What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 17, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #7,937 of 14,566
So you're saying it's possible then. Woohoo!!!!

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #7,938 of 14,566
Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #7,940 of 14,566
What're the prospects for getting a blu ray disc to play on an iMac via an external drive? Should I just get the cd only set and call it a day?

You can use makemkv to either make a backup ISO or rip selected tracks into a mkv file, which VLC will play. If you turn it into an mkv then you can even edit it more.

{edit}
If you mean to play the actual BD on your Mac then an external drive works. You need to buy/find software to do the actual playing. My daughter had one that worked and came with the software. VLC might even play it.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #7,941 of 14,566
JmarcusG,
Sweet setup.

Out of curiosity, why the USB hub instead of connecting to the Raspberry itself?

I’m a noob, so forgive me if this a stupid question.

Thanks,

Ron

Two reasons primarily.
1) You will notice I have a WiFi dongle attached to the hub. Even though the RPi 3 B & B+ had integrated WiFi I found the connection unreliable within the metal confines of the HiRise. I use WiFi for controlling MoOde and transferring music files from my main library.
2) The RPi should theoretically have enough power to handle a direct attached HDD but I found that I had less instances of skips, pauses and other glitches when using the powered hub. Many others have reported no issues.

IMHO, when it comes to this stuff there is no such thing as a stupid question.

May 19, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #7,943 of 14,566
I only have about 2,500 CD's, mostly classical, and even ripping that few would be a chore to me.

That's a great set, classic Bernie, I especially like #2 and #7. But I have most of his later DG stuff as well.

For whatever reason I got the bug of collecting the second cycle (DG), HAMBURG DGs only! - I know, no defensible rationale other than it is fun and it satisfies the good old OCD. I will resort to the common cliche regarding Lennie's cycles - the first one is urgent, more vital - the second carries both the wisdom and the stubbornness of older years (boy soprano on the 4th, COME ON LENNIE???!!! What the fack were you thinking????!!!) :D - plus better sound and better playing... Hard to pick...

Although lately I have been getting into underrated and or more obscure cycles - current poisons are Bertini's (very underrated) Neumann (same) and Segerstam (so weird is great)...

v

May 19, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #7,944 of 14,566
And it's not just that the metadata is crap, it's "what system are you using to FIND your music" and "how do you tag it" in order to locate your music in a semi-logical manner. Classical is the albatross of my digital collection - I've gone through two methods of tagging, not sure yet if a third might be the charm. But at the moment, I'm running through squeezebox server, so my tags are different based on how that code can search/display my files.

I know, crying in my (Ellie's brown, CO) beer (naturally, with a cat in my lap and a glass of barolo in hand). Cheers!
Cheers - Indeed, the only solution was to come up with a personal system, which works well but it is very time consuming... which is fine for when files are bought... not for 6000+ recordings...

Cheers!
v

May 19, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #7,945 of 14,566
How do you guys reorder, skip tracks and make playlists with your favorite tracks on a CD transport? Another disadvantage of it is that you are stuck with whatever is on a single CD until you change it. I know, skipping tracks and playing them out of order is possible but cumbersome and takes time. Maybe skip a single CD player and go with a CD changer at once?

Errr... dude - we are classical fans - no ADD playlist skipping millennials here... I am not stuck - I am listening to a recording as an integral piece of art, sequence being part of the structure. No skipping, again no playlists - so far I don't know of anyone that skips the middle movements of Beethoven's String Quartet No. 14...

:D

v

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #7,946 of 14,566
Probably won't like the Nu Metal playlist I am listening to on Spotify at the moment then :sweat_smile:

May 19, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #7,947 of 14,566
For whatever reason I got the bug of collecting the second cycle (DG), HAMBURG DGs only! - I know, no defensible rationale other than it is fun and it satisfies the good old OCD. I will resort to the common cliche regarding Lennie's cycles - the first one is urgent, more vital - the second carries both the wisdom and the stubbornness of older years (boy soprano on the 4th, COME ON LENNIE???!!! What the fack were you thinking????!!!) :D - plus better sound and better playing... Hard to pick...

Although lately I have been getting into underrated and or more obscure cycles - current poisons are Bertini's (very underrated) Neumann (same) and Segerstam (so weird is great)...

v

The only complete sets I have are that "Carnegie Hall Presents" set of Bernie's first thoughts, the Tilson-Thomas, the Gielen, and the Boulez. The rest are partial, or almost complete when possible, sets from just about every conductor that did a Mahler recording. I'm also partial to Klemperer and Abbado and some of Rattle's, Haitinks 3rd, Solti's and Barbirolli's 5ths, VK's 9's. And Tennstedt, how can I forget him. I wish I sometimes wish Barshai had done more Mahler recordings.No one conductor ever got them all right to my satisfaction. But Bernie's boy soprano 4th was an epic fail. I heard it on a radio broadcast (I think) at some point and all I could think of was Dennis the Menace. I still like the simplicity of Judith Raskin with Szell on that old CBS recording for the 4th.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #7,948 of 14,566
Errr... dude - we are classical fans - no ADD playlist skipping millennials here...
"We are"? Dude, I am here too. I am not a millennial and I rarely listen to classical music.
And before anyone claims it again - it's not "your" lawn. It's Mike's lawn. I'll leave only when he tells me so. As a product manager he probably wants to hear all kinds of opinions from potential customers. Not only from people who call themselves "we are". Sounds almost like "we are Borg and you will be assimilated".

May 19, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #7,949 of 14,566
"We are"? Dude, I am here too. I am not a millennial and I rarely listen to classical music.
And before anyone claims it again - it's not "your" lawn. It's Mike's lawn. I'll leave only when he tells me so. As a product manager he probably wants to hear all kinds of opinions from potential customers. Not only from people who call themselves "we are". Sounds almost like "we are Borg and you will be assimilated".
Nah, it's more like "chill out." I'm not a classical fan as much as I'm a rock fan. When I want to listen to random songs or playlists, I listen to my music server. When I want to listen to an album, I use my CD transport. It's fairly simple, really: do what works for you, and don't judge others. And if you can't do that then get the screw off the lawn. :)

May 19, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #7,950 of 14,566
I made the original comment with tongue planted firmly in cheek. I don't think that anyone here is unwelcoming or meant to be unwelcoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back