What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jun 26, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #8,522 of 14,566
You're making a false assumption about my "origins" despite me actually stating my origins in the first paragraph. As far as I'm aware the post I'm quoting is the extent to which Amir's concerns or criticisms have been addressed by Schiit, and given his background and continued persistence I'm not completely sure he has been thoroughly embarrassed by others. I really disliked reading the guy handled like that, while claiming the high ground too. All I am is a consumer, who mind you is still with Schiit, but as I have run into a problem and done a little more reading I have more concerns. It's only intellectually honest and mature to refute Amir's arguments or if it so happens let him help a little bit. Going after him personally like that is unbecoming and is not at all what a no-nonsense guy would do. What I was quoting was sheer nonsense and not constructive at all.

For better or for worse this person has emerged as the main detractor of Schiit. This is more of an opportunity than anything else, to either further establish the brand or improve it. Unless I guess it's looked upon as relatively inconsequential internet squabbling. Manufacturer's prerogative.

Perhaps, with a moderator's help rutter could have his name changed to "gutter".

Or, perhaps he needs a cat to pet and keep him calm........:ksc75smile:

giphy.gif

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #8,523 of 14,566
OK coffee aficionados. I've eschewed serious coffee at home for convenience and now I'm thinking about dipping my toe back in with an inexpensive pour-over. I've tried to cull the recommendations in previous posts and have put together a list of items that are now on my Amazon list. If you coffee gurus could vet the items before I pull the trigger, it would be most appreciated. I've included pricing so you can make any 'in-the-ballpark' suggestions.

Kettle:
  • Cusimax 4-Cup Electric Gooseneck Kettle - Precise Temperature Control Water Kettle for Drip Coffee and Tea - Automatic Shutoff and Keep Warm Function - Stainless Steel, CMCK-100E, 1L ($56)
Dripper:
  • Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper, Size 02, White ($17)

Filters:

• Hario V60 Paper Coffee Filters, Size 02, 100 count, natural ($6)

Grinder:

• Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill ($51)

Thanks and do let me know if I've overlooked any essential items.

A manual hand grinder that I like and use.
https://handground.com/grind/best-manual-coffee-grinder-a-quest-by-thousands-of-coffee-enthusiasts

JJ

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #8,524 of 14,566
Interesting. I hadn't considered a hand grinder. This looks to be quite a good one and at a reasonable price. Added to my list.

Thanks!!

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #8,525 of 14,566
OK coffee aficionados. I've eschewed serious coffee at home for convenience and now I'm thinking about dipping my toe back in with an inexpensive pour-over. I've tried to cull the recommendations in previous posts and have put together a list of items that are now on my Amazon list. If you coffee gurus could vet the items before I pull the trigger, it would be most appreciated. I've included pricing so you can make any 'in-the-ballpark' suggestions.

Kettle:
  • Cusimax 4-Cup Electric Gooseneck Kettle - Precise Temperature Control Water Kettle for Drip Coffee and Tea - Automatic Shutoff and Keep Warm Function - Stainless Steel, CMCK-100E, 1L ($56)
Dripper:
  • Hario V60 Ceramic Coffee Dripper, Size 02, White ($17)

Filters:

• Hario V60 Paper Coffee Filters, Size 02, 100 count, natural ($6)

Grinder:

• Cuisinart Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill ($51)

Thanks and do let me know if I've overlooked any essential items.

I think that you are spending too much on the kettle. You have pots and a stove don't you?

Also, skip the dripper and go with a french press. They are cheap at Marshall's (I am frugal, but NOT cheap)

I like the grinder that JJ recommended. I am getting one myself.

If your water changes taste in the summer, sounds like you have well water. Definitely get a filtration system. You don't want to end up with this:
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/strongyloides/gen_info/faqs.html

Spend the real money on the beans

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #8,527 of 14,566
Excellent point and something I completely overlooked. I have a refrigerator water dispenser that has a filtering system, but I think an under sink system would definitely be the way to go. What are thoughts regarding using the fridge filtered water or even bottled water in the interim?

