What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 19, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #436 of 14,566

Funny how Hifiberry offers galvanic isolation for 5 bucks, whereas Mike suggests "galvanic isolation solutions can cost in the $500-nearly $2000 range". Is it possible Hifiberry's galvanic isolation is poorly done?

That's why I said the $5 likely isn't worth it, if Mike is saying good isolation costs 100 times that amount.

I have edited my above post re galvanic isolation to stress that those comments and costs were proper to USB sockets only. 

The output of the Raspberry Pi is S/PDIF.  Proper S/PDIF design for prosumer and above digital out gear uses transformers, which give you inherent galvanic isolation.  Although I have no idea which transformer Raspberry Pi uses, many such lower end designs use ethernet transformers, which are ubiquitous and cheap.

So the clarified response:

S/PDIF galvanic isolation can be had for a very low production cost.
USB2 galvanic isolation is significantly more complex to properly accomplish, and therefore much more expensive.

Sorry for the confusion!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 19, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #437 of 14,566
  The output of the Raspberry Pi is S/PDIF.  Proper S/PDIF design for prosumer and above digital out gear uses transformers, which give you inherent galvanic isolation.  Although I have no idea which transformer Raspberry Pi uses, many such lower end designs use ethernet transformers, which are ubiquitous and cheap.

USB2 galvanic isolation is significantly more complex to properly accomplish, and therefore much more expensive.

Is there a chance we'll be treated in the near future with a Wyrd-like device that can output more than just USB, e.g. also feature a properly manufactured with galvanic isolation S/PDIF Coax and BNC, at non-outrageous prices? (I mean, splashing close to 1K for such a device feels silly.) This would perfectly complement an Yggy/Rag combo given available inputs...

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #438 of 14,566
If still want USB output, prolly not for less than $599 (current Wyred price plus $500 minimum for USB galvanic isolation). Putting transformers on the outputs would apparently lower that cost a bit, but you'd be giving up USB, which isn't a bad thing -- I'm using AES/EBU into Yggy.

I know you don't want to drop $1000 on this, but I have to say that adding a Mutec MC-3+USB reclocker made a significant improvement in my Yggy's sound -- seemed like the noise floor dropped and there is absolutely no digital glare anymore - even on crappy redbook recordings (and Yggy was already exceptional in this area) - yet it isn't imparting its own sound on anything.

In addition to reclocking, the USB input is galvanically isolated and I can use the AES/EBU output from the Mutec with Yggy; IMO, getting away from USB is a good thing.

There's an active discussion about the Mutec on Computer Audiophile Mutec MC3+ USB thread 

ChrisG

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #439 of 14,566

I have edited my above post re galvanic isolation to stress that those comments and costs were proper to USB sockets only. 

Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks for the clarification! I will get the board with the transformers.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #440 of 14,566
I wonder how many people worried about galvanic isolation could define what it is off the tops of their heads or even knew about it before they read some marketing material on the Internet? (This is not a slam against any of the above posts, just a comment...)

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #441 of 14,566
  I wonder how many people worried about galvanic isolation could define what it is off the tops of their heads or even knew about it before they read some marketing material on the Internet? (This is not a slam against any of the above posts, just a comment...)

Isn't it supposed to stop the hum from a ground loop? That's all I know.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #442 of 14,566
If still want USB output, prolly not for less than $599 (current Wyred price plus $500 minimum for USB galvanic isolation).
ChrisG

The galvanically isolated Intona USB is $258 shipped and Wyrd would probably be redundant for it. Still pricey for just a USB "trick", but not $500+ pricey.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #444 of 14,566

Isn't it supposed to stop the hum from a ground loop? That's all I know.

Yes, generally using opto-couplers or isolation transformers.  But have you ever had a ground loop issue due to a USB cable?  I haven't.  It's perhaps an issue with some extremely-precise instruments used in the medical world or in an environment where extremely low-noise is required and micro-volt ground potential differences can become problematic, but it is not really an issue in the audio world (or in the standard computer interface world.)  It's a solution in search of a problem in audio, me thinks.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #445 of 14,566

I always preferred using LAN streamers because of the isolation, so when I found that the Mutec had that, I thought I'd give it a try. Like I said, I definitely noticed more details coming through which I think may be because of less electrical noise coming in on the USB cable. 

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #446 of 14,566
Possibly the wrong place to express gratitude, but I already hijacked your thread a few weeks back and was able to gleen sufficient information to order a(n) Yggdrasil this morning. I hit up an old friend (yes Jam I'm referring to you buddy) and after a pleasant conversation and a kick ass Cohiba Behike 52 decided there is so much passion to get your ideas to work well and how you all want them to be - this is a product I am looking forward to owning. So Mike if you read this post, thank you for being such freakin smart and clever brother!

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #447 of 14,566

I'd never heard of it.  When I found out what it was, it was one of those, "Meh, whatever," moments and I moved on with my life.  

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #448 of 14,566
Seems like there is some confusion around USB interfaces.

If you come out of a USB port on your PC or mac, you are not "getting away from USB", you are still going into a USB interface. That interface might be built into the dac, or it might be an outboard box. And in any given case, there is no guarantee that one sounds better, you just have to audition each.

The comments of those that have truly abandoned USB with various diy solutions is real interesting -- hope to read more detail of those.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #449 of 14,566
Possibly the wrong place to express gratitude, but I already hijacked your thread a few weeks back and was able to gleen sufficient information to order a(n) Yggdrasil this morning. I hit up an old friend (yes Jam I'm referring to you buddy) and after a pleasant conversation and a kick ass Cohiba Behike 52 decided there is so much passion to get your ideas to work well and how you all want them to be - this is a product I am looking forward to owning. So Mike if you read this post, thank you for being such freakin smart and clever brother!

I read 'em all on this thread.  Thanks!!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back