What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 31, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #6,214 of 14,564
Maybe he should have said:

"May none of your bits get flipped!"

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #6,218 of 14,564
340897348_393969.gif

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #6,220 of 14,564
Tosca at the Metropolitan Opera last night.

I could watch/listen to it every day for a week! It was just fantastic. I was expecting a not-stellar experience what with the hassle of getting to NYC, then the Met, etc. But all of that disappeared in the face of the soprano's voice, the scenery and the tenor (I think). Now, because we were in the nose-bleed section, I cannot say much about the acting, looked like 2 ants getting romantic on stage there :)

The production is absolutely fabulous.

Now, we were in the very last row of the cheap seats. Behind us, they apparently also sell some standing room positions? Even so the sound was outstanding. There was a lack of image specificity because I think everything was bouncing off the ceiling. But the clarity and power was amazing. I can only imagine what a good seat would sound like!

There are also, non-music related, reasons that the experience was out-of-this-world. The people-watching experience is world-class, with people speaking lots of different languages and being from very different places in life. Just great!

My daughter and I agree.

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #6,221 of 14,564
Tosca at the Metropolitan Opera last night.

I could watch/listen to it every day for a week! It was just fantastic. I was expecting a not-stellar experience what with the hassle of getting to NYC, then the Met, etc. But all of that disappeared in the face of the soprano's voice, the scenery and the tenor (I think). Now, because we were in the nose-bleed section, I cannot say much about the acting, looked like 2 ants getting romantic on stage there :)

The production is absolutely fabulous.

Now, we were in the very last row of the cheap seats. Behind us, they apparently also sell some standing room positions? Even so the sound was outstanding. There was a lack of image specificity because I think everything was bouncing off the ceiling. But the clarity and power was amazing. I can only imagine what a good seat would sound like!

There are also, non-music related, reasons that the experience was out-of-this-world. The people-watching experience is world-class, with people speaking lots of different languages and being from very different places in life. Just great!

My daughter and I agree.
That is just a very engaging post...
Thanks - keep 'em coming!

Jan 5, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #6,223 of 14,564
Well, my daughter drives that bus :)

Next up, if scheduling works out, is Carmen in Philadelphia. That's in April.

Jan 7, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #6,224 of 14,564
Wow, another new year...... 2018, my 70th. I have not checked in here for a while, being preoccupied with Christmas, family, and calendar year end paperwork. I have also been gearing up for another play and the auditions were yesterday "The Cemetery Club". I had enough talent show up to cast three shows. I have already picked who I want and will notify them tomorrow. Most directors do not notify those who didn't make it but I always do, as difficult as it is, but I digress. This does not mean, that R&D has stopped. Recently we have been implementing a software based USB UAC2 (up to 192KHz) of our own into a generic microprocessor so we will be free of the constraints of any external chip maker. We do this to broaden the candidates of DACs we can use in the less expensive units. So the eventual application here is primarily for our lower priced products which has been on my mind as of late.

The Gadget is at an interesting crossroads. It runs and sounds performs exactly as expected. A colleague, Grover Neville has taken a bit of a time out from his pro audio work to write a paper which addresses the technical issues and measures significant dissonant additives at A=440 which are NOT present at C=256. Although not addressed in this paper, A=432 is far closer to C=256 with less dissonances but still a some cents sharp. C=256 is the point where the dissonances disappear. The link is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tr2qBrcaSPaTEuUz_imbWLJ-wkECMBEf/view?usp=sharing

The crossroads is an interesting one. How do I package the gadget? That is not in a sense of what color or size, but how do I make present it? Standalone? Integrated into something else? Can or will it survive as a standalone? Moreover, is it optimal to even sell it as a standalone? I think not. Here is why.

Digital audio, unlike analog audio which only needs a cable, has, in practice a protocol to function as an interconnect between components. Before the digital audio leaves the source, the Bit-Word-Data is flaked and reformed into one of those protocols. This could be S/PDIFG, USB, Rednet, whatever. Once the digital audio arrives at the DAC, it then is broken up into its Bit-Word-Data components (BWD). The Gadget does what it does in a digital signal processor. If the Gadget is a standalone, it requires two of the above protocols to get the audio on and back off again. Now if I were to make a box converting one of the protocols to another and inserted several generations of them into the digital audio chain two things happen. The first is that the final protocol in the circuit chain is the major determinant of the sound. The second is that the system costs more and more with each protocol added. So the extra protocol circuitry is a waste of space and money. Since the Gadget will not fit in an Eitr, we would need a bigger Eitr with a better power supply hmmmmmm. More I/O (AES/EBU) So it seems that the best, most cost effective, place to install a gadget would be in a DAC or in a bigger, better Eitr. Or upgradable DAC. Cheaper, better. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 7, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #6,225 of 14,564
@Baldr ... IMHO it seems to me that both packages may be appropriate ... in a bigger EITR (which I thought might be on the cards anyway) and in a DAC ... would allow Schiit and non-Schiit owners to benefit .... as you did with GEN5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back