What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 24, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #526 of 14,565
If being able to see in color was a mutation then was mor or less survival of the fittest...wouldn't it also be for sound. Being able to hear transients and changes in sound would be crucial to hear predators, dangers, running water, etc.

Anyway...to change the subject...I had a question for Mike...

Mike, did you have any part in the design and implementation of the Theta DS Pro Basic III? The reason I ask is because I see that model is using 4 X 1702 Burr Brown DACs. I just wanted to get your take on those old PCM chips as I see many were used in Theta DACs (PCM63s, PCM67s), but there were also AD1860 chips used in some DACs. I also see they all used Motorola DSP. I am sure these were particularl design decisions.

I also wanted to ask what you thought of the sought after TDA1541 and TDA1543 players. Many seem to tout these old players as having some "analog" type magic.

Sorry..but all this muti-bit decoder craze you guys kind of started in the community got me doing a bit of research on past multi-bit designs and I am intrigued.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #527 of 14,565
Our acute hearing and frequency range most likely also came out of our nocturnal foraging days.  The dim light conditions that caused us to lose our color receptors also enhanced our ability to detect the subtle audio cues that might whisper of impending danger or death.  Ain't nature grand?

But my favorite anthropological music context is the scene where they invented music (along with a lot of other stuff) in Caveman, with Ringo Starr and Shelly Long (but he actually married Barbara Bach out of it).  Owww!    

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #528 of 14,565
Ok...I'll bite. :wink:

As civilization progressed, so did music. One might argue that it culminated in this composition by Pink Floyd (Ummagumma).

Several small species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a Pict.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5gJ61uAHNk[/VIDEO]

For some reason, we listened to this waaayyyy more than we should have back in the early 70's; may speak to state of mind at the time!

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #529 of 14,565
Ok...I'll bite. :wink:

As civilization progressed, so did music. One might argue that it culminated in this composition by Pink Floyd (Ummagumma).

Several small species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a Pict.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5gJ61uAHNk[/VIDEO]

For some reason, we listened to this waaayyyy more than we should have back in the early 70's; may speak to state of mind at the time!

Oh Yeah!

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #530 of 14,565
All I have to say is if that was the "culmination" of musical composition, then music is in really bad shape. 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #532 of 14,565
Duuuuude! Pink Floyd! Early 70's! Summer of Love hangover still lingering. You had to be there.... aaand not really remember it, man.....

Oh I was there, but I was never interested in the depressed droning of Floyd.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #533 of 14,565
Mar 25, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #536 of 14,565
Oh I was there, but I was never interested in the depressed droning of Floyd.

Blasphemy speaking unkind words about Pink Floyd ( just joking).

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #538 of 14,565
There is no dark side in the Moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark. The only thing that makes it look light is the Sun.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #539 of 14,565
  There is no dark side in the Moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark. The only thing that makes it look light is the Sun.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back