchestra should be able to play loud when they see a “forte” on the page, whether or not the man in the front jumps up and down waving his stick with great energy.

The Wagner was harder for me to enjoy. The playing itself was magnificent—other than a couple of brass squeaks. Brass instruments are exceedingly difficult to play, however, and I was spoiled coming of age with the Chicago Symphony as a weekly indulgence. Its brass—and Berlin’s—exceed every other by a wide margin, including, apparently, Amsterdam. The problem was the programming. Now, most people are not the Wagner nut that I am. Fine. The problem that I found, now that I am familiar with the Ring (having just seen it twice), is that the music is so closely associated with the drama that it is jarring to hear it decontextualized, without words and stage action. It is, however, physically painful to hear Donner conjure the rainbow bridge, and then the record skip ahead a few grooves to the god’s entrance to valhalla without transition. The cut from forest murmurs in Siegfried to the end of the act was equally difficult to stomach. Most hilarious, though, was the fact that Gatti waved the audience quiet after the march into Valhalla. It’s the end of the opera! Wagner meant the audience to clap after it! But no, it wasn’t the end of his collection of excerpts, so the audience must receive it silently. Ditto Act 2 of Siegfried. I was mystified and unsettled by being jerked through the ring, and would prefer that it be excerpted in long, untouched excerpts. Say, Walkure from Ein Schwert to the end of the act, Wotan’s farewell, the forging scene, Siegmund Sieh auf mich to the end of the act, that Rheingold excerpt just mentioned.

Saturday I saw a ballet performance showcase that let young choreographers loose on their fellow company dancers. It was good, though I didn’t really pay attention to the girls. That night, I saw Tristan + Isolde, a 2015 ballet score that tells the same story, though beginning earlier: at Marke’s speech to his court that they should invade Ireland and kidnap Isolde for him. The massacre in Ireland was, though highly abstracted and stylized, incommunicably sad to watch (perhaps more so than the final death scene). The first act displayed economy; the second act was padded by an overlong wedding scene (we get it, she marries Marke) and a weird and unnecessary scene with soldiers kind of just doing their thing. The ending carried a punch though. Everybody was quite talented.

Hoffman, on Sunday, had a large “dollhouse” structure with different “rooms” for the action to take place in. The conceit of the opera is that Hoffmann relives various loves that he has had—Olympia, Antonia, and Giulietta—and he ends the opera realizing that they are not separate loves but three elements of the same love. It is a bit mysterious, and the soprano that plays his friend in the present is implied to be the woman he desires. The production was whimsical: the storytelling frame was quite contemporary; the large central room in the dollhouse set Hoffmann’s current apartment in Kreuzberg or Williamsburg or some such artistic neighborhood. Olympia’s manufacturer gave the impression of being from nineteenth-century London, as did Antonia’s father. The third act, likewise, was in some urban underbelly of a hundred odd years ago. I’m comfortable calling it the best French opera I’ve seen—because it has a text that treats love with skepticism, rather than as a panacea ala the Italians (e.g., the relationship is working! We’re so happy! / The relationship isn’t working. We’re very sad.) I haven’t seen the Debussy opera yet, but I think that’s one of the few as interesting—before you get into the twentieth century too far with the likes of Messiaen.

The next event was Monday’s trio of ballets by the Staatsballett. Doda, Goecke, and Duato were the three choreographers, and only Goecke used a piece in the repertoire—Pierrot Lunaire. The first two acts were extremely experimental. The action threw out all the conventional vocabulary of ballet and exchanged it for movements that barely seemed human. Writing, jerking, twitching, and other highly precise, synchronized movement evoked undersea creatures or insects more than human beings. I wasn’t sure what it meant, but it was haunting and deeply weird. In any case, it blew the dust off my experience of ballet and gave me a perspective on what technically advanced dancers are capable of with a sufficiently imaginative choreographer. The third act used what sounded like seventeenth century Spanish instrumental music, and was basically traditional, though extremely engaging despite that. It was broken up into movements several minutes long, and each act ran about 40 minutes in total.

Last night I saw the War Requiem at the recently renovated Staatsoper—the most famous, though smallest, of the three opera houses in Berlin (the others are the Komische Oper, where I saw the ballet, and the Deutsche Oper, where I will see Il Viaggio a Reims on Saturday). I didn’t really get the piece, but my god, the acoustics are black magic. The tenor (Ian Bostridge) has a light, supple voice that is rather attractive. I sat on the second balcony, far right. Despite that, the sound was apparently caressed so lovingly that it came at me from all sides, and even though I could see him very much to my left, was enveloped by his voice to a shocking, even disorienting degree. Though the views from many of the seats are abysmal (I couldn’t see half the stage), the acoustic was the best I had ever heard. The Concertgebouw, a much larger hall, has a long, broad reverberation, but the Staatsoper has a quickness a management of the sound that makes it a joy to be in.

I will be at the Apollosaal tonight for a lied concert. Die Nase tomorrow!

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #8,546 of 14,566
Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC

$349.99

3 DAYS LEFT
SHIPS TO DE
1 YEAR
259 SOLD

A Game-Changing DAC With Discrete R-2R Tech

Featuring discrete resistor ladder technology at an unheard-of price, the Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC is one of our most requested and anticipated products this year: a DAC with the looks and quality to match our new lineup of amps. An older technology that’s been making a comeback, R-2R is known to produce rich, warm, natural sound and can have benefits in spatial awareness and staging. But because this type of design requires expensive high-precision matched resistors (and a lot of them), for a long time, well-implemented R-2R DACs could only be found in $5,000-plus products. More than 2 years in the making, this sign-magnitude DAC has two independent 24-bit ladders with 48 resistors apiece per each of the two channels, which cancel out errors and distortion for purer processing. It has a short, solid form factor and is designed to pair well with the Cavalli Tube Hybrid, Liquid Carbon X, and THX AAA™ 789.

- -

So it’s $100 more than mimby, made overseas, they’re only making 980 of them, and they don’t ship for another year? Not sure what game is “changed.” Oh right. 24 “bit.”

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #8,547 of 14,566
^^^

I think crowdfunding for audio is tricky.
I delayed getting into "personal audio" much for 4 years after waiting for my LH Labs products to be produced.
Trying to send back to sets of Revol IEMs that aren't working.

I'd rather pay more and have some reviews available and the chance to send it back.

It is interesting in the increased interest in R-2R DACs. Even if not better or "game changing" hopefully it involves more critical thinking beyond just higher numbers (16 -> 24 -> 32).

Mike

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #8,548 of 14,566
Funny, I thought R2R was "Obsolete"? :wink:

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #8,550 of 14,566
^^^

It's obsolete only in the Yggy. All other R2R's are new tech!! :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back