What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 3, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #7,561 of 14,566
As long as we're comparing cables.
A pair of AudioQuest Wind XLR's? Anyone?

Are those the self-disconnecting cables you posted about in Jason's thread? I don't think you can even give those away now.

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #7,562 of 14,566
Yeah, I was using the optical out on my work laptop with the Sound Blaster E5, because when using USB, changing the sample rate would sometimes completely crash the MacBook Pro (nothing else ever did). With the right optical cables, 24/192 was no problem. Bummer.
I had the same problem with USB -> GMB prior to the Gen 5.
It was so unstable that it would crash JRiver, especially when the music changed bit rates.
That's when I began using optical. It's very stable with decent sound.
The Gen 5 fixed the instability issue for me...and it sounds a touch better than the toslink.
Still nice having two options, just in case.

Apr 3, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #7,563 of 14,566
Sometimes I wonder why I ever thought product upgrades were a bright idea. Low margin, high human intervention, constant customer impatience – what’s not to like. You know what I am talking about; the Yggy Analog 2 upgrades.

Some of you may recall my recent chronicle detailing life’s impositions on me over the last couple of months. Everything from dental (is it safe?)to surgery in an embarrassing spot. I still kept going, albeit a bit slowed for the moment. This, too shall pass.

Well, life happens to companies, too. Let’s mention a few for Schiit. Right now, March-April is the beginning of our summer slowdown; fun times which we look forward to – we get to play with new product ideas – the stuff Jase and really like. Or maybe get Sol into production as our first purely mechanical product. This goes slowly as both Jason and I are mechanical virgins. Or because the Yggy Analog 2 really sounded and measured so much better, the demand went through the roof.

Now we throw in the fact that we have 20 some products. This is more fingers and toes than I have. A lot to keep track of. I have an old school production status board with one product per line which helps me keep track of Schiit. Looking at it lately, it is full of Schiit.

Some of our products are more predictable than others. Jason, marketing expert that he is, finds all relevant metrics on the web. This reveals reliable data on how many to plan to build. Then the Loki, which has little clues on the web, after a modest start, go crazy, crazy, crazy. The Mani sells 15-20 units per day with no web metrics, no one chattering about it on the web. Huh? Magni 3 is waaaaaaaaaaay more volume than that as are, to a lesser extent all Modis and the smaller amps. So here we are, at the beginning of the slow season. All of a sudden we realize we are still getting busier. Fawk!

So we need another person. Easy, huh. Not so much. I insist Schiit runs high trust like Theta did: High trust is essential. There are low and high trust cultures, whether political, business, or regionally based. Much has been written about them. Bottom line is the lower the trust, the more the employee intervention and surveillance. The higher the trust, the easier it is on all. Makes expansion easier, happy workplace, etc. So now Alex needs to find someone, and we will not hire the first through the door. There is a Burger chain out here called In’n’Out. They are high trust, and pay more than minimum wage. There burgers are awesome (except the context of Whataburgers - I digress). Similarly, we pay almost double minimum wage to start, and need to find the best.

I do not know if I did much other than express (complain) about the manufacturing life we currently enjoy at Schiit. It is not intended to be an excuse – it is just a slice of the day from here. The larger we get, the more stochastic events we experience. As we have been, we can continue organizing to improve. I still can't imagine doing anything else I would prefer........ Well, maybe swapping my current donut for a hot Krispy Kreme.

As far as upgrades go, we have to build what we have. The A2 Yggy boards have not been around. It looks like that shall change soon.

And now for something completely different: Multibit DAC break-in times. On the 16 bit add-in modules, there are break-in time and warm-up time. The break-in time for the 16 bit stuff is on the order of several days, which does not have to be continuous. After break-in, the warm-up is a few hours max. (Similar to the warm-up time of most tube amps – an hour or so to 90%, a few hours to 99%). It is great to have a chance to yak. All the best!

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #7,564 of 14,566
Sometimes I wonder why I ever thought product upgrades were a bright idea. Low margin, high human intervention, constant customer impatience – what’s not to like. You know what I am talking about; the Yggy Analog 2 upgrades.

Some of you may recall my recent chronicle detailing life’s impositions on me over the last couple of months. Everything from dental (is it safe?)to surgery in an embarrassing spot. I still kept going, albeit a bit slowed for the moment. This, too shall pass.

Well, life happens to companies, too. Let’s mention a few for Schiit. Right now, March-April is the beginning of our summer slowdown; fun times which we look forward to – we get to play with new product ideas – the stuff Jase and really like. Or maybe get Sol into production as our first purely mechanical product. This goes slowly as both Jason and I are mechanical virgins. Or because the Yggy Analog 2 really sounded and measured so much better, the demand went through the roof.

Now we throw in the fact that we have 20 some products. This is more fingers and toes than I have. A lot to keep track of. I have an old school production status board with one product per line which helps me keep track of Schiit. Looking at it lately, it is full of Schiit.

