What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 3, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #7,216 of 14,564
Again, another data point, and direct contrast to @Ableza - I am able to play from tidal or Apple Music directly into a Gungnir MB with a gen5 upgrade from the iPhone 7 Plus, 6s and iPad 9.7 2017. To @Ableza ‘s point, I guess I offer the converse - I do it all the time, and it actually works quite well and sounds at least “good enough” as compared to my laptop into the Gumby. One could argue, possibly successfully, that the laptop is not ideal either I guess....
That's why a dedicated network player is soooo much better.

Mar 3, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #7,218 of 14,564
My point is that Eitr doesn't function as it was advertised. And someone has taken the effort to modify the specs on the product page, but not to answer my queries regarding the power draw. Before I purchased, I explicitly asked Schiit about it pulling current from phones and was told that it wouldn't.

The ZX2 being able to function as a source without a cradle would have been a bonus. It works with the micro iDSD, so it's not impossible for non-Sony products.
Alrighty then got the ZX2 charged so here's my results (using the Sony adapter USB out cable):

ZX2 into Eitr- Eitr doesn't recognize it.

ZX2 into Wyrd then Eitr - Eitr appears to recognize it, it lights up but no music.

ZX2 into Gen 5 usb- not recognized.

ZX2 into Wyrd then Gen 5 usb- music!! I might add that the ZX2 needed to be rebooted and then the Wyrd said "ok let's make music" or vice versa, however the protocol works. I used this procedure with all the combos.

Phone with USB Audio Pro works fine with Gen 5 USB but does not play with Eitr. They shake hands ok but when you hit play you get an error.

Laptop likes Eitr fine as does my Bryston BDP 1 USB player.

Hope this helps confirm and maybe allays some of your frustration at least.:)

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #7,219 of 14,564
Eitr, like Gen 5, is powered by USB. This is how you get 100% isolation. Or at least that's how we get 100% isolation. If we used the internal power supplies to run the USB interface, then it wouldn't be 100% isolated. At least that's how I understand it. Mike will have to weigh in once he has the time and/or inclination.

Sounds like Nick was mistaken, and we edited the specs to reflect this. Sorry if that caused any consternation.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 3, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #7,220 of 14,564
Eitr, like Gen 5, is powered by USB. This is how you get 100% isolation. Or at least that's how we get 100% isolation. If we used the internal power supplies to run the USB interface, then it wouldn't be 100% isolated. At least that's how I understand it. Mike will have to weigh in once he has the time and/or inclination.

Sounds like Nick was mistaken, and we edited the specs to reflect this. Sorry if that caused any consternation.
Jason, if you're deep into engineering Schiit the way you like, hope you're having a good Saturday... if that's what you're doing...Eitr way hope you're Saturday is good.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #7,223 of 14,564
I use my iPhone 7 into a Jot with dac and it works fine. The solution was to get the cck with the power option. That is the one that runs a separate line for power.
Apple MK0W2AM/A Lightning To USB Camera Adapter, from Amazon site. This solved the too much power draw with the built in dac in the Jot.

Mar 4, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #7,224 of 14,564
Phone with USB Audio Pro works fine with Gen 5 USB but does not play with Eitr. They shake hands ok but when you hit play you get an error.
Thanks for going to all that effort. I have no problems with my Android phones and UAPP into Eitr, other than the additional current draw which reduces playback time per charge. I don't have room for a laptop where I listen. I'll try inserting a powered USB hub between Eitr and my iPad 2 to take advantage of it's larger battery. Or maybe I'll eventually build an RPi to feed the Eitr and control the player from my phone.

Thanks for weighing in, Jason. I realize my usage model is a bit out of the norm, which is why I specifically asked tech@schiit.com about my particular setup before buying. Something better than the perfunctory answer I received would have averted my "crisis". Also, from the timing, it seems that editing the USB power specs was a result of my requests for support. Yet I still haven't received a response after a full week.

That you say "Eitr, like Gen 5, is powered by USB. This is how you get 100% isolation" surprises me. That would mean Eitr depends on whatever USB power is coming from the source, however "dirty" it might be. Also, the product page says:
... electrostatic and electromagnetic isolation (via transformers), self-power of all critical low-noise and reclocking sections, and separate, precision clock sources for both 44.1 and 48kHz multiples.
If the design of Eitr relies on USB power for isolation, putting "USB Power: 0mA required from source" in the original spec seems a rather large inconsistency.

And just so I'm not totally Mr. Negative, I really like how my Eitr>Mimby>Magni 3 stack sounds. I'm going to find a workable setup so I can use it where I originally intended.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #7,225 of 14,564
gixxerwimp,

The USB side of the Eitr is powered by USB while the SPDIF side is powered by the power supply. The isolation is between the two using transformers. This keeps the bad stuff from the USB side, including power artifacts, isolated from the SPDIF side.

Mar 4, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #7,226 of 14,564
Just got back from Shostakovich’s 2nd violin concerto, Salonen’s helix, and Brahms 1. Switched by from center terrace to orchestra at intermission. Wow! It is a dramatic lowering of the volume.

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #7,229 of 14,564
Thanks for going to all that effort. I have no problems with my Android phones and UAPP into Eitr, other than the additional current draw which reduces playback time per charge. I don't have room for a laptop where I listen. I'll try inserting a powered USB hub between Eitr and my iPad 2 to take advantage of it's larger battery. Or maybe I'll eventually build an RPi to feed the Eitr and control the player from my phone.

Thanks for weighing in, Jason. I realize my usage model is a bit out of the norm, which is why I specifically asked tech@schiit.com about my particular setup before buying. Something better than the perfunctory answer I received would have averted my "crisis". Also, from the timing, it seems that editing the USB power specs was a result of my requests for support. Yet I still haven't received a response after a full week.

That you say "Eitr, like Gen 5, is powered by USB. This is how you get 100% isolation" surprises me. That would mean Eitr depends on whatever USB power is coming from the source, however "dirty" it might be. Also, the product page says:

If the design of Eitr relies on USB power for isolation, putting "USB Power: 0mA required from source" in the original spec seems a rather large inconsistency.

And just so I'm not totally Mr. Negative, I really like how my Eitr>Mimby>Magni 3 stack sounds. I'm going to find a workable setup so I can use it where I originally intended.

Yep, we screw up from time to time. Support has been notified of the correct response. Please contact orders@schiit.com for a full refund if Eitr doesn’t work for you.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #7,230 of 14,564
Just got back from Shostakovich’s 2nd violin concerto, Salonen’s helix, and Brahms 1. Switched by from center terrace to orchestra at intermission. Wow! It is a dramatic lowering of the volume.
After all this off-topic talk about USB, this post comes as a breath of fresh air (or, is that aria...?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back