What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 9, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #751 of 14,566
Regarding the electrical noise thing, I get the concept and have dealt with this issue in the past but don't currently have those issues to any discernible degree in my systems. Even so, I've given thought to buying a Wyrd to see if it could make an audible difference; for $100, why not? Hmmm, maybe some Nordost cables would help as well?! 
wink.gif

There are good reasons why a Wyrd would help, and some even suggest to put two Wyrds in the data path (but not more). This said, I for one would ditch USB on principle: people can spend outrageous amounts just to "fix" USB and get performance similar to other transports, whereas e.g. optical (with a high-quality glass cable like Lifatec) won't suffer from electrical noise at all. So anything from a USB -> SPDIF converter to a RPi + Digi+ or even streamers like a Sonicorbiter SE or Aries Mini would likely do better than a generic computer with USB out. In particular RPi + Digi+ is a very low-cost solution to experiment with, if you've got the time to figure it out and set-up.

While many sceptics will heartily argue that source can't matter (unless something egregious is going on), there are engineers around head-fi who will disagree, for instance:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/3675#post_12606468

Regarding timing/jitter errors, isn't this what 'Asynchronous' is supposed to fix -- assuming, of course it's well implemented?

Now on Error Correction...this actually sounds like there could be differences that might be discernible. That said, it should also be easily measurable (bits in = bits out) between brands/models of PC's/components. If this were the case, then it would make sense to choose a specific PC brand/component.

While SPDIF and USB Audio do no ECC, my understanding is that given  the voltages used (0v and 5v) you need some really serious interference for bits to get flipped. If we're not playing buggers with cable length (e.g. >3m for USB cables, which would be btw outside spec, so disabuse yourself of any notion that "bits are bits" always holds), we can assume that bits do get intact to the DAC. Which leaves us with two possible confounding factors: jitter and electrical noise. I agree that it should be relatively easy to test bits in = bits out, but I would expect that very few have actually done any such tests in their systems.

That said, my understanding is that many DACs have bi-directional communication and error correction built into them to ensure that uncorrupted, bitperfect data transfer does occur. Some manufacturers tout this capability including Schiit...

"Advanced Clock Management, USB Input Standard -- Bifrost uses a sophisticated master clock management system to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC—unlike many DACs that use asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC), which destroys the original samples. And, with our acclaimed Gen 2 USB input now standard, you’re ready for computer, tablet, and even phone-based sources."

I'm not sure what a DAC could do in terms of ECC if the protocol used (SPDIF or USB Audio) doesn't do ECC... Short of buffering, but then you can't do gapless, and buffering introduces its own source of noise within the DAC itself, and I can't say I've heard of many (any?) DACs doing their own buffering. I may be wrong.

As for the Schiit marketing, I would think Jason got overly enthusiastic in his marketing lyrics and ended up conflating two things. When talking about clocks, we're not talking about bit-perfect, we're really talking about the timing accuracy of the bit stream (i.e. jitter). However, when Schiit touts "bit-perfect" MB DACs they don't mean the portion from source to the DAC (all DACs are supposed to get that once they use SPDIF or USB Audio), but instead they talk about what happens to the bits from DAC in to Analog out.

The ONLY bit-perfect DACs are NOS (non-oversampling) DACs: they use the exact same bits that were input to generate the analog waves.

Most oversampling DACs (i.e. most dedicated DACs out there) will use some form of approximation, most often based on Parks-McClellan, which will discard the original samples and replace them with approximations. Now we're talking about really, really good approximations here, but at the end of the day it's still what it is. One of the reasons oversampling was originally introduced was to work around the brickwall filtering requirements for 44.1 kHz material. Jason Stoddard says:
"Digital filters are where bit-perfect transfer usually dies. Digital filters upsample the incoming data to higher data rates (typically 8x) to reduce the need for analog brickwall filtering. This is handy, but again—what it outputs is a mathematical approximation."

Lastly you have a few oversampling DACs who claim to preserve the original samples, like Schiit MB, old Thetas (same tech, same designers) and Chord DACs (very different, Delta-Sigma-like tech and definitely not off-the-shelf*); since it's proprietary tech, no one can really tell. Schiit comes with a "closed-form digital filter that retains the original samples", which is one of their main selling points and why they won't stop plugging in a "bit-perfect" reference whenever they discuss their MB DACs.
See the Yggy FAQ:
"The math involved in developing the filter and calculating has a closed form solution. It is not an approximation, as all other filters I have studied (most, if not all of them). Therefore, all of the original samples are output. This could be referred to fairly as bit perfect; what comes in goes out."