Being on the cheap side, I've been using a Brita pitcher for 10+ years now and it works well in the apartment with me, myself, and I. Might be worth considering if you don't want to spend for an under-the-counter variety. Just a thought.

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #8,528 of 14,566
I think that you are spending too much on the kettle. You have pots and a stove don't you?

Also, skip the dripper and go with a french press. They are cheap at Marshall's (I am frugal, but NOT cheap)

I like the grinder that JJ recommended. I am getting one myself.

If your water changes taste in the summer, sounds like you have well water. Definitely get a filtration system. You don't want to end up with this:
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/strongyloides/gen_info/faqs.html

Spend the real money on the beans

The kettle was a bit higher priced than I envisioned, but several highly regarded coffee buffs here have really made it a point that water temp is key to brewing a good cup of coffee. Given that, I sought out what I thought was a reasonably priced kettle that offers temp controls. I really struggled with a kettle being more than a grinder -- After-all, it just heats water, for Pete's sake!!

As for a press vs dripper, I was considering the Aeropress. The thing that may turn me off about a traditional French Press, is coffee grunds in the coffee. I've read reports that this can be an issue. I don't think it is that way with Aeropress, however.

We do not have well water. Our city's water is drawn for several Dallas, TX area lakes and in the summer the lake water turns due to heating and convection so it develops a bit of a smell. The municipal water department sends out a notice every year stating that despite the funky smell, the water is safe to drink. (Or is it?)

I'm on my second thrift-store GE electric kettle (in the course of twenty years). They were both $4 each. :ksc75smile:

You sir, are a frugal person.

Being on the cheap side, I've been using a Brita pitcher for 10+ years now and it works well in the apartment with me, myself, and I. Might be worth considering if you don't want to spend for an under-the-counter variety. Just a thought.

Another great idea that I failed to consider.

Thanks, all!!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #8,529 of 14,566
Quote:
The kettle was a bit higher priced than I envisioned, but several highly regarded coffee buffs here have really made it a point that water temp is key to brewing a good cup of coffee. Given that, I sought out what I thought was a reasonablypriced kettle that offers temp controls

Unless you are boiling water in Death Valley or Central Australia, this is a non issue.

Step 1: Boil water.
Step 2: Stop boiling water.
Step 3: Pour water from a height of 8-10 inches The water will cool perfectly.

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #8,530 of 14,566
Step 1: Boil water.
Step 2: Stop boiling water.
Step 3: Pour water from a height of 8-10 inches The water will cool perfectly.
I recommend practicing this technique with cold water first to avoid accidents... :)

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #8,531 of 14,566

An integrated temperature control is much better than dealing with a thermometer, and thIs type of kettle heats up water much faster than either stovetop or cheap electric kettles. The gooseneck is good for pour over.

As for French press, that's fine if you like that style of coffee (too muddy for me).

We're talking about very modest costs. $56??? In the audio world, that's practically FREE.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #8,532 of 14,566
An integrated temperature control is much better than dealing with a thermometer, and thIs type of kettle heats up water much faster than either stovetop or cheap electric kettles. The gooseneck is good for pour over.

As for French press, that's fine if you like that style of coffee (too muddy for me).

We're talking about very modest costs. $56??? In the audio world, that's practically FREE.

I admit that $56 in the audio world is practically free but I am frugal (OK, cheap). $56 could have bought a B stock magni with shipping!

I happen to like the suspended particulates in french press. It is the chocolaty goodness of the coffee. It gives it texture.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #8,534 of 14,566
I do a press pot, most often. I bring the water to a boil, unplug the kettle, and pour "just off boil," as they say.
That's likely too hot for ideal extraction, but this is about how fastidious you want to be — when it becomes not just a beverage and turns into something more like a hobby. Like casually listening to music vs getting into audio.

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #8,535 of 14,566
I use a Sunbeam Hotshot to heat the water I use for an AeroPress. According to my digital thermometer, it gets it to 175° F, which is what Aerobie themselves recommend as the ideal temp.

I have tried French Press coffee (I think I still have a Bodum somewhere.) and I much prefer AeroPress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back