Some of our products are more predictable than others. Jason, marketing expert that he is, finds all relevant metrics on the web. This reveals reliable data on how many to plan to build. Then the Loki, which has little clues on the web, after a modest start, go crazy, crazy, crazy. The Mani sells 15-20 units per day with no web metrics, no one chattering about it on the web. Huh? Mani 3 is waaaaaaaaaaay more volume than that as are, to a lesser extent all Modis and the smaller amps. So here we are, at the beginning of the slow season. All of a sudden we realize we are still getting busier. Fawk!

So we need another person. Easy, huh. Not so much. I insist Schiit runs high trust like Theta did: High trust is essential. There are low and high trust cultures, whether political, business, or regionally based. Much has been written about them. Bottom line is the lower the trust, the more the employee intervention and surveillance. The higher the trust, the easier it is on all. Makes expansion easier, happy workplace, etc. So now Alex needs to find someone, and we will not hire the first through the door. There is a Burger chain out here called In’n’Out. They are high trust, and pay more than minimum wage. There burgers are awesome (except the context of Whataburgers - I digress). Similarly, we pay almost double minimum wage to start, and need to find the best.

I do not know if I did much other than express (complain) about the manufacturing life we currently enjoy at Schiit. It is not intended to be an excuse – it is just a slice of the day from here. The larger we get, the more stochastic events we experience. As we have been, we can continue organizing to improve. I still can't imagine doing anything else I would prefer........ Well, maybe swapping my current donut for a hot Krispy Kreme.

As far as upgrades go, we have to build what we have. The A2 Yggy boards have not been around. It looks like that shall change soon.

And now for something completely different: Multibit DAC break-in times. On the 16 bit add-in modules, there are break-in time and warm-up time. The break-in time for the 16 bit stuff is on the order of several days, which does not have to be continuous. After break-in, the warm-up is a few hours max. (Similar to the warm-up time of most tube amps – an hour or so to 90%, a few hours to 99%). It is great to have a chance to yak. All the best!
Well since you brought it up I have a bone of contention on the Yggy A2 boards. I have one of the first Yggy's. It made and continues to make my foot tap like crazy, when other dacs didn't. There are people who wonder about Multibit, they post questions like, "should I spend the extra dollars...how do I know?" And I want to tell them just try it and listen to your foot!

Which brings around my bone of contention. This A2 board is stellar. I would gladly have paid more! And one of the reasons to have your products is to upgrade it. Problem is my foot tapping gets in the way of consentrating on the delicately revealing and clearly focused images deep in the sound field. I find them mesmerising. I have to tell my foot to be still so my ears can take it in better! My body is now in conflict! :)

Not sure what to tell people now other than it's an awesome upgrade. Your ears and foot will thank you!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #7,565 of 14,566
Mike,
I know you and Jason took a lot of grief over the Yggy upgrade, but it was
precisely that upgrade and your commitment to keep Yggy at its best
that motivated me to buy a Yggy2. Obviously I was not alone.
Glad you're back, keep up the great work on both top fo the line and
keeping good hi-fi affordable

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #7,566 of 14,566
Mike,
I know you and Jason took a lot of grief over the Yggy upgrade, but it was
precisely that upgrade and your commitment to keep Yggy at its best
that motivated me to buy a Yggy2. Obviously I was not alone.
Glad you're back, keep up the great work on both top fo the line and
keeping good hi-fi affordable
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said + ∞. (hold the ALT key down and type 236 on the numlock number pad)

Really appreciate that Schiit offers upgrades on its top tier hardware. I realize the grief and complaints that entails.

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #7,567 of 14,566

I am mostly too busy to listen on weekdays so I turn my Bifrost Multibit and Modi Multibit on Thursday night so that they're ready to go on Friday night. It does make a noticeable difference to leave them on for a few hours!

Apr 3, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #7,568 of 14,566
Im loving my Yggy A2.
I placed an order for the Yggy (not knowing about the new A2 board) last November and only got it in early March.
It was worth the wait! Paired with the Ragnarok.

That being said, I hope there are plans for the tech of the Analog 2 to be applied to the Gungnir.

Definitely looking to get me the Mjolnir 2 and the Gungnir A2 (if it ever comes out)

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #7,569 of 14,566
I am mostly too busy to listen on weekdays so I turn my Bifrost Multibit and Modi Multibit on Thursday night so that they're ready to go on Friday night. It does make a noticeable difference to leave them on for a few hours!

I just never turn my Bimby off...

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #7,570 of 14,566
Keep up the good work,

If you feel so inclined take a break from those frustrating mechanical things(sol).

Boring stuff(upgrades/hiring)

And work on a new exciting things, like getting the gadget in a box and to us!

Apr 4, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #7,571 of 14,566
@Baldr

.....And now for something completely different: Multibit DAC break-in times. On the 16 bit add-in modules, there are break-in time and warm-up time. The break-in time for the 16 bit stuff is on the order of several days, which does not have to be continuous. After break-in, the warm-up is a few hours max. (Similar to the warm-up time of most tube amps – an hour or so to 90%, a few hours to 99%). It is great to have a chance to yak. All the best!

Any thought on warm up time for the Ragnarok?
I leave my Yggdrasil on all the time and usually give my MJ2 at least an hour to warm up before listening but usually only 10 to 15 minutes on the Rag.
Thanks.

Apr 4, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #7,575 of 14,566
on a mac ∞ is (opt-5)

JJ :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back