For me the battle in technological advancements rages between Schiit and Chord, both departing from industry standards and using very, very different approaches. That's pretty fun to watch. Of course bar Mojo, Chord is practising a comedy pricing scheme, whereas for instance the optional stand for a DAVE (which reportedly slightly bests an Yggdrasil) will cost as much as an Yggdrasil itself... Schiit on the other hand is philosophically invested in tapping the value-minded segment of the audiophile market.

* For Chord I'm actually not sure they really do preserve the original samples, and I don't have a reference at hand. It should still, by definition, destroy the original samples. It just takes a different path to getting the correct output voltage for each incoming PCM sample. Rather than using successive-approximation, it performs a parallel value conversion and then puts the individual parts of that back together at filter-time. It should be more accurate than pure DS because you should always get the same output for the same input.
Only R2R DACs can do NOS (no digital filtering of any kind), and DS must do filtering for the simple reason that you can't squeeze 16-bit PCM through a 1-bit switch (even "multibit" DS chips simply consist of several 1-bit switches working together, usually 5 or 6). These standard DS D/A chips will generally convert even 1-bit DSD to their intermediary, internal format prior to converting the bit stream to analogue voltages: very few DACs out there do native playback of 1-bit DSD data, as in using just one very good 1-bit switch. And only R2R DACs can do native playback of PCM data (i.e. NOS).

Jul 9, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #752 of 14,566

There are good reasons why a Wyrd would help, and some even suggest to put two Wyrds in the data path (but not more). This said, I for one would ditch USB on principle: people can spend outrageous amounts just to "fix" USB and get performance similar to other transports, whereas e.g. optical (with a high-quality glass cable like Lifatec) won't suffer from electrical noise at all. So anything from a USB -> SPDIF converter to a RPi + Digi+ or even streamers like a Sonicorbiter SE or Aries Mini would likely do better than a generic computer with USB out. In particular RPi + Digi+ is a very low-cost solution to experiment with, if you've got the time to figure it out and set-up.

While many sceptics will heartily argue that source can't matter (unless something egregious is going on), there are engineers around head-fi who will disagree, for instance:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/3675#post_12606468

While SPDIF and USB Audio do no ECC, my understanding is that given  the voltages used (0v and 5v) you need some really serious interference for bits to get flipped. If we're not playing buggers with cable length (e.g. >3m for USB cables, which would be btw outside spec, so disabuse yourself of any notion that "bits are bits" always holds), we can assume that bits do get intact to the DAC. Which leaves us with two possible confounding factors: jitter and electrical noise. I agree that it should be relatively easy to test bits in = bits out, but I would expect that very few have actually done any such tests in their systems.

snip

Having explored the Wyrd Way and optical and ethernet, and now ProAudio ethernet I have arranged these digital audio formats into a 'Better' List.
My list of 'better' digital audio formats goes like this.
Bottom of the list is just straight USB
Next is optical (glass fibre Lifatec cable)
Then early ethernet.
Then the Wyrd with improved and tweaked USB cables.
Next is a 2-Wyrd setup with improved and tweaked cables.
Then ProAudio ethernet to SPDIF
And lastly ProAudio ethernet to AES3

And in the middle of implementing the ProAudio etherenet system I added an ethernet –> fibre –> ethernet for absolute galvanic isolation.
I don't know if this step is necessary nor what it's true benefits are as I have not completed the break-in cycle on the entire system yet.
And when that happens I'll be able to remove it from the signal path to determine what, if any, sonic contributions this optical as ethernet isolation technique actually makes.
But I can say it certainly doesn't seem to be hindering in any way as the results thus far are stupendous, and I don't expect them to stop improving as this entire system continues to settle in.

And in my research and the origins of both AES3 and SPDIF it became clear that SPDIF is a consumer variant with changes to both s/w and h/w, from the ProAudio standard, AES3.
These changes made it 'easier' (and I suspect cheaper) for manufacturers to transfer the digital audio stream from device to device.
IOW SPDIF is a less robust standard and as such 'suffers' from a greater range of external and internal 'influences' than its 'bigger brother' the AES3 standard.
But the major point here is both of these digital audio formats were designed and meant to carry digital audio streams in real time with minimal fuss.
This can't be said for USB.

JJ

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #753 of 14,566
You guys are overestimating the complexity of audio streaming. Modern USB implementations are much more complex and advanced than any of the 40 year old S/PDIF audio standards.

TL;DR - USB is just fine for audio. There's nothing special there.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #754 of 14,566

Then early ethernet.

Very interesting, JJ, thanks.

Regarding optical, was it straight Toslink from a laptop or some fancier box? My understanding is that generic laptops that provide optical out choose parts on a 'race to the bottom' quality criteria, so this might have skewed results against optical.

