What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 30, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #6,196 of 14,565
I’ve been experimenting with streaming services over the past couple of months, and have decided to stay with Spotify as it has much of the music that I am interested in, plus with my streamer it does gapless playback, which isn’t currently possible with Qobuz or Tidal. The sound quality of the latter two is better than Spotify, but not by much (to my ears), and for what I want it for it’s fine.
I still prefer my music in a physical format, but these streaming services are a great way to try before you buy, and to listen to music that is hard to obtain on CD or LP, or is prohibitively expense on CD, such as the UFO live box set I’m currently enjoying, which is over £600.00 on Amazon. That’s almost three months worth of mortgage payments!
This one? https://www.amazon.com/Live-Sightings-UFO/dp/B01947MMK0

Dec 30, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #6,199 of 14,565
By mortgage payment, do you mean as for housing? Only £200/month???
He obviously does not live in San Francisco.
Or elsewhere in the US.
https://www.valuepenguin.com/mortgages/average-monthly-mortgage-payment

avg-monthly-mortgage-payment_q2mbkk

Dec 30, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #6,200 of 14,565
Dec 30, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #6,201 of 14,565
Dec 30, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #6,202 of 14,565
Dec 30, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #6,203 of 14,565
I'm enjoying Qobuz Sublime for the streaming quality and for the good prices on Hi-Res albums I want to buy
But OMG that software. I have never seen such a bad performance in software.Total Ce aR A Pe.
Have spent many lines of email to talk to the development department, but I think they are too small and on a very tiny budget.
So the proper way to describe my relation to Qobuz is that I tolerate them.
If Spotify offers CD quality I will switch at the blink of an eye.

In my experience the Qobuz app for WIndows works about the same as the Tidal app, except Qobuz doesn't stutter or freeze, and has better content and layout.

On Android I stream them both through UAPP.

On my home server I have LMS plug-ins for both.

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #6,204 of 14,565
Had a great time at the Schiitr today, though there was quite a bit of static electricity in the speaker room. Looking forward to having the new and improved Gadget in my chain. I was very happy to see HD800 returned, with what might be new pads. Loki was an interesting product too, though I wasn't moved to lay down the cash for one. I guess I'm not quite persuaded that EQ is something I need. It seemed to have a good supply of foot traffic. I'm not sure Schiitr 2 needs to be on 5th Avenue, but someone with affordable rents that is still accessible to a large part of the Northeast would be an interesting idea. Philly is a great contender, though Newark would be close enough for all the New York audiophiles to get to without difficulty. Still, part of the success of the Schiitr is its proximity to HQ. Having a store(/fulfillment center?) across the country would be a totally different experiment, and would succeed or fail based on a largely different set of parameters.

My one suggestion would be to stock lighter coffee. However, the fact that the machine grinds the beans for each cup is definitely a plus! The Breville Oracle Touch is a great super-automatic espresso machine, in case it ever breaks.

I just discovered the perhaps most fabulous singing actor—and certainly the most fabulous counter tenor—of my generation. The fantastically expressive Kangmin Justin Kim specializes in Baroque repertory, though I wish I could have seen his Cherubino from Heidelberg a couple years ago. (The choice to sing it as a man is ahistorical. I have it from Phillip Gossett himself, may he rest in peace, that Cherubino was played by a woman starting in 1786 under Mozart's direction. Still, I think the choice of countertenor is a potentially inspired one.) I especially enjoy how his falsetto dips seamlessly into modal voice for a low accent. Here he is singing Handel, though I recommend looking up his alter-ego Kimchillia Bartoli, who sings Agitata da due venti in full drag (though only after seeing Cecilia's original). Everyone in Europe is on notice: he's singing in Giulio Cesere at Glyndebourne this summer (tickets go on sale March 4).

I will be there.

also:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #6,205 of 14,565
A Philly Schiitr would suit me fine, LOL, (but Delaware is State Sales Tax free).

But static electricity is at max here as well with 2 degrees F with the windchill outside my window as I type this. Throw in some industrial grade carpeting and walking across the room wearing synthetic fabrics is akin to living in the gap between 2 conductors in a Jacobs Ladder. I run a humidifier right in my home theater / headphone listening area and keep the thermostat at 68 but even that's not 100% solution.

Dec 31, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #6,206 of 14,565
I heard rumors that the next Schiitr will be on the new moon base that is build to welcome all extraterrestrials whom are floating in our solar system for ages now.
And... I cannot deny the absolute brilliance of it.
I already posted my application because for a cripple like me the reduced gravity is more than welcome.
So while I'm knitting Constanza that dog suit, I also build in the life systems she needs up there.
For now we both have colanders strapped to our heads to get used to a space helmet well in advance.
Then there will be Elvis who lives up there for quit a while now.
Everyone on earth is on notice: He's singing in the Albatechnius crater this summer (tickets go on sale April 1).
Wow.. I'm so exited.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #6,207 of 14,565
LOL. As a fellow cripple, I'll be joining you there.
The reduced gravity will lend itself to inviting Schiit blogs and A=432 pitch tuning.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #6,208 of 14,565
I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year.

And that you receive the Schiit of your dreams in 2018...

:)

Dec 31, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #6,210 of 14,565
A Philly Schiitr would suit me fine, LOL, (but Delaware is State Sales Tax free).

But static electricity is at max here as well with 2 degrees F with the windchill outside my window as I type this. Throw in some industrial grade carpeting and walking across the room wearing synthetic fabrics is akin to living in the gap between 2 conductors in a Jacobs Ladder. I run a humidifier right in my home theater / headphone listening area and keep the thermostat at 68 but even that's not 100% solution.

My aunt has heated bamboo floors off the coast of Seattle. I am envious.

I wrote a little bit on the Met's ongoing woes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back