What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 27, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #6,151 of 14,566
First off the only thing I "stream" is something like Sirius on line or Radio Tunes for background noise. Second, I'm a selfish person because I only buy music I like or that I think I might like. I don't buy music to support the artists nor the record companies. I buy it for me. To enjoy. And I find buying CDs and ripping them to my server is the most convenient, most enjoyable, and best sounding way to enjoy the music. YMMV.

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #6,152 of 14,566
I have seen tracks out of order, but when I've gone to the same album on Spotify, I would found the tracks in the same wrong order. For this problem I believe that the record label is providing them in the wrong order. I agree completely about Tidal's terrible search function. Numerous times I've had to rely on something I knew about the performers to get Tidal to find an album.

Another pet peeve I have about Tidal is that when you expand the Now Playing window, it shows a spinning album cover, cropped into a circle. Often the metadata for classical albums is very sparse and I just want to read the text on the album cover, but Tidal is doing this stupid gimmick.

Read this article: https://www.mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark. The music labels consider their customers to be the enemy and they encode a watermark into the recording so that they can identify and track copies. A watermark should be inaudible but it was poorly designed and distorts the sound, like listening to FM radio with bad reception. The watermark affects some types of sounds (such as piano) worse than others.

Here's an example of what the distortion sounds like. Open tidal.com in the browser and log in, then open these two links in separate tabs so you can easily switch between them for comparison. The first album has the characteristic sound of the watermark distortion, which is like a fluttering modulation. The distortion runs throughout the album, but I suggest listening to track 29 (the famous Chopin funeral march) because the slow tempo and sustained notes expose it clearly. The second link is to an MQA version of the same album, and it does not exhibit the watermark distortions.

https://listen.tidal.com/album/4792430 (non-MQA with watermark distortion)
https://listen.tidal.com/album/77599591 (MQA)

320x320.jpg
Well done, with the A/B comparison!

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #6,153 of 14,566
First off the only thing I "stream" is something like Sirius on line or Radio Tunes for background noise. Second, I'm a selfish person because I only buy music I like or that I think I might like. I don't buy music to support the artists nor the record companies. I buy it for me. To enjoy. And I find buying CDs and ripping them to my server is the most convenient, most enjoyable, and best sounding way to enjoy the music. YMMV.
You stated that much better than I did, @Ableza.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #6,156 of 14,566
Side note: I'm not a fan of MQA, but I think I discovered something good about it. MQA recordings on Tidal do not appear to have the music label's watermark. Since MQA encoding already embeds an identifier, there is no need to also add a watermark. When some people say that they think MQA recordings sound better, it could be from lack of watermark rather than MQA technology itself.

That wouldn't be enough for me. I listened to the MQA on Tidal version of a track I know well at RMAF and, even in that noisy environment, it truly sounded awful. The headphone vendor was using MQA to demonstrate their cans, and after that -- my previous stop was over at Schiit -- I headed straight back to Schiit to congratulate Mike on his multibit DACs.

Dec 28, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #6,163 of 14,566
Or brush up on our Snopes. Or maybe we just stop saying The Initials That Shall Not Be Named. And also stop saying "my name is Inigo Montoya".
Uh.. Uh... Exactly! Uh...
I just want to date your avatar.

Vorrei avere un appuntamento con il tuo avatar.
Ich möchte gerne einen Termin mit Ihrem Avatar haben.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #6,164 of 14,566
Uh.. Uh... Exactly! Uh...
I just want to date your avatar.

Vorrei avere un appuntamento con il tuo avatar.
Ich möchte gerne einen Termin mit Ihrem Avatar haben.

不好意思, 我聽不太懂.
反正,恐怕你太年輕跟我母親約會.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back