What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 9, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #7,591 of 14,564
No, not yet. waiting on Yggy, gona try stock inputs before spending on this or similar.

I'm getting into mixing/making music So a Lynx card might be in my future. AES/EBU output.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #7,592 of 14,564
I wish I could help you with Carmen. I just don't like that opera at all. A horrible French teacher spent six weeks teaching us the libretto to it in AP French. And then we saw it. And I hated it even more.

I am ruined for Carmen forever. Just listened to the 1953 Keilberth Rheingold/Walkure today.

Apr 10, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #7,593 of 14,564
Opera question:

Wife & Daughter saw one of the HD Live things with Carmen done by Royal British something or other.

Carmen started off in a gorilla suit. Any ideas why?!

The short answer is Regietheater, but I’ll expound a bit.

If you go by the libretto or the original novella there is no reason to have a gorilla or someone in a gorilla suit in Carmen. Often directors feel like everything traditional has been don’t and feel the need to add or superimpose elements into the storyline and, well, it starts getting weird. Regietheater is the term used when the directors personal ideas become more important than, are in opposition to, or just distract from the intended story. Some would argue this and say the director is using his/her artistic license to bring a new perspective to the audience, or bring relavence to an outdated story. Either way you end up with the Valkeries riding Harleys, crocodiles is Rheingold (or maybe Götterdämmerung, I can’t remember), or ... gorillas in Carmen.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #7,595 of 14,564
I wonder what Mike's thoughts are regarding up-sampling as is done in Chord Blu.
I think I understand what it is but not why helps the sound of a CD.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #7,596 of 14,564
The short answer is Regietheater, but I’ll expound a bit.

If you go by the libretto or the original novella there is no reason to have a gorilla or someone in a gorilla suit in Carmen. Often directors feel like everything traditional has been don’t and feel the need to add or superimpose elements into the storyline and, well, it starts getting weird. Regietheater is the term used when the directors personal ideas become more important than, are in opposition to, or just distract from the intended story. Some would argue this and say the director is using his/her artistic license to bring a new perspective to the audience, or bring relavence to an outdated story. Either way you end up with the Valkeries riding Harleys, crocodiles is Rheingold (or maybe Götterdämmerung, I can’t remember), or ... gorillas in Carmen.

Sounds like something I'd expect to see starring Larry, Moe, and Curly or Groucho, Chico, and Harpo in it.

Apr 10, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #7,597 of 14,564
I wonder what Mike's thoughts are regarding up-sampling as is done in Chord Blu.
I think I understand what it is but not why helps the sound of a CD.
The intent of this upsampling is the same as that of the upsampling via *burrito filter in the Schiit multibit DACs. Except for NOS DACs, every DAC out there upsamples the lower sample rates. But the division of labor between digital source and DAC is not fixed. You can upsample in the source, and run a NOS DAC. I won't jump into arguments about upsampling vs not (I own both kinds of DAC and I enjoy both in different ways).

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #7,598 of 14,564
Thanks. There is always something to learn no matter how long I'm in this hobby.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #7,599 of 14,564
I just experienced a great feeling of freedom with my 18' cable out of Bimby into my KSE1500. I made espresso in the next room and could *almost not hear the grinder.* I'm beginning to see the beauty of portable rigs.

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #7,600 of 14,564
I love my Cambridge CXC dedicated transport. It upgraded my sound. Was using a Bimby but now Yggy and Ragnarok.

I may need one of these if/when my laser dies, it's over 25 years old now, many don't make it this far.
Replacements have long ago dried up.
Probably get the Emo ERC-3 because of the AES/EBU output.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #7,603 of 14,564
Can I use my comcast coax splitter for splitting coax signal out of Eitr?
these worked for me, Coax from Asus Xonar STX to Bimby and another DAC.
Bit expensive but worth it.:darthsmile:
upload_2018-4-11_16-27-58.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back