What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 2, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #466 of 14,565
  There are multiple double blind tests (done at audio meets by a DAC designer) demonstrating sound quality improvements from using higher powered PCs (actually Macs) as compared to lower powered ones (meaning faster processor, etc. not power supply rating).

The tests do not indicate the actual source of the improvement, merely that a higher percentage of resource utilization decreases the sound quality.

So, at first glance, that would indicate a Raspberry Pi would be the wrong direction for high end audio.

But, it's possible that the design of the Pi board happens to remove the cause of the original problem, whatever it is.

So, it would be interesting if someone could compare the sound quality of their Pi to a more powerful conventional PC.

I would be intrested in seeing the setup of that test.  From computer to computer things change greatly with the parts used.  Even generations of the same Mac (ie mini, pro, etc.) would likely have differences in the power supply and other parts.  The only way I could see testing this is to have the same computer and swap the processor out for a higher powered one each time, keeping all other parts and software exactly the same.  

I use a Pi as my music player and watching the processor utilization even when playing higher bitrate files (24/192) the processor has a short spike (maybe a second) in the 20-30% range on a single core and then that core sits at 5-7% as the file plays.  Memory is only 1GB on my PI and usually ~20% is being used.  Im guessing the spike in the beginning is the buffer loading but even 1 of 4 cores hitting 20-30% is hardly stressing the system, I don't see how music playback would require any sort of real processing power.

For those who were interested, I got my Pi 2, Digi+ (transformer version), case, and coax cable today. After some trial and error, I got it set up with Rune Audio. My system is now as follows:

USB Western Digital Passport hard drive connected to powered USB 2.0 hub->Raspberry Pi 2 with i2s Hifiberry Digi+ board->Schiit Bifrost Multibit via coax->Vali 2 with Siemens E288C NOS tube via PYST RCA cables->Dyanamat modded HD600 headphones with SurfCables balanced cables and balanced to single ended adapter.

Prior to this, my chain was the same except I was using a mid-2013 Macbook Air to feed the Bimby via USB, without a Wyrd or Regen.

Using this new setup, which cost a little over $100 for the Pi, board, case, and coax cable, I can tell that the background is much quieter. Pretty darn black all told. This allows me to hear little details that the Macbook obscured, like the needle touching the groove on vinyl rips I have. This setup also has more dimensionality and better instrument separation. It's very easy for me to identify each element within a track now. The Bimby is already very good at this, and the SPDIF connection has made that aspect even more pronounced. The low end also feels tighter, so while it had heft before, now it also has more definition. 

While I can't speak to the Mac Mini setup that Mike discussed earlier in the thread, since I haven't heard it, this Pi2 combo is hard to beat for a little over $100 US. If anyone is even curious, I suggest giving it a try. It's an inexpensive and relatively easy way to get away from USB, and avoid all the decrapifiers, reclockers, and expensive USB->SPDIF converters.

I had a similar conclusion when I got my Pi setup.  Although I am running off of USB through a Modi, the background is much quieter compared to my desktop and laptop.  The hiss I can hear at with the volume cranked on my magni, and no songs playing, is gone when plugged into the Pi.

If you wouldn't mind I would appreciate your impressions in this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/795895/a-70-bit-perfect-audio-player

You had the Pi plugged into the NAS via ethernet, or you had your Pi plugged into your router via ethernet and wirelessly streamed music from your NAS?

Some people are reporting that using the ethernet connection produces some noise compared to using a USB dongle for an internet connection.  May not be an issue if using a GPIO output solution as your not sharing the but between USB to send music to the DAC and the ethernet to receive the music.  Would be interested to see what people are hearing.  