Since you've pretty much sampled it all, I'd love to hear (if you ever get the chance) your experience with optical out from streamers like Auralic Aries (which has AES3, or Mini), RPi&Digi+ or Sonicorbiter SE. I would suspect results to be better than plain out from a Mac. All of these options can be used with Ethernet in and Optical out, in principle not unlike the ProAudio stuff above. I would expect that the true differentiator will rest on the quality of the output transceiver (and clocks), which may different between a Mac, an Aries, a Digi+ or a Sonicorbiter...

Jul 9, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #755 of 14,566
Thanks again, Landroni.

As I said, I'll probably get a Wyrd at some point...even though (I believe) I'm not hearing any degradation from noise. For a hundred bucks, it's worth a shot. At this point, it's not worth the time/effort to explore the non-USB solutions; maybe down the road though since (theoretically) the data on the USB configuration could get corrupted without ECC prior to arriving at the DAC.

However, the other issue regarding jitter/bit-perfect/etc. is exactly why I'm bringing this topic up. It would be nice to hear from a DAC design expert exactly what they mean when they say "to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC."

Especially since the follow on phrase, "unlike many DACs that use asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC), which destroys the original samples." implies that the Bifrost doesn't destroy the original sample.

Lastly, if manufacturers truly don't make the effort to test their 'bit-perfect' systems, that's disturbing. When I coded, we tested my results to ensure that they met the requirements. Doesn't mean there wasn't a use case that hadn't been thought of...or yes, even the occasional bug that got through due to compressed timelines. However, QA was always done until the results were 100% or the stakeholder signed off on releasing with 'non-critical errors' to be fixed in a subsequent release.

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #756 of 14,566
Re: Compression/Decompression/RAW and processor load influence

Fidelizer attempts to tweak/reschedule your windows OS for audio. Some claim to hear a profound impact for the better. Others to not. I would suspect that is due to a lot of factors.

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #757 of 14,566
  Having explored the Wyrd Way and optical and ethernet, and now ProAudio ethernet I have arranged these digital audio formats into a 'Better' List.
Then early ethernet.

And in the middle of implementing the ProAudio etherenet system I added an ethernet –> fibre –> ethernet for absolute galvanic isolation.
I don't know if this step is necessary nor what it's true benefits are as I have not completed the break-in cycle on the entire system yet.
And when that happens I'll be able to remove it from the signal path to determine what, if any, sonic contributions this optical as ethernet isolation technique actually makes.
But I can say it certainly doesn't seem to be hindering in any way as the results thus far are stupendous, and I don't expect them to stop improving as this entire system continues to settle in.

And in my research and the origins of both AES3 and SPDIF it became clear that SPDIF is a consumer variant with changes to both s/w and h/w, from the ProAudio standard, AES3.
These changes made it 'easier' (and I suspect cheaper) for manufacturers to transfer the digital audio stream from device to device.
IOW SPDIF is a less robust standard and as such 'suffers' from a greater range of external and internal 'influences' than its 'bigger brother' the AES3 standard.
But the major point here is both of these digital audio formats were designed and meant to carry digital audio streams in real time with minimal fuss.

JJ

Ethernet, per the spec is balanced transformer coupled. There is no need for absolute galvanic isolation, it's built in.

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #758 of 14,566

Ethernet, per the spec is balanced transformer coupled. There is no need for absolute galvanic isolation, it's built in.

My understanding is that galvanic isolation is never perfect --- it will block noise from a specific range (say, GHz), but if the noise is within the bandwidth of your signal, it will be transmitted quite faithfully.

The "ethernet –> fibre –> ethernet" mentioned seems to be an opto-coupler, which indeed perfectly isolates from any noise coming from the source. Optical transports are in effect opto-couplers as well.

BTW, galvanic isolation is also part of the RCA Coax spec, yet not all bother doing this,  and when they do they may charge you extra for the trouble and market it as a premium product (e.g. Hifiberry Digi+).

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #760 of 14,566
Then early ethernet.

JJ

I found this thread and wanted to share my recent experience with adding a Wyrd using Cardas Clear USB cables:

I heard an instant improvement in dynamics and micro-dynamics with the Wyrd.  There is noticable improvement in separation between vocals, which makes it easier to delineate harmonies.  The improved dynamics can be heard through harder impact, and what seems to be an image that now pops out more.  It noticeably improved the resolving power of the Bimby/Lyr2 combo.

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #761 of 14,566
  If you can hear any noise, then you have a problem.  If you can't, then you don't.  Simple audio logic.

But what if you can't HEAR the noise but it IS there? Classic example of "audiophilia nervosa"...

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #763 of 14,566
Are you really SURE you can't hear the noise?

REAL audiophiles can. :wink:

clearly you need to train your ears better!

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #765 of 14,566

But what if you can't HEAR the noise but it IS there? Classic example of "audiophilia nervosa"...

I have read the argument that even if the noise is inaudible, its presence does degrade the overall sound quality. I have no opinion one way or another, but it does seem kind of kooky. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back