What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 20, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #6,123 of 14,566
And I finally found someone comparing the Verdi vs Orchestral pitch.
and

Ok, I got it wrong every time except for the #4 guitar riff on the third file.
A very interesting comparison - thanks Pietro.
Seems to tell me that tuning to A=432 isn't a done deal.

Today I tuned the DSP pitch on JRMC down to -0.02, at the advice of @johnjen.
Listened to Eric Clapton's Unplugged. An album that I know well.
It sounded really great...
But, I didn't A/B vs. the +0.00 pitch, and it was my first time hearing that album with my new LCD-4.
So, not even close to a definitive test, I know.
I would never survive on the Sounds and Science forum.

I want to do more tests, especially on acoustic and classical music!
Anyone here have music that would benefit from an A/B test? Send your ideas.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #6,124 of 14,566
Have you ever noticed that many computer geeks can't explain to you in words how to do something on the computer? They can only sit down and show you. Aspergers? It runs in my family. If it didn't I would be more empathetic to people who have it.

I think it's more because there's a complex decision tree, intermixed with describing visual interfaces over the phone (or whatever). If you don't recall exactly how the GUI looks, your description may leave someone stranded.

For example, I was thinking about writing in Jason's thread a guide to making sure Linux handles Schiit DACs properly, and in my mind it became a complex mess of caveats and alternative choices. (For example, if you are running a Debian based system such as Ubuntu, use the command apt-get or apt to install the following software; if you are using a Red Hat based system such as Fedora or CentOS, use rpm or yum to install the software. And that's paraphrased, not even precise!)

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #6,125 of 14,566
Yes, I do think that's part of it. I'm sure that you've been through the explain to someone how to tie their shoe without using any gestures or helping in any way exercise. It's hard to do. I think, however, that it goes deeper than that. A lot of computer geeks and engineers seem not to be the best communicators in the world -- at least when it comes to explaining how to use a computer. I sometimes don't think they have a feel for what the person being shown how to do something will understand; they can only demonstrate what they do. Fwiw, when I can't understand a geek or figure out what they are showing me I wonder if autism in involved.

I get so upset when apt-get doesn't work!

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #6,127 of 14,566
I think I'll be at the Schiitr the saturday before new years. Is the cancelled prototype still available for demos?

If the Gadget 1.0/suped up Eitr turns out to be a bifrost chassis (or, more likely, the newer Jotunheim design), it would encourage Bimby stacking, and make a fantastic bedside table rig, with the enticing KSE1500, which I've had my eye on for a while now. So far only heard it in the SFO airport, though. But it was pretty great.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #6,128 of 14,566
sudo apt-get install synaptic

(Then put it from your applications->system menu to your desktop, desktop software dependent. May involve dragging a copy from the menu, or a right click.)

It may be old, but it's reliable.

Yeah that works. I was really referring to using a Linux device with one is unfamiliar and not paying attending to the flavor of Linux being used. A couple of commands work and then one doesn't. Uhh-ohh, this aint Ubuntu. I get so bore-sighted on what I am trying to do I wouldn't even notice if the prompt said RedHat:

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #6,129 of 14,566
I think I'll be at the Schiitr the saturday before new years. Is the cancelled prototype still available for demos?

If the Gadget 1.0/suped up Eitr turns out to be a bifrost chassis (or, more likely, the newer Jotunheim design), it would encourage Bimby stacking, and make a fantastic bedside table rig, with the enticing KSE1500, which I've had my eye on for a while now. So far only heard it in the SFO airport, though. But it was pretty great.
Keep. Functions. Separate. I want to try the gadget to see if I like it. I do not return stuff that isn't broken. If it costs $200->$250, I will try it. If I have to buy an Eitr and or a Mimby, $400 which I already bought, I will be annoyed and no sale.

Dec 22, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #6,130 of 14,566
I think the consensus about putting gadget in DACs is as you say. However, Eitr is already "in" all currently shipping DACs at or above the bifrost level, and i don't know anyone clamoring to go back to gen 2 or 3. If gen5 can be put in the gadget for marginal cost, and it already requires a larger chassis for the processor, does angering people like you and me who already own Eitr justify crippling a product?

Dec 22, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #6,131 of 14,566
classical classroom podcast

That's a great podcast! Such an easy way to be introduced to so many different kinds of classical music. Instant like for Bel canto (episode 2).

If that is the 1974 Deutsche Grammophon recording, you are listening to my favorite version of Beethoven's 5th! Carlos Kleiber also has a fantastic Beethoven's 7th with the same label and orchestra recorded in 1975.

It looks like it is! If you'll excuse the Spotify link, it does say copyright 1995, but presumably that's for the digital version. The cover certainly says "Deutsche Grammophon", and mentions both the 5th and the 7th.

I think that Rimsky-Korsokov's "Scheherazade" is a great piece to listen to as well. I prefer the Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra/RCA version recorded in 1960. In fact, this is my favorite symphony.

Thanks, I'll put it on the list :)

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #6,132 of 14,566
It looks like it is! If you'll excuse the Spotify link, it does say copyright 1995, but presumably that's for the digital version. The cover certainly says "Deutsche Grammophon", and mentions both the 5th and the 7th.

Thanks, I'll put it [Reiner's 1960 Scheherazade] on the list :)

Yes, I have a CD with that exact cover art. In my opinion, those are the best recordings available for each symphony.

Let me know what you think of Scheherazade after you listen to it.

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #6,133 of 14,566
I think the consensus about putting gadget in DACs is as you say. However, Eitr is already "in" all currently shipping DACs at or above the bifrost level, and i don't know anyone clamoring to go back to gen 2 or 3. If gen5 can be put in the gadget for marginal cost, and it already requires a larger chassis for the processor, does angering people like you and me who already own Eitr justify crippling a product?
Riddle me this, Batman. When an EItr costs $150 and a Gen 5 board costs $100, how is requiring someone to shell out an extra $50 who wants USB decrapification cripple a product rather than requiring everyone to shell out an extra $100 and have no choice in the matter even if they have already shelled out $150? Gadget is not going to be sold to people as their first Schiit product.

Are you the guy who started out a post by saying "I don't mean to be argumentative" and then proceeded to be extremely argumentative? Apologies if you are not. Don't remember aliases that well.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #6,134 of 14,566
Riddle me this, Batman. When an EItr costs $150 and a Gen 5 board costs $100, how is requiring someone to shell out an extra $50 who wants USB decrapification cripple a product rather than requiring everyone to shell out an extra $100 and have no choice in the matter even if they have already shelled out $150?

Gen 5 upgrade card is $150. Eitr is $179. So for the extra $29 you are getting the Gen 5 card in an enclosure with I/O connectors, a power supply, and Schiit's labor putting it together, plus you have the ability to use it anywhere you might need USB to S/PDIF conversion. Eitr sounds like the bargain of the year to me. I don't understand your point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back