What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 9, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #4,996 of 14,564
With all the great classical knowledge and suggestions in this thread, perhaps someone can recommend a great recording of Stravinsky's Concerto in E-Flat, "Dumbarton Oaks." It's a favorite, and I'm looking for an exceptional CD/digital version. I've come across only a few in recent years, and sadly my favorite version was released on vinyl by Nonesuch in 1968 and to my knowledge hasn't received a digital release (Nonesuch 71192).

I live in Saudi Arabia but am visiting a large music retailer in the states this week, so I have the chance to dig through some large classical stocks.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #4,997 of 14,564
With all the great classical knowledge and suggestions in this thread, perhaps someone can recommend a great recording of Stravinsky's Concerto in E-Flat, "Dumbarton Oaks." It's a favorite, and I'm looking for an exceptional CD/digital version. I've come across only a few in recent years, and sadly my favorite version was released on vinyl by Nonesuch in 1968 and to my knowledge hasn't received a digital release (Nonesuch 71192).

I live in Saudi Arabia but am visiting a large music retailer in the states this week, so I have the chance to dig through some large classical stocks.

I don't know. But I would look for Riccardo Chailly, or Boulez for example. And of course the original recording by Stravinsky himself. Not always the best recordings technically (recorded in the 1960s), but will give insight in how he meant it to be played.

Out of curiosity, where in Saudi do you live? I am in Khobar weekdays (most weekends I spend with my family in Abu Dhabi).

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #5,000 of 14,564
I don't know. But I would look for Riccardo Chailly, or Boulez for example. And of course the original recording by Stravinsky himself. Not always the best recordings technically (recorded in the 1960s), but will give insight in how he meant it to be played.

Thanks for the suggestions--I'll look for those. Definitely interested in others's suggestions so hope folks will keep chiming in.

Out of curiosity, where in Saudi do you live? I am in Khobar weekdays (most weekends I spend with my family in Abu Dhabi).

North of Jeddah--few hours away from you. Nice to live in Abu Dhabi? Some friends of ours recently relocated there and are loving it (esp. after life in KSA).

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #5,002 of 14,564
North of Jeddah--few hours away from you. Nice to live in Abu Dhabi? Some friends of ours recently relocated there and are loving it (esp. after life in KSA).

Never been to the Jeddah area. Riyadh is the furthest I have been from Khobar. AD is very nice yes. Quieter and more laid back than Dubai. And a much more open society than KSA. I really like it there. With the imminent opening of the Louvre museum the cultural life will get a little boost, all good :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #5,003 of 14,564
Have you heard Jochum's Bruckner cycle? I have it in .ogg and I'm still trying to figure out how to convert it to apple lossless (because I'm an apple biatch)

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #5,005 of 14,564
Have you heard Jochum's Bruckner cycle? I have it in .ogg and I'm still trying to figure out how to convert it to apple lossless (because I'm an apple biatch)
You can try XLD. Under Preferences->General there's an Output Format option. I've used it to convert to ALAC and FLAC simultaneously.

Once you have it set the way you want just Open the file you want to convert and it will immediately convert it. I just tried it using version 20170729 (150.3)

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #5,006 of 14,564
I don't think XLD does .ogg.

While we're on the subject, when I ripped the '55 Keilberth Ring from FLAC to apple lossless via XLD, I must have messed up some parameter such that i cut off a second or two from the end of each track and I'm too lazy/scared of my inadequate computer skills to try to do it again.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #5,007 of 14,564
There are two Jochum cycles, one on DGG and an older one on EMI. The older one is available as part of a 30 buck or so Box on Amazon "ICON" which has Beet and Brahms cycles a Bach B-Minor Mass, a Mozart Coronation Mass and a Beet overture or two. It is a steal, particularly since I like much of the older Jochum Bruckner Symphonies, Particularly 7 and 9. The newer one is amazing as well.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 11, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #5,008 of 14,564
The older Bruckner cycle:-
upload_2017-10-12_3-0-32.gif

The newer Bruckner cycle:-

upload_2017-10-12_3-3-15.gif

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #5,009 of 14,564
There are two Jochum cycles, one on DGG and an older one on EMI. The older one is available as part of a 30 buck or so Box on Amazon "ICON" which has Beet and Brahms cycles a Bach B-Minor Mass, a Mozart Coronation Mass and a Beet overture or two. It is a steal, particularly since I like much of the older Jochum Bruckner Symphonies, Particularly 7 and 9. The newer one is amazing as well.

Spotify links to Jochun Bruckner 2-9 on Warner/EMI

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #5,010 of 14,564
Does the gadget make its debut on the Schiitr tomorrow?

I just got my copy of the beautifully constructed "Vivaldi Edition: Operas (Volume 1)" — it's titled optimistically, though I doubt a Volume 2 will ever be released, alas. It's nine operas, and I've purchased Catone in Utica and Teuzzone separately. For $120 I think it was a steal, especially given the 12x12" hardcover book of Italian churches and synopses and other features. The libretti book is complete but otherwise perfunctory. (10 point font, english french and italian running side by side, etc.) If you like Vivaldi, this is a must buy. I got mine off Amazon.fr because it was like $60 than anything from the US. Took longer, but oh well. Not sure if the American versions have the same french but I'd assume so. This doesn't have a large enough audience for multiple SKUs. There's something glorious about the rhythm and pacing of Vivaldi's vocal music. The Gloria in D major is another great great example of a great composer at the top of his game. In my next book, a ruthless businesswoman is a conservative Catholic, and Vivaldi's sacred music is her foremost indulgence. I recommend giving him more ear time — Handel gets a little attention in the opera houses, but Vivaldi gets almost none. Alas.

I'm happy to have them, and will import them to my iMac in good time. Since deleting Tidal, I've also turned off iCloud Music Library on my phone and am treating it like an iPod circa 2005 because apple is so bad at services. As it is I'm just paying for iTunes match to have my library on my work computer, which at $25 a year is cheaper than getting the equivalent external disk, and I'm inclined to say more reliable.

Just finished weekly Opera Detention. Played the Karajan Immolation Scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back