What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 28, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #7,189 of 14,566
Mike, I hope you're well done........ :ksc75smile:

tenor.gif

Mar 2, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #7,191 of 14,566
Below is a link to an interview of Bernie Grundman by Paul McGowan that's well worth the listen.

I'll hazard a guess that the "only the measurements matter, everything sounds the same and a bit is a bit and is always a bit" crowd will take exception and most certainly am not posting this to get into that. I found it fascinating and educational and maybe some here will also.

https://anchor.fm/ohms-law/episodes/Bernie-Grundman-e1467p

Mike, hope you are doing well. I honestly think the modest $100.00 price increase on Yggy II is more of a gift to the community than anything else! Terrific upgrade. If some people can't hear that that's ok, keep the hobby going for the rest of us!

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #7,192 of 14,566
Mike, hope you are doing well. I honestly think the modest $100.00 price increase on Yggy II is more of a gift to the community than anything else! Terrific upgrade. If some people can't hear that that's ok, keep the hobby going for the rest of us!

My basic response when anyone asks my opinion about anything that involves sonic or visual differences e.g lossy vs lossless music or video cables is basically this. If you can hear/see/feel a difference. That is perfectly fine. If you can't that is also perfectly fine. Doesn't mean that you are right or wrong. It doesn't make you any less of a person. Just stick with what you like.

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #7,194 of 14,566
My basic response when anyone asks my opinion about anything that involves sonic or visual differences e.g lossy vs lossless music or video cables is basically this. If you can hear/see/feel a difference. That is perfectly fine. If you can't that is also perfectly fine. Doesn't mean that you are right or wrong. It doesn't make you any less of a person. Just stick with what you like.
You can't put a price on placebo :)

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #7,195 of 14,566
The pre-isolated input draws a few milliamps from the source. That's why.

Sorry to post this here, but I've received no response from tech@schiit.com or the ticketed support system after a week.

I'm finding that Eitr is drawing a significant amount of current from my Samsung Galaxy phones (a cheap inline meter says 90mA, 3C Battery Monitor app suggests more). Battery drain observed over time is significantly greater than when connected to my iFi micro iDSD which draws zero current when running on its own battery (my meter confirms this). Eitr doesn't work at all with my iPad2+CCK ("device draws too much power" error). Both phones work plugged directly into Mimby, as does the iPad2+CCK (30-pin, genuine Apple). The meter shows slightly more current draw from Mimby (120mA).

Windows USB Root Hub power properties says that Etir is requesting 100mA (as does Mimby).

I have the correct Sony adapter cable for my NW-ZX2 DAP (WMC-NWH10). It works as a USB source with my micro iDSD, but does not work with either Eitr or Mimby.

I was told by (Nick tech@schiit.com) that "[Eitr] will not, [draw power from the phone] it is fully self powered."

Interesting. The product page used to say: "USB Power: 0mA required from source", but this has now been removed.
upload_2018-3-3_10-34-26.png
upload_2018-3-3_10-35-9.png

Link to Wayback page.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-3_10-33-21.png
    upload_2018-3-3_10-33-21.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 3, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #7,197 of 14,566
I have the correct Sony adapter cable for my NW-ZX2 DAP (WMC-NWH10). It works as a USB source with my micro iDSD, but does not work with either Eitr or Mimby.

If you want the ZX2 work with USB out, you need to buy the Sony cradle BCR-NWH10. Unfortunately the cable only works with certain units, mostly Sony. I suggest you get a better-than-stock PSU for the cradle.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #7,198 of 14,566
My point is that Eitr doesn't function as it was advertised. And someone has taken the effort to modify the specs on the product page, but not to answer my queries regarding the power draw. Before I purchased, I explicitly asked Schiit about it pulling current from phones and was told that it wouldn't.

The ZX2 being able to function as a source without a cradle would have been a bonus. It works with the micro iDSD, so it's not impossible for non-Sony products.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #7,199 of 14,566
As I understood it, when they first released the EITR, it draws a small amount (c 10mA) for the connection handshake, but essentially it is self-powered.

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #7,200 of 14,566
My point is that Eitr doesn't function as it was advertised. And someone has taken the effort to modify the specs on the product page, but not to answer my queries regarding the power draw. Before I purchased, I explicitly asked Schiit about it pulling current from phones and was told that it wouldn't.

The ZX2 being able to function as a source without a cradle would have been a bonus. It works with the micro iDSD, so it's not impossible for non-Sony products.
I always used my ZX2 with a Wyrd. I haven't used it in a while and as a source in a couple years. I'm charging it and have an Eitr so later today I'll give it a try. Will get back with what I find.

My phone with USB Audio Player Pro runs circles around my Sony and use it all the time into Bimby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back