What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 9, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #6,841 of 14,565
Hmmm...some of us might think the Opera discussion belongs on the other thread and would prefer a Blues/Jazz/Classic Rock discussion!

The REAL beauty of this thread is the near total lack of 'moderating'! Because of Mike's philosophy on this topic, we are free to engage in civilized, yet spirited, discussions about whatever we choose to; which more or less centers on Music, Audio Equipment, Opera (ugh), Opera Paintings (UGH), etc. :ksc75smile:

However, we can certainly up the Cats & VU Meters to balance out all this high-brow stuff!

images

Your right about "the real beauty".
I use my equipment that we discuss on the various threads to listen to music. I'm not into some genres of music but have absolutely no problem with those who are posting their listening experiences. And actually, opera is not my first choice in genre, it's the purely orchestral stuff. But opera's easier to have fun with.
All these comparisons of one box of pieces parts to another box of pieces parts or dissection of the boxes makes no sense without a point of reference, no context for me without the music and specifically in conjunction with real live music.One box may measure better than another but how does it compare to it's intended purpose?
The purely box to box comparisons or dissections of the 'my graphs better than your graph' type tend to be dry, humorless, and as we have seen, can be mean spirited and might be best suited to the Sound Science thread.
But, that's just my opinion, so, nevermind...

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #6,844 of 14,565
Nice to see a few fewer sphincters around these parts now.

Yggy 2 is still breaking in, in the next week I may get serious about deep listening. So far my casual listening has been filled with a joyful noise.

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #6,846 of 14,565
I am afraid I have to remove some posts that are removed due to quotes from a banned user. If this affects you, my regrets due to the collateral damage. Please keep hanging out and posting!
No worries Mike. Hope you are on the mend from your eye issue (mentioned on other site).

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #6,847 of 14,565
@amirm, even though you have the (hopefully improving) diplomacy of a spanish inquisition tribunal - at least you are a measurebator (sorry for that shameless steal), are cordial, and it seems that you want to be helpful to all. Hopefully I am right.

That said, time to lighten this joint up! @robertbudding and @TenMoonsNorth you have little to no good to say about anyone; @spruce music, not only do you have a near negative signal/slop ratio, you denigrate other head-fi users and even my competitors in this, my avocation and hobby. It is one thing to badmouth me - I can take care of myself. When its gets beyond me, it is inexcusable.

As I have repeatedly stated, I loathe censorship. You, however, have worked hard to earn it. The three of you are gone; get off my goddam lawn........

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #6,848 of 14,565
Nice to see a few fewer sphincters around these parts now.

Yggy 2 is still breaking in, in the next week I may get serious about deep listening. So far my casual listening has been filled with a joyful noise.

My curiosity on the sound of Yggy analog "original issue" to Yggy analog "second iteration" keeps gnawing at me. I almost (that is almost) had a moment of weakness soon after it was announced to purchase one of the new models just to compare it with my existing Yggy (vintage May of 2016) for the fun of it. I started out justifying it to myself by saying, "yeah, I'll put a second rig for listening up in my bedroom, I've got a long, low cabinet already to set it all up on, got plenty of headphone amps and cabling, and maybe I'll get a server/player for a source and load my 1,000 fav albums, and maybe learn about and play around with DL'd music content and ....".

This audio hobby can be brutal. LOL.

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #6,850 of 14,565
I am afraid I have to remove some posts that are removed due to quotes from a banned user. If this affects you, my regrets due to the collateral damage. Please keep hanging out and posting!

I was a victim of this but totally understand and do not consider it undue censorship. If I had some drunkenly or disorderly conduct going on in front of my house I would do something about it. My main point was that too much reliance on measurements is like living in Plato's cave. I used to chase the best measurements as a litmus test and it only resulted in crap systems. Things that are done to get good measurements seem to often harm sound such as striping harmonics and other life like details in recordings. Negative feedback is an example. Seems like things get very very pricey to have a component sound great and achieve the pinnacle of over simplified measurement orthodoxy. I have tube amp with tubby bass that has highs and mid range presence to die for. I would pick it over several amps that measures well and have dry highs, flatness, and thinness. And those kind of fine measuring components are a dime a dozen.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #6,851 of 14,565
As for the repeated referring to AtomicBobs measurement, the only measurement that bears resemblance is the linearity test and that seems to be a multibit thing. As far as I understand it.
Also Amirs THD+N and jitterresults are said to be way worse than AtomicBobs on the other forum. So there really isn`t as much overlap in the results as was claimed on here yesterday.
So I go with the the unit was broken theory and give Amir the benefit of the doubt until he got a chance to remeasure a fixed/new unit. (Not sure what it would mean if he doesn`t at this point.)

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #6,852 of 14,565
This thread has illustrated two of my pet peeves with Internet audio forums. 1) people who think they understand measurements but do not (and the corollary audiophile tendency to latch onto a poorly understood measurement and make it the most important thing in the world) and 2) people who "must be right" at all costs. And then there are the trolls, but those are normally easily identifiable and dismissible. Numbers 1) and 2) are why I avoid the numerous forums inhabited by self-appointed and self-righteous "experts." I prefer my experts to actually know what they are talking about.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #6,853 of 14,565
Good. Illegitimi non carborundum.

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #6,854 of 14,565
This thread has illustrated two of my pet peeves with Internet audio forums. 1) people who think they understand measurements but do not (and the corollary audiophile tendency to latch onto a poorly understood measurement and make it the most important thing in the world) and 2) people who "must be right" at all costs. And then there are the trolls, but those are normally easily identifiable and dismissible. Numbers 1) and 2) are why I avoid the numerous forums inhabited by self-appointed and self-righteous "experts." I prefer my experts to actually know what they are talking about.
Well stated. It is disappointing that many of these "experts" cannot see the errors in their thinking when presented with facts. I suppose that today you must go to engineering school to develop that sort of critical thinking----you will not get it from the internet.

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #6,855 of 14,565
I'm not going to respond any further in this thread because I don't want to fill it with off topic noise. If you want to discuss further PM me or make a separate thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back