Mar 3, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #468 of 14,565
Originally Posted by Baldr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...  Finally, I have zero tolerance of ad hominem attacks.  Some of my most valuable friendships have been formed with those whose opinions were polar opposites of mine.

rather odd considering your interaction with me - when I have repeatedly said I am only arguing ideas, reasoning

are you honestly saying your comments below aren't calculated to be personally disparaging, dismissive - I see the below as ad hominem

any can go back in the thread and see I was responding to other posters asking about dither, and yes I did offer an explanation that I hoped was at a useful level for the questioners

at no time did I imply I was talking about any personal experience about with the yggy - just offering relevant EE info

I have long helped across head-fi interpreting specs, features, EE terminology, techniques

I would even expect there would some preference for an independent voice on these issues in consumer site

Mike's few nearly relevant statements can be interpreted as an indication he doesn't use dither - hard to reconcile dither with "bit perfect, dammit"

where I'm suggesting dither is better than rounding is inside the Yggy and Schiit's other R2R DAC boxes, applied after the upsamping, megaburrito filter - when the >32 bit DSP FIR output is cut down to the R2R DAC chip native bit depth

but at the Yggy's 20+ bit resolution the Audible difference is expected to be swamped by amplifier electronic noise, "quiet" home listening room background noise, microphonics of headphones converting your pulse, muscle tremors into sound

I promise from this point forward to refrain from any further postings on steam engine design, yak butter recepies, and rodeo roping techniques so that my lack of relevance may not cause @jcx any further confusion. I also read with interest (also on later posts) his lecture on dither and proper application thereof. I am not positive if @jcx is an Schiit MB DAC owner, a free-lance design debater/designer, or a dither activist.

If he is a dither activist, crusading for proper and fair dither for all, he is better advised to target manufacturers other than Schiit. Our software based Yggy makes the addition (or taking away) of dither, as well as many, many other dsp/filter variants trivial (read very cheap). Much of our far more expensive competition has no remedy at all without massive hardware changes. If he is a freelance debater/designer, I would implore him to pitch in and save the environment from the massive greenhouse gas volumes emitted by such wannabe designers as they verbally explain all the wrongs created by evil or naïve audio manufacturers.  In addition, he may find he has far more energy to actually build his own Device once he stops telling everyone else how wrong they are.

If he is an Schiit MB DAC owner, than I not just for him as well as all other owners I have barely relevant information herewith:

The Schiit MB DAC filters has no dither. Dither is normally added to improve low level measurements. The low-level measurements of the Schiit MB DACs are already amazing. If you have a player that offers dither options, I encourage you to try it out and come to your own conclusions. Experimenting with dither options is harmless.

This is not to say that I am opposed to dither. If I decide that dither (or any other megaburrito filter parameter) for the Yggy is needed in the future, it will be very easy for this to be offered.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #472 of 14,565
Dither is definitely better than blather........   
wink_face.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #475 of 14,565
  I always dither when downsampling.  It's a good thing.. Sometimes I blather about dithering too.......

And you only need to dither when converting 24 bit down to 16. Ahh, but enough about it. 
redface.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #477 of 14,565
@jcx, it's because you come across as extremely condescending to one of the premier dac designers in the industry. Your passive aggressive sarcasm sometimes read as attacks, Where Mike is simply very direct.

Yeah, but regardless I will not censor his post because he has a right to express himself as long as he does not sink further towards circling the drain of no redeeming value. 

In other news, I have been distracted by R&D lately but have been working on a new post: the difference between Sound Science and Sound Engineering; intellectual fiddlesticks vs the creation of audio value..

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 4, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #479 of 14,565
Only in your dreams......   
wink_face.gif

He could let you hear the prototype over the phone, but that would be self-defeating.....   
L3000.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #480 of 14,565
In other news, I have been distracted by R&D lately but have been working on a new post: the difference between Sound Science and Sound Engineering; intellectual fiddlesticks vs the creation of audio value..

While all of us are interested in what you have to say (which is why we are reading this thread!), it's worth noting that amongst 7 billion people, there is always going to be someone who is opposed to whatever we think.

From several decades on the Internet, I have found that it is like pouring oil into a baking pan - after a time, the oil will occupy every position in the pan.   Similarly, one can find someone who has any type of ridiculous viewpoint that you can imagine - and some that you cannot imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back